Jamaican Christmas cake
Traditional Christmas (rum) Cake
Christmas in Jamaica is unthinkable without the traditional Christmas Cake that is enjoyed by all.
These are the ingredients: Remember there is no unique way of preparing this treat, there are many different recipes and they are usually just as delicious.
Begin preparation at least two weeks ahead, some people do one year ahead: the time period varies depending on the individual. Soak fruits in wine and rum for at least two weeks, or work with whatever timeframe you have.
* 1 1/2 cups flour
* 1 cup (2 sticks) margarine or butter
* 1 cup sugar
* 4 eggs
* 1 cup raisins
* 1 cup cherries
* 1 cup chopped prunes
* 1cup mixed peel
* 1 teaspoon cinnamon
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1 teaspoon baking powder
* 1 cup wine
* 1/2 cup rum
* 1 teaspoon vanilla
* 1 teaspoon almond extract
* 1 lemon or lemon rind, finely grated
* 2 - 8 tablespoon browning (depending on how dark you like your cake)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degree , grease a 9-inch cake pan
2. Creme butter, sugar and browning until soft and fluffy
3. Sift all dry ingredients together
4. Beat eggs, wine and rum untill well mixed
5. Add to the cremed butter and sugar
6. Blend all fruits using a food processor or blender ( Do not overprocess)
7. Add fruits mixture and then fold into flour mixture stirring just to combine. Do not over beat when mixing. (leave a small amount of mixed fruits to spread on top of cake)
8.Pour batter into greased 9-inch round cake pan, then spread leftover fruitmix on top of cake.
9. Bake for 1 1/2 hours, checking after one hour. Cake is done when it begins to pull away from the sides of the pan.
You can add wine and rum to the finished product (depending on your preference). This helps to preserve it for weeks without refrigeration.