- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 cup warm water
- 3/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda, levelled
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder, levelled
For the Vanilla Cake
- 250g self raising flour
- 2 tbsp icing sugar
- 100g butter, melted
- 379g condensed milk
For the Pinacolada
- 400g/ 1 tin pineapple pieces
- 90g/ 1 cup fresh coconut, grated
- 2 tbsp Malibu liquor
- 500 ml fresh cream, whipped
- 4 tbsp grated white chocolate for decoration
This cake has two steps:
- Bake the ordinary vanilla cake
- Decorate and flavour it
The Basic Cake
- Mix all the ingredients and mix it thoroughly, it should be a smooth thick paste
- Grab an 18 cm diameter tin and grease it with butter, then dust it with flour
- Pour the mixture into this tin
- Make sure you have pre-heated your oven before you put the cake mixture in
- Bake at 170°C for 40 minutes
- Put a knife through to check if its baked properly, the knife should come out clean
- Let the cake cool on a wire rack
- Once cooled leave the cake into the fridge overnight.
The Pinacolada Cake
Now that we have completed Step 1, let's move on to step 2.
- Drain the pineapple pieces. keep syrup aside. Cut cake into 3 equal parts horizontally
- Place one piece of cake on a cake board, soak it with syrup
- Spread pineapple pieces on top. Sprinkle a third of the grated coconut.
- Spread a little fresh cream on top. Place the second piece of cake on top and repeat step 3 again
- Soak the third piece of cake with syrup and place on the second layer. Spread cream on top
- Decorate with grated coconut and grated white chocoalte.
- Chill overnight before serving.