Medical School Graduation Ideas: Announcements, Party Themes, Cakes, Gifts, and More
There are numerous resources out there for high school and college graduations. While it is important to celebrate these milestones, graduations from higher degree programs, such as medical school and PhD programs, should be appropriately recognized as well. While you're planning a party, make sure that you consider cakes, other desserts, and invitations.
Kenny's Graduation from Medical School
- White coat. There are so many fun details that you can include on this cake including a stethoscope, residency program name, Rx, and Dr. _____ label. Many people choose to personalize the dress shirt or other garment under the coat as well, including a necktie for guys. Consider including additional medical items, such as a syringe, as well as a "congrats" message. Additionally, consider customizing this as surgical scrubs for medical students going into surgical residencies.
- Pill bottle and drugs theme. This one may not be for the faint of heart, but it's another popular medical theme. Adorn a cake with prescription pill bottles spilling over with assorted pills. Stick a few Band Aids to the sides of the cake for good measure, too.
- Anatomical theme (i.e. human heart, brain). This is another theme that may not be for the faint of heart but is plenty appropriate for a med school graduation.
- Operation game. While Operation has very little to do with medical school and the practice of medicine, it will get a smile out of everyone. Red velvet cake seems to be a frequent choice for the cake.
Tip: Good 'n Plenty and other types of candy make great fake pills for cakes and other med school party desserts.
- Medical items cupcakes. Cupcakes are a perfect size for all kinds of different medical items including Band Aids, prescription pads, pills, stethoscopes, other medical gear (knee hammer, thermometer, syringe, etc.), reference books, and lab coats. Keep it simple with one item for all of your cupcakes or mix it up and include a variety of items for your batch.
- Brain cupcakes. It will take a couple tries to get the frosting technique down to create brains, but it will be well worth it.
- Shaped and frosted cookies. There are a number of medically themed cookie cutters available online. Frost your baked cookies accordingly.
- Medical staff cake pops. Jump on the cake pop trend and decorate your pops as surgeons, internal medicine doctors, and nurses.
A Day in The Life of A Medical Student: "Anatomy"
Consider the following messages, phrases, and ideas for your medical school invitations and/or announcements:
- "____ [insert name] finished medical school at last!"
- Announcement or invitation written on a fake Rx pad with "prescription to party" across the top.
- "You can call me doctor."
- Include the school colors and/or medical school logo.
Don't forget to include a card with your gift!
- Graduation Card Ideas for High School and College: Sayings, Messages, Printables, and More
This article is about graduation card ideas for high school and college. It includes sayings, messages, printables, and more. There are ideas for money cards and for imagery with caps, gowns, and owls.
- A nice watch. Many people do not purchase nice watches themselves. At the point that students are finishing med school, this is an item that has most likely not been a priority. If you need advice about what kind of watch the recipient would prefer, consult a close family member or friend.
- High end medical bag. A professional medical bag adds a great touch to an outfit or an office for both men and women.
- Professional clothing. Most medical students will have a decent selection of professional clothing from their student rotations, but who can't use a few new pieces?
- Keep Calm I'm The Doctor gear. For those who enjoy Doctor Who, this is a really fun gift idea. You'll find iPhone cases, t-shirts, jewelry, magnets, and much more with this phrase. Don't forget to check out Etsy for handmade items.
- Trust Me I'm a Doctor gear. This is another popular doctor phrase that you can find on numerous types of gear.
- Caduceus themed items. There are many items out there that feature the caduceus including both professional and funny items.
- Profession specific gear. Look for items designed specifically for different fields of medicine (i.e. surgery, dermatology, etc.).
- Gift related to the residency location. Many people complete their residencies in different locations than their medical schools and will be moving shortly after graduation. Consider giving restaurant gift certificates. museum and other local memberships (i.e. zoo), and maps.
Are you considering attending medical school? The following institutions all have great programs.
Ain't Nothin' but a Med Skool Party
More Great Party Resources
- notes, quotes & anecdotes of a year fast passing
med school graduation party ideas no, i did not graduate from med school. no, i don’t like science. no, i will never be a doctor. my friend ashley, on the other hand…
- Graduations and Graduation Parties: How to Save Money
This is an article that I wrote about how to save money on graduations and graduation parties. It includes a lot of DIY options and resources for bulk or cheaper purchased items.
- How to Make Cupcake Toppers
Personalize your next party or other special occasion with cupcake toppers. This article gives you all of the information that you need to make them yourself.
- Alcoholic Popsicle Recipes: How to Make Popsicle Margaritas, Cocktails, and More
This article contains a wide variety of alcoholic Popsicle recipes. It includes recipes for Popsicle margaritas, mojitos, and other cocktails as well as recipes with beer and with tequila.