Mardi Gras Bead Crafts
Easy Bead Craft For Candle Votives
My Exact Beads Used
- 33" 7mm global beads, Purple & Gold - Toomeys Mardi Gras
1 Bag/12dz - .901 Case/60dz - .00
Scissors and Beads
Mardi gras is a fun holiday that is rapidly gaining ground across the nation. Inexpensive beads are easy to find or to order online. If you have a relative on the Gulf Coast, see if they will mail you a variety of beads. With just a pair of scissors and some basic small size 7 millimeter beads, your children will be entertained for many hours. The 7 millimeter size is thrown the most since it is the least expensive. I like to use the "global" ball style of bead, which look like disco balls. This dimensional shape reflects light differently. The beads can be twisted together, thus making a new use out of basic beads. When the beads are twisted, the bead's shape facilitates the firm snapping together. My daughter first began making bead animals. She designed the following bead votive decoration, which we use to decorate basic candle votives as well as use their circular shape for free ornaments for our Mardi Gras tree. These could be used to make elaborate necklaces, bracelets, or unique garland. They do take a while to make, so start small.
The Beginning of the Bead Twisting
Mardi Gras Ornaments
- Cut one strand of beads 9 inches long; this is your base. ( I used purple)
- Find the color strands you want for the fringe sections ( I used purple and gold only- the original colors)
- Take purple beads and cut a length every 12th ball. You will need roughly 12-14 of these.
- Take gold beads and cut a length every 12th ball. About 12-14 of these.
- Stretch out 9 inch base, starting at the base's 6th bead ball, get a purple fringe piece you cut.
- Since there were 12 bead balls you counted for the fringe piece, place it evenly on the base piece. This will divide the fringe's 12 bead balls in half so there will be 6 bead balls of the fringe on either side of the base. Twist base and fringe piece together. (Repeatedly doing this will eventually hurt your thumbs after all while)
- Take a gold fringe piece, move down one bead on the base bead length and do the same thing.
- Continue until you leave 6 bead balls on the bead base.
- When you finish, you will take both 6 bead ball ends of the bead base and twist them around the candle votive.