- Holidays and Celebrations»
- Birthdays & Celebrations
Arts and Crafts Themed Birthday Party Ideas
Considering an Arts and Craft Themed Birthday Party?
Deciding on a birthday party theme is both fun and challenging at the same time. We recently celebrated a birthday party for a special little lady who loves arts and crafts. Here are some suggestions on throwing an arts-and-crafts themed birthday party.
Arts and Craft Party Supplies
Arts and Crafts Themed Birthday Cake
Your birthday cake can really set the theme for a birthday party - and it's delicious, too. There are lots of ways to tie a birthday cake into your theme. For our arts-and-craft themed party, we decided to make a cake that looked like an artist's pallet, as pictured here.
- white foam board from an arts supply store
- colored icing in at least five colors
- paintbrushes (or construction paper to make brushes like we did here).
- about 40-60 mini-cupcakes (the number can be adjusted depending on the number of guests you expect).
- silicone spatula
- box cutter or Xacto knife
- Using a pencil, draw a large artist's pallet on the foam board. It doesn't have to be perfect - allow room for creativity.
- Cut the pallet from the foam board using the box cutter or an Xacto knife.
- Swirl colored icing over the cupcakes, we used 7 mini-cupcakes per color.
- Arrange the cupcakes in small clusters - these will look like blobs of paint.
- Drop dollops of icing on the pallet to hold your candles.
- Decorate the pallet with paintbrushes.
Arts and Craft Party Activities
Now that you have your cake, it's time for party games and activities. Of course, arts and crafts are the perfect activities for an art-themed party.
Here are some fun ideas:
- Paint rocks - Let the kiddos paint and decorate rocks. If they are a little older, they can write inspiring words on the rocks, such as love or hope.
- Paint picture frames - Collect wooden picture frames from garage sales and let the kids paint them. You can also let them decorate the painted frames with sequins, beads, feathers or other crafty items. The great thing here is that the kiddos also have a great party favor to take home.
- Make tie-dyed t-shirts - This is a great craft for kids, just make sure and provide a smock or an old-t-shirt to wear over their party clothes when tie-dying. Again, the shirts the kids make can also serve as great memento from the party.
- Make (or buy) a chalkboard table - Our arts-and-craft themed birthday party wasn't complete without our chalkboard table, as pictured to the right. This was a great way for the kids to express their creativity.
- Set up an easel - An art-themed party really needs an easel to set the mood. Set up a canvas and allow each guest to add to the picture and sign their name. This is a great keepsake for the birthday child.
I hope your arts-and-crafts themed birthday party for your budding artist is as fun as ours. What other art-inspired activities do you recommend?