- Holidays and Celebrations
Making Your Own Gifts
There are tons of great gifts that you can make and give. This can help you save money and can be fun as well. It will also give you great gifts that can be given to all sorts of people on your list. It is an easy way to take care of neighbors that aren't particularly close, acquaintances, a lot of friends, and co-workers. Get started early and you will have a stress free time making gifts for everyone on your list.
Use Your Talents
The first place to start is by using your talents. If you already have a hobby or you already know how to make things then turn that into a great way to give gifts. This can work for almost any crafter.
- Silk flowers can be arranged into great pieces that make great gifts.
- Wreaths can also make a great gift. You can give one for the holiday season, winter, or pick a spring theme so they can use it come spring time.
- Crocheting, knitting, or sewing offers a whole world of items that can be given.
- Beadwork and jewelry making also offers a wide range of items to be given.
- Woodworking is another one that will let you turn your skills and knowledge into great gifts.
Get creative and don't let yourself be held back. Also if you are reading and thinking, I don't have any of those skills or the tools I would need to make something, what should I do? Read on there are tons of things you can do that don't require a lot of creative juices or tools.
- Gifts In a Jar
For great directions on making beautiful gifts in a jar check out this Hub!
Gift baskets can be simple and also very useful as gifts. You can meet the personality of the person you are giving a gift to and or pick out a general gift that everyone will love. Here are just a few ideas to get you started.
- Coffee, tea, or cocoa lovers. Few people won't love something like this. You take a mug (you can get cool ones for $1 at the dollar stores) and add to it goodies that fit the theme you choose. For coffee add a sample of fancy coffee, chocolates (or a chocolate covered spoons), and samples of flavored creamers. For tea add a variety of teas and other goodies. For cocoa lovers put a packet of cocoa, chocolates, and or candy canes. Wrap it in cellophane to finish it.
- Movie lovers gift basket. You can include a gift card for a movie rental, microwave popcorn, candy, and other gifts in a movie lovers gift basket. Think a nice night in!
- Pencil box gift basket. For a child you can buy a pencil box and fill it with craft items. You can add crayons, pencils, paints, and all sorts of great stuff.
Don't let that stop you. There are literally hundreds of different baskets you can come up with. Think of things that the person loves to do. Maybe they love cats or dogs. Maybe they love really nice baths. Maybe you should just put together a sampler of goodies together.
Get In the Kitchen
Even if you aren't particularly good at baking or working in the kitchen there are things that you can make for gifts that are worth it.
- Bake some cookies. If you are bad at cookies then buy cookie dough and bake them. There are tons of ideas out there and it will be well worth it.
- Make super easy fudge. No matter who you are you can make this fudge. You need a can of regular frosting any flavor and a 12 ounce bag of chips any flavor. Melt them together in the microwave (make sure the bowl is microwave safe) and then stir well. Place in a greased baking dish and stick in the fridge to harden. You can add vanilla, dried fruits, nuts, and other ingredients for added flavor. Choose any combination you want such as dark chocolate frosting with cherry chips, vanilla frosting and butterscotch chips, or cream cheese frosting with chocolate chips.
- Make mixes. You can make a wide range of mixes that can be placed in a jar and given away. Consider adding all the dry ingredients to a cake recipe or cookie recipe. Then include the recipe and instructions to complete the item. You can also make homemade hot chocolate mix in a jar.
- Chocolate covered pretzels, strawberries, or even spoons (which can be used as part of the gift) can make for great items that are also easy to make.
Other Items You Can Make
The lists are really endless. You may want to consider other items that you can make. Here are just a few to get you started.
- Candles. You can buy candle kits pretty inexpensively and that will let you make candles. These easy to make gifts are often well received.
- Potpourri is something easy to mix up and can make a wonderful gift. You will need to gather dried flowers, leaves, pine cones, and other items you want to mix in. This is really about the looks. Then use essential oils to make it smell great.
- Bath salts. These are also really easy to make. You will need salt, a dab of oil, and some essential oils. Mix and dry in a warm oven. For detailed instructions check out the Hub Making Your Own Bath Salts.
- Calenders. You can also make your own calenders. These are great to give at Christmas. You can make them by hand or on the computer. This lets you make ones that match what your gift recipient would like. Make one with cats for the cat lover. Or funny sayings for the person in need of a good laugh. Add family photos to mom's or grandma's. Get creative and have fun with it.
Don't stop there. You just need to get your creative juices flowing and you will be able to whip out inexpensive and creative gifts to give everyone on your list. Have fun with it and enjoy thinking up great gifts to give. You can do it!
- Great Homemade Gift Ideas
More ideas for those in need of just a bit more!