Patriotic Gelatin Salad Recipe
When invited to a barbecue, it is customary to bring dessert. This recipe is very patriotic and beautifully done. Please attempt this recipe a few times before actually bringing it to the party. It is more complicated than it sounds. My housemates and I tried to make it today. It did not look like the picture below.
This recipe takes time to prepare since each layer must be set before the next layer is added. This allows the jello to look neat and clean.
This recipe's link was sent by a friend. I wanted to share it with everyone. Credit goes to: http://go.tipjunkie.com/ju/544/www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Patriotic-Gelatin-Salad
Nutritional information is also on this website.
- 2 Packages (3 oz each) Berry Blue Gelatin
- 2 Packages (3 oz each) Strawberry Gelatin
- 4 cups Boiling Water, divided
- 2 1/2 cups Cold Water, divided
- 2 envelopes Unflavored Gelatin
- 2 cups Milk
- 1 cup Sugar
- 2 cups Sour Cream
- 2 Teaspoons Vanilla extract
- In four separate bowls, dissolve each package of gelatin in 1 cup boiling water. Add 1/2 cup cold water to each and stir. Pour one bowl of blue gelatin into a 10-in. fluted tube pan coated with cooking spray; chill until almost set, about 30 minutes.
- Set other three bowls of gelatin aside at room temperature. Soften unflavored gelatin in remaining cold water; let stand 5 minutes.
- Heat milk in a saucepan over medium heat just below boiling. Stir in softened gelatin and sugar until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat; stir in sour cream and vanilla until smooth. When blue gelatin in pan in almost set, carefully spoon 1-1/2 cups sour cream mixture over it. Chill until almost set, about 30 minutes.
- Carefully spoon one bowl of strawberry gelatin over cream layer. Chill until almost set. Carefully spoon 1-1/2 cups cream mixture over the strawberry layer. Chill until almost set. Repeat, adding layers of blue gelatin, cream mixture and strawberry gelatin, chilling in between each. Chill several hours or overnight