- Holidays and Celebrations»
- Common Holidays
Romantic Valentine Poems
The History Of Valentine's Day
- On the 14th of February, we exchange cards and gifts with our loved ones in the name of St Valentine. The history of Valentine's Day is a bit of a mystery, but February has always been the month for romance. St Valentine's day is made up of both Christian and Roman traditions.
- There is a legend that Valentine was a priest around the time of the third century when the Emperor at the time Claudius II decided that all young single men should not marry as they made better soldiers without the burden of wives and children. Valentine went against the Emperor and married young lovers in secret until being found out then he was put to death.
- Another legend is told of Valentine being in prison and falling in love with his jailer's daughter, to whom he sent a love letter signed “From your Valentine” which is the same expression we use today.
- Whether these legends are true or not it is always traditional to give your loved one a card with a romantic verse and a gift. I love writing poetry so I wrote these poems with Valentine's Day in mind, I decided to include romantic frames with them to add to the romance. You may use them if you wish but if you post them on another site please link back and give me the credit.
Valentine PoemsClick thumbnail to view full-size
Do send a card on Valentine's Day?
© 2012 Ann-Christin