- Holidays and Celebrations»
- Common Holidays
How to make Easy Cute Pouch
Handmade Heart Pouch
Please Rate This Heart Pouch. Thanks
About this project
It is not easy to find a perfect gift for ladies and daughters unless you really know what they want or what they fancy the most. We all know that women and girls go crazy over handbags, pouches and cute little bags, especially the branded ones which are leather made.
The truth is, with a tight budget at a time like this, there isn't any suitable ones which fit the bill.
Thus, I have decided to make a little pouch with a little red heart, small enough to slip into a pocket.
How to make a Heart Pouch
- Actually, cotton cloth would be the best material to sew for this particular pouch. Unfortunately, I don't have any in hand.
- Since the heart will be red in colour, the background for this pouch shouldn't be dark in colour or too much pattern as it will clashes with red, makes the whole pouch looks confusing.
- If you have a sewing machine, sewing will be as easy as ABC, fast and convenient. Too bad for me, I don't own one.
- Luckily, I found an old baby jumper which is white in colour with a few cute prints. Since white combines well with red, the little heart pouch produces stunning red heart that caught my daughter's attention.
- When I had finished sewing the pouch by hand, she exclaimed that it was so cute, just the pouch she wanted to put in her spare coins. I gave it to her as a Valentine's Day gift and the handmade card that I had made.
- I managed to save money and recycled unwanted clothes. As you can see below, I have provided the step-by-step methods, accompanied by photos for easy guidelines.
Hope that you have no problem following the steps. Have a great time !
Supplies you need:
Things That You Need To Prepare:-
- a piece of red cloth
- Some white cloth with cute prints
- a needle
- some colourful threads
- some red yarn
- a bottle of white glue
- a safety pin
- a white card- draw a heart and cut it out.
Step 1- Cut out the pouch shape
Measure and cut
- Measure the white cloth 9.5" x 3.5" ( height x width ).
- Cut it out.
- Turn the back of the cloth facing towards you ( the ones with blurred prints ).
- Fold it into half.
- Now, to sew the part to hide the yarn, fold down the top cloth 0.5" down, fold one side.
- Use a needle with 1 strand of thread to sew a temporary stitch across.
- Repeat the same steps on the other side. See photo.
Step 2 - Sew stitches
- Now, sew temporary stitch on the left side of the pouch.
- Repeat the same steps for the right side too. See photo.
- You will remove the temporary stitches later after you had sew the permanent stitches
Step 3 photos
Just above the temporary stitch, sew permanent stitch across the right side of the pouch with 2 strands of thread. Sew closely to the edge. This time, sew again, replacing the empty spaces. Thus, the stitches seem very close to each other. Tie a knot and cut off excess thread. Repeat the same steps of the left side of the pouch. Remove all the temporary stitches.Trim away the excess cloth on both sides so that the pouch looks neat and tidy. Now, both sides had been sewn with close stitches.
Step 4 photos
For the top part , just above the temporary stitches, leave 1cm space in order to insert the yarn later on and sew permanent stitch across. Sew the same stitch on the same spot twice, without filling up the gap. Tie a knot and cut off excess thread. Remove temporary stitches. Turn the pouch inside out. Your pouch is almost done. See photo
Step 5 photos
Turn the back of red cloth facing towards you. Fold into half. Put the pre-cut heart shape card on top of the red cloth. Remember to draw the heart shape slightly smaller than the front pouch. Trace out the shape with a pencil. Cut out the heart shape cloth. You will get 2 pieces of heart shape red cloth. Sew permanent stitches along the edges of the heart shape cloth. Remember to leave 1 inch gap to fill in some cotton later on.
Step 6 photos
Step 6 ..
Turn the red cloth inside out. Insert some cotton into the gap. Do not put in too much cotton into the heart, just enough to fill up the space. A little puffy will do. Not a fat red heart.
Step 7 photosClick thumbnail to view full-size
Use 2 strands of red thread to sew up the gap. Tie a knot and cut off the excess thread. Apply white glue at the back of the red heart. Ensure that all the space are covered with enough white glue so that the heart will not fall off. Pat the heart in the middle of the front pouch. Leave it to dry.
Step 8 photos
Measure the length of the yarn 2x the length of the pouch. Cut it.
Poke a safety pin into the tip of the yarn. Insert the safety pin into the hole ( top of the pouch )
Push in the safety pin. You will see some of the cloth gather together. Pull back the cloth so that the yarn is pull inside gradually. The whole process looks like a worm squirming into a hole.
Repeat the same procedure until the yarn comes out at the other end. Tie both yarn together and cut it.
Your little heart pouch is done!!
© 2012 peachy