Spells for Samhain (Halloween): Easy, No-Fuss Folk Magic
Easy Spells for Samhain (Halloween)
Spells Don't Have to Be Elaborate
If you're new to Witchcraft and are just getting ready to start your magical path, you might feel discouraged when you look up spells online or in books. Many call for things like an athame (ritual knife), ground incense burned over coals, essential oils or herbs like 'dragon's blood' and 'Adam & Eve root'. The might instruct you to 'cast a circle' or 'call the quarters', things you may not yet be familiar with doing. If you don't have a good teacher, it can be disheartening-- you might think you won't be able to do magic until you somehow become rich so you can buy all these nifty tools and fancy spell components.
Well, I have some very good news for you: the only thing you need in order to do magic is your own mind. You do not have to have a lot of expensive ingredients or any fancy tools. In fact, you can do spells for anything your heart desires just with a few things you have lying around the house.
Why Samhain (Halloween) Is Such A Good Time for Magic
Magic Made Simple
Magic has been around for thousands of years-- long before our ancient ancestors had Amazon.com or Llewellyn catalogs. People have traditionally used what was available to them and worked with what they have. If they needed a knife, they didn't go out to buy a fancy athame; they went to the kitchen and got a knife. If they had chicken bones and banana leaves in abundance, that's what they used. If mandrake root did not grow in their region, they didn't use mandrake root.
Likewise, while circle casting and various rites do have a place in magical history and are commonly used among people of certain paths, they are not universal. Don't feel like your magic will be any less potent just because you have a different technique-- it's like the difference between classical and jazz music. Neither is better, it's a matter of preference.
You can do magic with things you find around the house, without elaborate rituals and rites that you're not yet comfortable with.
Apple Binding/Banishing Spell
You Will Need:
- 1 apple
- 1 regular kitchen knife
- 1 small piece of paper
- 1 pen
- 1 ball of black yarn or roll of black ribbon
- Think about a problem that has been plaguing you. Write it on the paper with the pen.
- Focus on the problem and pour your frustration into the paper.
- Cut open the apple, cross-wise. Behold the pentacle inside, made by the seeds. It is a symbol of banishing and transformation.
- Envision your situation turned around now. Imagine yourself living as you wish you were. Try to feel the feelings, enjoying life without this problem that plagues you.
- Fold up the paper and put it between the two cut halves of apple. Hold the apple as if it were whole again.
- Take the black yarn and begin winding it around the apple, chanting for it to banish or bind your problem. Wrap and wrap and wrap your apple up as much as you wish to build energy.
- When you feel done, tie off your yarn. Take the apple outside somewhere, off your property, perhaps by a crossroad or in a graveyard. Bury it and be done with it.
Psychic Vision Potion
You Will Need
Warning: This potion is NOT for drinking. Please see instructions for use below.
- a pot
- any or all of the following pantry herbs: bay leaf, celery seed, cinnamon, ginger, lemon peel, marjoram, peppermint, sage, star anise
- moon stone (optional)
Potions 101 Video
Potion making doesn't have to be done at an altar. You don't need a cauldron. You don't need any fancy ingredients or tools. As long as you have a functioning kitchen, you can make a potion at any time.
- Put the pot on the stove on medium heat and add the water Let it come to a simmer.
- Take each ingredient one at a time; charge it and add it to the potion. Stir clockwise 9 times between each addition.
- Add a couple of healthy pinches of salt to help preserve the potion.
- Take it off the heat and let your potion steep for a while.
- Strain the potion and put it in a container. If you have a moonstone, add it to the container to help empower it. Then put the potion out under the full moon for a few hours one night.
It'll keep in the fridge for several weeks, or you can pour it into ice cube trays, freeze it, then put the ice cubes in a container or a baggie to preserve in the freezer. This will give you single-size portions.
How to Use Psychic Vision Potion
Do NOT drink this potion!
You can pour it into your bath, wash your hands with it or anoint yourself with it when you are preparing to do psychic work. If you are trying to induce psychic dreams, add some to a warm bath before bedtime.
You can put it into a spray mister and mist the room with it as well when you are planning to do psychic work. Alternatively, place it in a potpourri crock pot and let the steam fill the room.
If you have any divination tools, such as a scrying mirror or crystal ball, you can wash them with the spray.
Pumpkin Seed Health Charm
You Will Need
- pumpkin seeds
- dried rosemary
- ribbon or string
- a small scrap of green fabric (about 4-6")
- Lay the scrap of fabric on the table and focus on the color. Envision yourself in good health, feeling happy and fit.
- Draw the run URUZ (see below) on the center of the fabric with magic marker.
- Consecrate and charge the pumpkin seeds to bring good health and place them on the fabric. Envision you are 'planting' healing energy in your life so that it will flourish.
- Consecrate and charge the rosemary and place it on the fabric, over the pumpkin seeds.
- Do the same with the allspice.
- Gather up the ends of the fabric into a pouch and tie it closed. Say a blessing or prayer over it that it may draw good health to you. Carry it in your pocket or purse.
© 2018 Mackenzie Sage Wright