- Holidays and Celebrations»
- Gifts & Gift-Giving
Ideal Gifts For the Pokemon Fan in Your Life
About Pokemon Gift Guide
This guide contains a multitude of suggestions for Pokemon fans, from young children to adults. All of the items recommended in this guide are personally owned by myself, or a close friend, and are genuine recommendations based on experience.
I have also carefully selected these items to include a wide price range to suit any budget. The cheapest item on this list is $3.90, the most expensive item on this list is £34.99. Some of these items are aimed at older fans, who are perhaps players of Pokemon Go, and some of these items are aimed at younger fans who enjoy watching the anime. Please note that some of the items on this list are not suitable for children under 36 months due to small parts or sharp edges.
For each item, I have included a detailed description of the product (including suitable age ranges or the relevant Pokemon games), the price of each product (including shipping costs where appropriate), the average customer review score for the product out of 5, whether or not the item is eligible for Amazon Prime, a positive 5 start review of the product and a critical or negative review of the product. I have deliberately chosen to include both positive and negative reviews in the interest of fairness since it is important to consider both aspects before making a purchase.
Items on this list are made up of items from both Amazon UK and Amazon US. This has been done to ensure that almost everyone will be able to purchase at least one of the items on this list, regardless of country of residence. Many of these items offer international shipping.
If you have any additional questions, there is a questions section on the Amazon pages for each item, however, if you would like to ask me a question about any of the items, feel free to comment at the bottom of this article and I will try my best to get back to you.
Scroll down to begin the guide, enjoy!
#1 The Official Pokemon Encyclopedia
This guide is for the animated series and includes any information that the young and budding fan could hope for! This book details all of the regions and Pokemon encountered by Ash on his journey to catch them all. With engaging stories and detailed explanations, this guide is also really useful for helping improve reading comprehension, while also containing bright and colourful illustrations that the reader is sure to enjoy and appreciate.
This guide contains a history of Pokemon and includes details on every generation of Pokemon, including gen 1. As a result, even some older fans who have found Pokemon through Pokemon Go can benefit from reading this encyclopedia.
I received an earlier edition of this Encyclopedia from a friend and it has permanent residence on my bookshelf, I have lent it out to people to read, and when I have guests over it always receives a comment and they end up having a quick read of it themselves. It is especially useful for quickly checking which pokemon I still need to get to complete my pokedex in the different games.
With an average score of 4.9 out of 5 from 237 reviews (including zero 1 star reviews), this guide is well loved by all ages from 4 to 24. This book is a hardback and costs only £9.99 (however it can be found on sale at £4.99 and is eligible for Prime)
A positive review of this product states:
- "My children are obsessed with this book, there is a huge amount of information and illustration and it keeps them entertained for ages. Great value for money."
A critical review of this product states:
- "Would make an incredible gift for a Pokemon fan. It's really quite brilliant and focuses more on the animated series side of things than the games. However, it does NOT contain the Pokemon from the Sun and Moon games (released November 2016). I don't think this is necessarily a reason to not buy for a Pokemon fan but just wanted to share this fact with people to avoid any disappointment if that was the expectation. (It was mine and it's a reasonable thing to expect from a book published the same month as the new game release). Otherwise, it's decent for a hardcover book. The print quality of the graphics is great, and the layout, including the index, will make navigating the encyclopaedia easy."
Avg. Review: 4.9 out of 5
Amazon Prime Eligible.
#2 Pokeball Portable Charger
Since Pokemon Go came out the number of portable chargers that I have encountered has gone through the roof! The idea behind a portable charger is that you can take with you when you leave the house and if your phone starts running out of battery, you just plug it into your portable charger and charge it back up to 100%!
Pokemon Go can drain your battery quite quickly, so if you're wanting to go out and take part in raids this portable charger is ideal for you! If you use your phone on your commute and find that it dies halfway through the day, this portable charger is a stylish way to top up your battery. With two USB slots, you can also charge two phones at the same time.
I have a portable charger that I never ever leave the house without. My brother has this charger, a Christmas gift from his girlfriend, and he finds it just as useful in his day to day life as I find mine. It can fully charge a dead battery a number of times before needing to be recharged itself, and the multiple ports are very useful for sharing. This charger can still charge a phone battery from empty to full even with more than one phone plugged in to it. The only personal downside is that it is not as sleek or inconspicuous as other portable chargers on the market.
This portable charger has an average review of 4.9 out of 5. The price of this item is currently $24.99. It arrives with a charging cable and a travel keychain. It comes in a black box decorated with Pokeballs and had LED lights that show how charged the item is, with all of them being lit when it is fully charged.
A positive review:
- "The Pokeball charges decently fast for as much power as it holds. It charges my s5 three times if I'm not using the phone while it's charging. I've dropped it two or three times, and it pops apart but is easily put back together. No cracks or chips or even scuffs to show that it's been dropped. And the colour is amazing, it looks so much nicer than the flat coloured Pokeball chargers I've seen. All around, it's a great product for the price and I plan on buying a few more backups."
The lowest rated review for this product is 4 out of 5 and states:
- "Just received an order of two today. The product works. Won’t have time to test their performance as they are a Christmas gift for my nephews. The product does look pretty dirty and scratched up. Not sure if this was a careless manufacturer or they are actually used."
Avg. Review: 4.9 out of 5
Amazon Prime Eligible
#3 Pikachu Cuddly Plush Toy
is appropriate for any age group above 36 months! This is a unique plush as it features Pikachu from Kalos, which is Ash's Pikachu in Pokemon X/Y/Z. This cute Pikachu wears Ash's famous hat and has his ears poking out from underneath, his hand is raised as if waving too. This means that this plush is a must-have for any collectors. If looking to buy for a collector, it is worth noting that there are other unique Pikachu plush toys available including a Pikachu wearing a Halloween themed hat and Pikachu holding an apple. Plush toys of other Pokemon are also available, including Squirtle and Gengar. This Pikachu Cuddly Plush Toy
Pikachu stands at 10 - 12 inches tall, is about 8 x 8 inches in width and weighs about 350g. He is very soft and is all fabric, including the eyes, as a result there are no hard parts which makes this a perfect bedtime cuddly toy, especially for young children. The manufacturer recommends this product to children between the ages of 36 months to 6 years, however, it is suitable for older age groups.
I received a Mew Pokemon plush from a friend over 5 years ago and it still lives in my bedroom by my door to greet visitors on the way in. He used to hang from the door handle, however, the loop that I used to hang him by snapped after a few months, so do be warned. Despite this my mew has been the recipient of many compliments and I have been asked a number of times where I got it from.
The current price of this Pikachu plush is £12.96 on the UK store and $17.49 on the US store. The average review for this product is 5 out of 5. This product is also currently eligible for Amazon Prime.
A positive review:
- "Very cute and cuddly plushie. Like all the official Pokemon toys, Pikachu is very well made. The hat is attached and is very loose and slouchy, but won't come off. Would be a great part of any Pokemon collection, and a great new friend for any young fan."
There are no negative reviews for this product, however, the lowest review (4 out of 5) states:
- "My 6-year-old daughter, loves this Pokémon Pikachu toy"
#4 Eevee and Evolutions Keyring
This keychain is a fun little gift for anyone who loves Eevee, Jolteon, Espeon or Flareon, all are included in this keychain. School-age children can attach it to their backpack, and adults can attach it to their keys. This gift is perfect for the Pokemon fan who already seems to have all of the merchandise, or for the fan who is bored of all of the merchandise aimed at Pikachu or the generation 1 starter Pokemon.
These keychain pendants are made of metal and have sharp corners, so they are not suitable for very small children who could hurt themselves with such type of items. Many of my friends have either one or multiples of these pendants, the biggest criticism of the product seems to be that the ring of the keyring is large enough for a number of house keys, but might not be able to fit house keys and car keys on the same ring. Otherwise, these pendants get lots of compliments, especially from children.
The price of this product is $8.95 with free shipping with Amazon Prime (it is also available for 47 with $3.99 shipping) and does ship from overseas so may take longer than you expect to arrive. The average review for this product is 4.3 out of 5. This item is eligible for Amazon Prime.
A positive review:
- "I recommend this brand! It came brand new, unopened, even the package itself was in perfect condition. All five charms on it are a very good size, and they look vibrant and colourful, and most importantly, are the right colours and characters! I absolutely love this keychain, and would certainly buy this brand again AND buy from the seller I bought from!"
A critical review of this product (1 out of 5) states:
- "Wasn't given any tracking number for the product. Then the product came a month late. It doesn't look very well made and is just kinda eh. A waste of a few bucks, since it missed the occasion/person I bought it for."
Price: $8.95 (with free shipping via Amazon Prime)
[Also Available for $7 (Plus $3.99 shipping)]
Av. Review: 4.3 out of 5
Eligible for Prime
#5 Pikachu Silicone iPhone Case
This super cute phone case is aimed at ay age group with a smartphone. iPhones are known for their delicacy and you'd be hard-pressed to find someone with an iPhone who doesn't have a cracked screen. This phone case is silicone which is durable and less prone to rips and tears.
This product measures 8.2 x 4.7 x 0.9 inches and is extremely light-weight at only 1.4 ounces. The most endearing feature of this adorable phone case is the iconic stick-up ears of Pikachu. Many people I know with this phone case get compliments every time they get their phone out. I have also seen students that I tutor who have this phone case and they proudly show it off to me and their friends whenever they get the chance.
This product costs $3.90 (plus $4.49 shipping). It has an average customer review of 4.3 out of 5. This is not eligible for Amazon Prime.
A positive review states:
- "This case is absolutely genius! I love how simple it is while being very distinctive. The material it's made of is very soft and rubbery, but it's also very thick and durable, so your iPhone is bound to be protected. All of the port cut-outs and buttons are easy to access without any hassle and the colour of Pikachu is very bright and the exact colour of Pikachu from the Pokemon anime. The case is absolute perfection!"
A critical review (2 out of 5) states:
- "I have purchased this product twice on Amazon. The first time I bought one, the case I received was a perfect specimen with no factory defects. When I repurchased from this buyer, the case had a handful of noticeable defects, including a burn in the silicone the size of a pencil eraser on Pikachu's tail. The brown colouring of the spots on the back and base of the tail is darker than pictured and doesn't look right. The black and brown silicone does not quite line up with the mould in several places. Overall this is still a good value, but I know there is much better out there."
#6 12 Pokemon Figurines
are perfect for any occasion. They are small enough that they can be put inside of Pokeballs and used as a Poke-hunt at a Pokemon themed party. They can also be put inside of a Pokemon themed advent calendar with each one being used for one of the twelve days of Christmas. These figurines can also be used as cake toppers at a Pokemon themed Birthday, or you could include them as party favours for guests. Anyone having a Pokemon themed movie night or celebration can find a use for these figures! These twelve assorted Pokemon figurines
Each figure is about 1.8 inches tall, the manufacturer recommends that these figures are not given to children under 3 years as they are a choking hazard due to their small size.
My flatmate has a miniature Mew figurine that she placed inside a small glass bottle with a cork. It is a very cute decoration and it takes pride of place in her bedroom where she shows it off regularly. This idea would make a fun keyring, or can be put on a chain and turned into a lucky charm necklace.
The price for a packet of 12 figures is $10.50. The average customer review for this product is 4.3. This item is (currently) not eligible for Amazon Prime.
A positive review states:
- "I bought these to add to my son's goody bags at his birthday party. They were a reasonable size and the paint jobs on them are good. I definitely saw much worse browsing for others. The kids were happy."
A critical review (1 out of 5) states:
- "These Pokemon figures smelled so bad that I couldn't even take them out of the packaging. I had hoped to use them for birthday cupcake toppers, but there was no way they could be used on/near food. Disappointed and returned immediately."
#7 Pokemon Go Plus
This product, made and sold by Nintendo, has been designed specifically for Pokemon Go players with the intent of improving and enhancing aspects of the game. The Pokemon Go Plus is worn around the wrist of the player, the player connects it to their app on their phone via low energy Bluetooth. This allows to player to perform some basic game operations without having the game open on their smartphone.
While the player is wearing the Pokemon Go Plus it will vibrate and an LED will flash green to notify that there is a Pokemon nearby, the player can then press the button on the device to throw a Pokeball at the Pokemon, the device will flash and vibrate if the catch is successful. The Pokemon Go Plus will also vibrate and the LED will flash blue when there is a Pokestop within spinning distance, the player can click the button again to spin the Pokestop and receive items.
The Pokemon Go Plus also tracks distance so you can hatch eggs and get candy for your buddy Pokemon.
The Pokemon Go Plus is compatible with iPhone® 5 / 5c / 5s / SE / 6 / 6s / 6 Plus / 6s Plus / 7 / 7 Plus devices with iOS Ver. 8–10 installed. Compatible with Android devices that have 2 GB RAM or more with Android Ver. 4.4–6.0 installed. Bluetooth® Smart (Bluetooth Ver. 4.0 or higher) is required to use Pokémon GO Plus.
I have a group of friends that I go out and play Pokemon Go with, and about half of them have a Pokemon Go Plus (or a Go-Tcha which is mentioned below) and absolutely swear by it and how it improves the overall Pokemon Go experience. It streamlines the process and is definitely useful during winter as it means that in cold weather you can wear gloves and operate the Plus rather than having to operate your smartphone with freezing cold fingers.
The price of this product is £34.99. The average customer review is 4 out of 5. This item is eligible for Amazon Prime.
A positive review states:
- "Though not for everyone, the Go plus is great for playing the game without staring at your screen - occasions where you want to visit places and go sightseeing but you know there will be a lot of Pokestops and it's hard to resist the urge to boot up the game.
I personally find it the most useful on the bus, as it tends to track Pokemon and Pokestops faster than my game while it's moving at a high speed, and tracks more accurately steps for your eggs when the bus is slowing down.
Overall, if you live in a city or an area with a lot of Pokestops you'll make the most out of the Go Plus - you'll find yourself with a surprising amount of items and Pokemon at the end of your day where you would normally be too busy to pay attention to the game. However, if you live in a rural area, I wouldn't recommend it - even though it's good for snagging Pokemon, you will run out of Pokeballs quickly without the stops to replenish them."
A critical review (3 out of 5):
- "The Plus has been useful during special events and for long walks, but there is such a delay between the app and the device, not to mention connectivity issues. Each phone seems to have a slightly different quirk. On my Oneplus Two, I have to connect it first via the Bluetooth settings, and THEN connect it via the Pokemon Go app, and even then 2 out of 3 times it won't register the device, and each time has to reset the Plus and delete it from the phone.
Had I known about the Go-Tcha I would've gone for that instead."
Avg Review: 4 out of 5
Eligible for Amazon Prime
#8 Pokemon Go-Tcha
Affectionately referred to as the Gotcha by Pokemon Go players, this item is a worthy competitor to the Pokemon Go Plus. The Gotcha also vibrates to alert the player of nearby Pokemon and Pokestops however, unlike the Plus, the Gotcha has a touchscreen and you just need to tap the screen to throw Pokeballs and spin Pokestops.
The Gotcha has the unique setting called 'Auto-Catch' when enabled this device will automatically throw Pokeballs at Pokemon and spin Pokestops and gyms without the player having to open the game or press the button. This feature is incredibly useful to wear when driving, cycling or at work.
As I mentioned previously, among the group of friends I have who regularly go out and play Pokemon Go together at least half of them have a Go-Tcha. The Gotcha is more popular among the people I play with than the Pokemon Go Plus due to its Auto feature which means that you don't even need to click any buttons and can wear it while out shopping or travelling. It is also more discreet than the Pokemon Go Plus which means that my friends can wear their Gotcha at work without any problems.
The price of the Gotcha is £29.95. The average customer review is 3.5 out of 5. This item is eligible for Amazon Prime.
A positive review states:
- "A great product. Pokemon Go is a terrific game, the worst bit is the grind of spinning stops and catching common Pokemon for Stardust and candy. This product does that while you walk, cycle or even drive at low speeds. Hence it leaves you the enjoyable task of raids and powering-up and catching the rare Pokemon. My only regret is not buying one sooner. It will get you through the levels much faster. I'd recommend the accessory pack too as it has two replacement bands and a charger. One of the replacements straps is black, so the whole thing is inconspicuous. The only downside is needing to expand the storage for all the extra items and Pokemon!"
A critical review (3 out of 5) states:
- "This is a good little gadget, but I can't give it more than 3 stars. I have only used it for an hour or so. I used it at the well-known shopping Mall in Copenhagen, and in 30 mins I managed to catch 134 Pokemon automatically. It then said it was out of pokeballs, even though I had over 100 great balls. I then realised that you cannot get it to just automatically spin pokestops. It will only spin a pokestop when there are no Pokemon to catch. However, once you have run out of pokeballs, it can't catch any Pokemon, and therefore can't spin any stops to get balls, so it just stalls. The only thing you can do is manually spin the pokestops to get balls but in a highly dense Pokemon area like the mall in Copenhagen, you will run out. This is why I have knocked it down by 2 stars. To summarise, it does a good job of automatically catching Pokemon and (when no Pokemon around) spinning the stops, but the 2 problems are:
1. It will only use pokeballs and not great nor ultraballs, even when you have run out of pokeballs
2. You cannot set it to only spin pokestops (without catching Pokemon) automatically"
Avg Review: 3.5 out of 5
Eligible for Amazon Prime
Other items that I would recommend for any Pokemon fan is any type of merchandise with their team logo on it. There are 3 different teams: Instinct, Mystic and Valor. Team Instinct has the legendary bird Zapdos as it's representative and is lead by Spark. Team Mystic uses Articuno as it's legendary representative and is lead by Blanche. Team Valor has Moltres as it's legendary bird and is lead by Candela. You can find t-shirts, badges, posters and more emblazoned with the team logos, and these can be bought from Amazon, Etsy and eBay.
I would also recommend looking closer at Etsy for unique and hand-crafted Pokemon gifts. You can find notebooks made from original Pokemon cards, Pokeball terrariums containing a miniature Pokemon figure, Pokeball lamps and night lights, Pokeball bath bombs which melt away in the bath to reveal a surprise miniature figure, and much more. Items on Etsy are hand-made to order, and as a result can be more expensive than mass-produced items. Items from Etsy may take a little longer to get to you, as they need to be made, packaged, and shipped all by one person.
It can also be worth trawling through eBay to look for unique Pokemon cards or to even buy Pokemon cards in bulk. Of course, the quality of these items may vary as they can be second hand.
Thank you for reading, I hope that my recommendations have been helpful. Feel free to comment below and share your experiences, especially if you buy something from this list! If you have any questions please do get in touch and I will try to answer your questions if I can.