- Holidays and Celebrations
Party Themes - Little House on the Prairie
For generations the world of Laura and her sisters has captured the hearts and imaginations of little girls and has even resulted in a television series. Bring the prairie life into your own home with this fun, simple and creative birthday theme.
Recommended for ages: 6-10
Idea #1 - If your guest list is short, or if you really like to sew, make a bonnet for each child in an old fashioned floral fabric. Otherwise purchase the bonnets. Send them with a note attached with the party information to your guests ahead of time.
Idea #2 - Tie a few peppermint sticks together with a card taped to it with the party information.
- Many cities have one room school houses that are now museums or field trip destinations. Look into renting one of these for your party if possible.
- Invite your guests to dress up in period clothing
- Prop a washing board against the wall
- A wheelbarrow to put the gifts into
- Old fashionded quilts covering the furnature
- Gingham tablecloths
Games and Activities
- Give each child a 5” square piece if fabric and fabric markers. Have them either draw a picture for the birthday girl or write a happy birthday message. Then after the party you can sew the pieces together to make a special blanket for the birthday child to remember the special event.
- Fill a large bucket with soapy water and let the kids take turns with a washing board
The School Yard
- Teach the kids olden days games such as marbles, jacks, and jump rope.
- With a large button and some thread the children can make a fun old fashioned toy. (the video below shows how)
- Popcorn (make it on the stove with a glass lid and let the kids watch it pop)
- Cold cuts
- Corn bread and chili
- Biscuits (have the kids help make them from scratch)
- Fried Chicken
- Rootbear in glass bottles
- On a sheet cake covered in green frosting to look like grass use lincolin logs to build a cabin.
- Small slates and chalk
- Cookbooks with food from the Little House books
- Rag Dolls
- Old Fashioned hard candy