Ideas for Christmas Card Messages
Making your own Christmas cards, but don't know what to say?
If you're making your own Christmas cards this year either to sell on sites like zazzle or just to send to your friends and family I've got a few ideas to get you started with the right kind of message.
It can be difficult to think of the right Christmas card message. Do you want to say something religious for the holidays? Or maybe just send out some good will? Had a tough year? Is Santa your guy? You have total writer's block and just need something!?
Have a look through these Christmas card messages. They might help you figure out which kind of message you want to use. And maybe you'll find exactly what you're looking for!
Basic / Classic Christmas Card Messages
First, let's go through all of the classic Christmas greetings that you've heard thousands of times before and those simple statements that are great for the season.
Why? Because if you want an "old fashioned feel" this is where you should start. Also, these Christmas greetings can be used on the front of your Christmas card with a more custom Christmas message on the inside.
- Merry Christmas (more American version)
- Happy Christmas (British version -- where "merry" has a "drunk" connotation.)
- Season's Greetings
- Christmas Greetings
- Happy Holidays
- Feliz Navidad (Spanish "Merry Christmas". Made popular by the 1970 song by Jose Feliciano.)
- Mele Kalikimaka (Hawaiian version. Bing Crosby popularized this with his 1950 song.)
- Peace on Earth
- Ho! Ho! Ho! (Santa's greeting.)
I don't want to get into how you can say "Merry Christmas" in every language on the earth. But here are a few from other languages that are commonly used in America.
- Joyeux Noël (French)
- Buon Natale (Italian)
- Natale hilare (Latin)
- Feliz Natal (Portuguese)
- Frohe Weihnachten (German)
Wishing You a Merry Christmas
If you want to send warm thoughts and happy wishes with your Christmas card, here are some well wishes for you.
- Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
- May your Christmas be merry and bright.
- Wishing you peace, love and joy
- To a Healthy, Happy, and Peaceful New Year!
- May the closeness of friends and the comfort of home renew your spirits this Christmas season.
- May peace, love and prosperity follow you always.
- "Good friends are hard to find, harder to leave, and impossible to forget." With this thought, I wish you a very Merry Christmas.
- The best of all gifts around any Christmas tree is the presence of a happy family all wrapped up in each other.
Santa Claus Card Messages
If you're making a Santa Claus based Christmas card (or if you're really looking forward to presents) here's a list for you to check twice.
Most of these sayings come from famous Christmas songs and poems. I've pulled out only the lines that would go best as Christmas card messages. Although, practically every line of "The Night Before Christmas" is great for a Christmas card.
- Santa Claus is Coming to Town (Title of the 1934 Christmas song.)
- You better watch out, You better not cry, You better not pout, I'm telling you why: (Verse 1 of Santa Claus is Coming to Town)
- He's making a list, He's checking it twice, He's gonna find out who's naughty or nice. (Verse 2)
- 'Twas the Night Before Christmas, when all through the house,
Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse;
The stockings were hung, by the chimney with care,
In hopes that St. Nicholas soon would be there;
The children were nestled all snug in their beds,
While visions of sugar plums danced in their heads;
- When what to my wondering eyes should appear,
But a miniature sleigh and eight tiny reindeer,
With a little old driver, so lively and quick,
I knew in a moment it must be St. Nick.
- "Now, Dasher! now, Dancer! now, Prancer and Vixen!
On, Comet! on, Cupid! on, Donder and Blitzen!"
- But I heard him exclaim, ere he drove out of sight,
"Happy Christmas to all, and to all a good-night!"
Religious Messages for Christmas Cards
- O come, let us adore Him!
- Come and behold Him, born the King of Angels
- All Hail! Lord we greet Thee, born this happy morning.
- Rejoice in the Lord
- Joy to the world, the Lord is come!
Let earth receive her King;
Let every heart prepare him room,
And Heaven and Nature sing!
- Joy to the world, the Savior reigns!
- He rules the world with truth and grace.
- May the good Lord fulfill you with His promises and bestow on you His many blessings.
- A Blessed Christmas to you.
- Wishing you all the many blessings of this beautiful season.
Bible Verses for Christmas Card Messages
If you want to have a religious Christian message in your Christmas card here are some bible verses with Christmas messages. (All passages are from the New American Bible version.)
- Psalm 72:11
May all kings bow before him, all nations serve him.
- Isaiah 7:14
Therefore the Lord himself will give you this sign: the virgin shall be with child, and bear a son, and shall name him Immanuel.
- Isaiah 9:5
For a child is born to us, a son is given us; upon his shoulder dominion rests. They name him Wonder-Counselor, God-Hero, Father-Forever, Prince of Peace.
- Matthew 1:21
"She will bear a son and you are to name him Jesus, because he will save his people from their sins."
- Matthew 1:23
"Behold, the virgin shall be with child and bear a son, and they shall name him Emmanuel," which means "God is with us."
- Luke 1:31-33
(31)Behold, you will conceive in your womb and bear a son, and you shall name him Jesus. (32)He will be great and will be called Son of the Most High, ... (33)and of his kingdom there will be no end.
- Luke 1:35
And the angel said to her in reply, "The holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you. Therefore the child to be born will be called holy, the Son of God."
- Luke 2:10
I bring you good tidings of great joy.
Funny Christmas Card Sayings
- We wish you a Merry Christmas ...... and a Happy New Year.
(Adding in the extra ellipses makes it easy to read this line with the music tune in your head.)
- Say "Cheesy Christmas Photo!"
(Obviously for a family photo card. Or maybe the dog in a Santa hat!)
- "The one thing women don't want to find in their stockings on Christmas morning is their husband." ~Joan Rivers
- "Mail your packages early so the post office can lose them in time for Christmas." ~Johnny Carson
- "Santa Claus has the right idea. Visit people once a year." ~Victor Borge
Didn't find what you were looking for?
If you think I missed something obvious please leave a comment so others can get more ideas.