- Holidays and Celebrations»
- Common Holidays
Ideas on How to Spend Valentine's Day
Everyone is going agog, crazy, ga-ga and enamored during Valentine's Day.
Each year, there are many gimmicks, media blitz, promotions and sales that are being embraced by the public, especially lovers all over the world.
Any ideas you have in mind in order to be special and unique during the Hearts Day? We'll, if you haven't think of any activities during that common holiday, then, I can rattle your brain a little as to where you'll go this special season of love.
There...I said the magic word. Although, there's no magic about it, isn't it?
It's a known fact that LOVE is too big for the word to decipher.
From simple humanistic reasons and understanding up to the higher level of thinking for the Creator (Almighty God) and His Son (Jesus Christ) who saved the human souls from sins (John 3:16), being in love these days expresses our nature to show off during that special day.
It's not only here in the Philippines, USA, Canada, Europe, Australia but all over the world.
From the gods and goddesses of Mount Olympus in Greece or during the emergence of Roman empire, we are already acquainted with the Goddess of Love (Venus) or the Mighty Aphrodite and the name Cupid.
In fact, I've been acting Cupid to lovers who used to be my friends, then got married and enjoying their new statuses these days.
I'm still single, but I've been there, experiencing to be in love and be loved, falling out of love; not even know how to put closure to old flames (something like that).
So, if you're following the flow of my conversation, I'm going to give you my hints, based from my observations this year (2012), so that, you can have a very alluring, unique and special date on Valentine's/
Sorry, I already have a schedule on that day (I'll reveal it at the end of this hub, LOL!).
(With personal writings, opinion and biases from travel_man1971 aka Ireno Alcala)
Gift Ideas for Valentine's DayClick thumbnail to view full-size
What to give and where to spend your Hearts' Day
Be it tangible or not, gifts are often savored by the receiver. To tell you the truth, during Valentine's Day, every girl wishes to receive a special gift from their giver ( a provider who is a lover, or maybe a husband or a boyfriend).
I think, this is a woman's day or let's say Women's Day. So, men, are usually the giver of gifts for their dates, loved ones and special someone.
So without much further ado, here's what I observed from a one day trip, stopping from here and there in order to catch glimpses before the actual day.
Take note, those who are celebrating birthdays on that day will have a double treat from their loved ones.
- Flowers & Chocolates will be the most sought-after gifts this Valentine's day. This is a Rated 18 affair (for lovers only). I will also include those female teenagers who are also receiving gifts from their admirers or boyfriends, although, they still need the approval of their parents to go out on a date.
- Concerts are being produced here and there specially in the city. Like for instance, here in Manila, foreign acts often visit, rivaling local artists when it comes to ticket sales. Since, almost everyone are eager to celebrate during the special day, all concerts will have their respective audiences. The genre of music they'll offer will surely be love songs.
- Hotel and Motel Bookings are everywhere. Some are handing promotional gimmicks for prospective customers who'll spend the night inside one of the rooms of the said edifices. Married couples and lovers are discreetly availing it.
- Public Dancing or benefit shows are popular here in the Philippines. Each county or barangay will surely hold such kind of activity for those who cannot afford to go at posh venues for their special date.
- Blind Dates are apparent these days. It's not literally blind but the connotation is you'll have to meet a stranger for a date in a restaurant. The night will not surely end after the dinner if the two agreed to know each other better.
I can also include Lovepalooza, kissing couple for hours in public, but I'll leave it to the Guinness Records.
Or you can fancy gifts like perfumes, watches, earrings, red shirts!!!, slippers, cakes and even stuffed toys.
Well, if my suggestions are that tight, it's just because I'm also attending a special gathering for kids on that day. (Take a look at this photo.)
Anyways, I'll leave you with my greetings of Love, Peace and Harmony. Happy Valentine's Day everyone!!!
Note: Valentine's Day is celebrated by this world because of a special priest who insisted that people should be married even the order of the Roman Emperor Claudius II stated that all marriages be canceled during his era.
Father Valentine was imprisoned and didn't denied his belief as true Christian. He was killed on the 14th or 24th of February in the year of 269 or 270 AD.
And we still remember his courage up to these days and celebrate his feast day.
This is what I'll do this Valentine's Day (2012)
Spend it with Serenade: Classic Filipino songs for Valentine's Day
The following songs are already kept in a 'bloody' corner of my heart, but part and parcel of the lyrics are still remembered by my mind.
Although, I cannot upload my versions of these songs right now, I will share with you the lyrics of these classic Filipino songs. Some groups are already adopting it as part of their repertoire when serenading lovers dating at the restaurants.
I cannot remember the exact title, but these songs were also part of our class songs during my elementary years.
O, MALIWANAG NA BUWAN (Oh, Bright Moon)
O, maliwanag na Buwan, nakikiusap ako/Ang aking minamahal, sana ay palayain mo./Tadhana ma'y magbiro, araw man ay magdaan/ Ang pag-ibig ko sa kanya ay hindi maglalaho/ Hanggang sa kamatayan.
O, bright moon, I'm pleading you/let my love be freed by you/Even fate defies us, even the days pass by/My love for him will never fade/until our death.
O, buwan sa liwanag mo, kami'y nagsumpaan ng irog ko/ Giliw ko ang sabi niya, sabihin mong iyong-iyo/ O. buwan, pakiusap ko, saan man naroon ang irog ko/ Siya'y aking hinihintay, sabihin mo.
Oh, moon in your brightness, we promised/Dearest, he said, say it fully/ Oh, moon, my plea, wherever my lover is/ I'm waiting for him, say it to him.
(My sister used to sing this as we, her younger brothers joked that she is already in love.)
The next song is about Mother's Love.
'Di baga maraming pusong sasagingan. May pusong saba, may puso ng tundan. May pusong dalaga at pusu-pusuan. May pusong tapat, may pusong salawahan.
Ngunit ang puso ng magulang, ang siyang tunay na nagmamahal.
(This classic song narrates that there are many kinds of hearts, like banana hearts (saba, tundan), heart of a woman, or even those pretenders. There are pure hearts and foolish hearts. But the hearts of our parents are the ones that love us dearly.)
More Ideas on Valentine's Day
- Celebrating Valentine’s Day the Filipino Way
This hub features some of the ways Filipinos celebrate their Valentine's Day.
- The Single’s Diary: How to Have Fun during Valenti...
Feeling all alone this Valentine's Day? Read how you can have fun while being single in this special day.
- The Top 10 Worst Valentine's Day Gifts to Give (or R...
Valentine's Day is the time of year to give that special someone in your life a gift to let them know just how much you care about them. Unfortunately, people can be so caught up in the sentimental value of things that they forget how horrible their.
- Valentine's Day Fun For The Entire Family!
From making simple paper valentines to naming a star after your lover and lots in between. Find a unique idea to celebrate Valentine's Day with the family!
- Valentine's Day Gift Ideas
November 26, 2006 Valentine's Day is a day for lovers and a day when lovers, especially men, purchase romantic gifts for the love of their lives. What to give is always the question. For most women, Valentines Day gifts of chocolate and/or...
- Valentine's Day On a Budget
Valentine's Day can be one of the most expensive holidays. It is the holiday that you are supposed to say