How To Make a Spiderman Birthday Cake
Custom Cake Topper
Spiderman Birthday Cakes and Cupcakes
Spiderman is one of the most famous Superheroes of all time. His popularity has not waned. He has certainly stood the test of time. My 4 year old loves Spiderman and chose a Spidey backpack for Preschool this year. The funny thing is that he has never watched a Spiderman show or movie, but for some reason he loves him anyway. It must be a boy thing. He just thinks Spiderman is "cool". I agree. Spidey is most definitely cool!
If your son loves Spiderman, this would make a perfect party theme for their next birthday celebration. I will include lots of fun ideas on this page to help you create an awesome Spiderman birthday cake for the occasion. I am featuring many gorgeous cake designs from talented decorators as well as cake and cupcake toppers, edible cake images, icing, Wilton cake pans (some hard to find!) and more.
Photo Acknowledgement: All of the flickr photos displayed on this page have either a Creative Commons license or I have received written permission from the cake decorator to display their photos here. In either case, you will find a link back to the flickr members photos as required for use. A BIG thank you to all of the cake decorators for permission to use their photos!
Cake and Cupcake Supplies
Spiderman Cakes Made with Licensed Cake Pans
There are currently two licensed Spider-Man cake pans on the market. Both pans are from Wilton and would be great for your Spiderman theme birthday party.
First, there is the Spider-Man cake pan #2105-5052. This cake pan was released in 2004 and it can still be easily found online and even at your local craft store. This cake pan features Spidey in "web spinning" action. You will need the following cake decorating supplies to complete this cake design:
- Decorating Bags
- Decorating Tips 3, 16 and 21
- Spider-Man Icing Color Kit
- Cake Board or serving tray
- 2-layer cake mix
- Butter cream icing
The second Spider-Man cake pan is #2105-5050 that was released in 2002. This cake pan is retired and slightly harder to find. But, you can still find it. This cake pan features Spider-Man in "climbing" mode. It requires the same supplies and ingredients listed above.
Make a 3D Spiderman Birthday Cake
Lisa from Frosting Fun has featured wonderful step by step instructions including a photo tutorial on how to create this Spider-Man 3D Bust birthday cake. Basic supplies needed for this cake include:
- Butter cream in different colors
- Parchment, Waxed or Plain Paper
- Wooden Dowel
- Styrofoam Wig Head
- Round Cake Pans
- Cake Board
- Paper Towels
- Decorating Tips #3 and #7 or #8
- Basic Cake Decorating Tools
She did a terrific job with her instructions, so if want to make this cake for your child's Spiderman birthday party, visit her blog for more detailed information.
How To Make A Spiderman Cake
Spiderman Cake Using Fondant
If you decide to work with fondant, there is no limit to the kind of Spider-Man cake you can create. In the photo tutorial displayed to the right, the decorator creates a Spiderman face cake using white fondant to create the his eyes. The cake below it is completely decorated using fondant.
Fondant Cake Decorating Tips and Supplies
More Spider-Man Cake Recipes
- Spider-Man Cake Gallery
Features many different fun Spider-Man birthday cakes.
- Lily's Wai Sek Hong: Spiderman Cake
This Spiderman cake was made for Jordan's 4th birthday.
- Spiderman Cakes - Spiderman Cake Decorations and Ideas
Instructions including a video tutorial.
- Spiderman Cake
This cake was for my 11 yr old son. He was really into Spiderman at the time. I baked two 8-inch rounds and covered with white frosting. Not
Spider-Man Cupcake Cake
Cupcake cakes, sometimes referred to as pull apart cakes, are cupcakes that are arranged and decorated to look like one big cake. This arrangement of cupcakes makes it easy and fun for everyone. No longer do you have to miss out on a greatly decorated cake, just because you prefer cupcakes. You can have it both ways!
A cupcake cake like the one pictured to the right would be fun for your Spider-Man birthday party,
Spider-Man Cake with Edible Topper
Applying an edible cake image to your home baked birthday cake is fun and easy. Simply bake a sheet cake and ice it as you normally would. When using edible cake images, it is recommended that the cake be decorated with white icing. Then, carefully lay the cake image on top of the cake. Gently tap the image down onto the cake to smooth out any bubbles.
There are many edible toppers to choose with lots of cool designs. These cake toppers can also be personalized with your child's name and age.
Spiderman Cupcake Tree
Spiderman Mini Cakes & Cupcakes
You can also make Spiderman mini cakes or cupcakes for your birthday party.
For mini cakes, you can use the Wilton mini cake pan #2105-5054. This cake pan was released in 2004. It features six cavities and a 2-layer cake mix will yield approximately 15-16 mini cakes. Or, if you prefer to make Spiderman cupcakes, you can purchase licensed cupcake liners.
Whether you bake the mini cakes or the cupcakes, there are a few ways in which you can decorate them.
- decorate the cupcakes with red icing and top with Spiderman cupcake picks, rings or toppers
- decorate the cupcakes with red icing and create a web design with black licorice or black icing
- decorate the cupcakes black and create a web design with white icing to represent Spiderman in his black suit
- ice the cupcakes red, create a web design in black and then finish off with a topper or cupcake ring
- decorate the mini cakes with red icing and using black icing or black licorice, create a web design. Then, using white icing or white fondant, apply Spiderman's eyes onto the cakes
* The trick to creating a web design on your cupcake is to start from the outside of the cupcake and create a line arcoss to the other side. Repeat this three more times. You will then have a eight triangle shapes on your cupcake. Fill in these triangles with the remaining web design.
If you make cupcakes, one option would be to display them in a Wilton Cupcake Stand. I have used these stands at a few of my children's birthday parties and it really makes a great impression. These cupcake stands are available in 13 count, 24 count or 38 count.
Spiderman Birthday Party Ideas & Supplies
The page below features a large assortment of Spiderman birthday ideas including:
- unique Party Favors: candy wrappers, custom favor boxes, chocolate lollipops, and more
- birthday party games
- party activities
- custom party apparel including personalized birthday shirts
- party supplies: theme cups, tablecloth, plates, napkins, centerpieces, balloons
- custom designed party pinatas
- personalized party invitations
- and more!
Spiderman Pre-Made Scrapbook Layout
Spiderman Birthday Scrapbook
If you want to save the memories of your child's Spiderman birthday party, a scrapbook album would be the perfect thing!
There are many Spiderman scrapbook items available including pre-made pages, embellishments, bottle caps, 3D Stickers, gems, stickers, complete album kits, patterned paper and much more.