- Holidays and Celebrations»
- Birthdays & Celebrations
Who do you like better - R2D2 or C3PO?
May the Force be with you......
My son is know for asking for some seriously creative birthday cakes. He always has a drawing (or three) ready in case I cannot come up with some supercool ideas on my own.
This year's birthday theme was Star Wars. As you see above, my son gave me several options of what he wanted as a cake. As I laughed at the "options" I was given, I had to figure out something that would make him happy, but not make me crazy.
We love Campfire Marshmallows that we purchase over the summer to roast over a campfire. They are serious fun (that's another story for another time). Anyway, I purchased some the other day at the store on clearance, figuring maybe we can have a campfire in the fireplace over the winter.
As I rooted around in the pantry the other day, I saw them and an idea sparked. One of my son's ideas was to have Star Wars characters on the cake acting out scenes. I thought, I can make a R2D2 out of marshmallows!
So, the idea was born!
Here is what I did to make R2D2:
Campfire Marshmallows (or other sized marshmallows)
scissors and knife
pictures of R2D2
1. Start out with one whole marshmallow.
2. Take another marshmallow and cut off two sides. Take the sticky part of these sides and adhere them to the sides of the whole marshmallow to make R2's legs.
3. Cut off the top of a marshmallow and round off with scissors to make R2's head. Place (sticky side down) on the top of the body.
4. If parts are not sticking as you would like, use toothpicks inserted into the body to hold it all together, or wet the insides with a tiny bit of water. It will make it stickier. Do not overdo the water - it will just make it messy.
5. Use edible food colorings, gels, sprinkles, etc... to decorate R2D2. I used a book picture as a guide so it would be more accurate.
6. Have fun!