Spring Tea Party Hosting Tips
Host a Spring Tea Party
Hosting a Spring Tea Party
Do you remember playing "tea party" as a child? I used to do it. I didn't even have a fancy tea set. But I always loved tea and I loved the magic of the tea party. It always seemed like a solemn occasion - and a fancy one. It also felt very grown up!
My love for tea led me to become an herbalist. As an herbalist, I love the fact that there is a party devoted to my favorite beverage. Tea can be very social - and it is fun for me to share my love with others.
My tea party ideas are partly inspired by my herbal medicine culture and partly inspired by my experiences taking High Tea - once in Boston and once in England. It was fun if not a little stuffy. My tea party hostess ideas are a little more informal because that is my personality. Feel free to adapt these ideas to suit your personality!
Hosting a Tea Party
Spring Tea Party Tips
The basic ingredients for a tea party are tea and good food. After that, you can use your imagination. If you are going to host a tea party in the spring, naturally your food and tea selections should reflect the season. Your decorations should, too. These tips will help you get started.
Indoor or Outdoor?
The first major decision you will have to make is if you will have the party indoors or out. Depending on where you live, spring weather can be touchy. It can either be warm and sunny or rainy. Use your judgement when deciding on the location of your party. It may not make sense for the party to happen outdoors.
The snow has melted. Things are growing once again. Seasonal produce makes its way to the supermarket. Things like asparagus and cherries are great this time of year. So are artichokes, strawberries, spring greens, and spring onions. Find ways to incorporate these foods into your menus!
Spring Themed Tea Blends
What kind of tea are you going to serve? Any great tea party will have a selection of teas. Here is my advice. I would serve several kinds. Most of them should be light flavors but it is also a good idea to have the classics like green and black tea also on hand.
- Fruit teas are always a hit. Strawberries are in season so strawberry flavored tea is a good bet. Though, any fruit will do.
- Lemon flavored teas are another fun flavor for spring. It's light and clean and sunny - everything that spring represents.
- Dandelion tea is a slightly eclectic choice but an appropriate one. Dandelion is one of the first plants to push through the soil. It is one of the best teas to consume at this time of year. However, the flavor is not for everyone so you either want to skip it or sweeten it with honey.
A good tea party gives each guest a choice as to which teas they will drink and how many cups they will have. This is one of the best hostess tips I can think of - make sure that the tea doesn't go dry and make sure there is a good selection.
Tea Party Opinions
Do you enjoy tea parties?
Spring Tea Party
Spring Tea Party Food Ideas
I thought I would offer some suggestions for various foods to put out at your spring tea party. Most tea parties feature elegant finger foods. There's usually a nice assortment of both savory and sweet selections.
- Scones. These are a classic staple for any tea party! Serve with fruity jam like strawberry or raspberry.
- Finger sandwiches. These are cute and super elegant. Use your imagination! My two favorites are cucumber and watercress. Salmon finger sandwiches are nice, too.
- Small cookies. Bake up your favorite batch of cookies and make them super small.
- Meze, Antipasti, or Tapas. Don't be afraid to add Mediterranean elements to your spread! Foods like olives, hummus, stuffed grape leaves, and various tapas selections can spice up your spread. They do go well with tea, too!
- Seasonal vegetables and fruit. Serve with dip or in a salad. It is best to have at least one platter for fruit and one for vegetables.
These are just some ideas to get you started. Use your imagination! I would love to hear your ideas for your ideal tea party food spread. Feel free to stop in at the comments and leave your opinion!
Best Tea Choices for a Spring Tea Party
Twinings is a British tea time classic. I have a friend from England and she swears by this brand.