Strange Holidays In April
I Can't Make These Up
I wish I were making these up, but I'm really not. Here is yet another batch of strange, and sometimes very silly holidays in my series covering the topic. There will be more to come. Now, you can plan something fun for every day of the year. Boredom is gone! Every day is a holiday! So, have a little fun, and make every day special, no matter what!
April is a Month For...
April is full of strange and silly monthly observances. Here are just a few of my favorites. Trust me, there are a lot more!!!
- Amateur Radio Month- Have you always wanted to own your own radio station? Do you watch Pump Up the Volume at least once a week? April is the month to live out those dreams!
- Car Care Month- Don't forget to take extra special care of your car this month. Is the thick layer of grime and salt from the long winter, so thick that your once blue car, now looks white? Maybe it's time for that way long over-due oil change. Just because they say every three thousand miles doesn't mean you can't stretch it to say...30,000.
- Couple Appreciation Month- As if Valentine's Day, just two months ago wasn't enough. Now you have an entire month to remind you that you are still single. Yay!!!! Have fun with that! Or maybe you can take the focus off of yourself and pay tribute to another special couple in your life...like your parents. They only took care of you, and probably still do in some way.
- Fresh Florida Tomatoes Month- I have to say, I heartily endorse this month of celebration. You can all celebrate by coming to my farm stand and buying as many fresh Florida tomatoes as you can carry! Otherwise, they may shut off my Internet, and we can't have that.
- Holy Humor Month- April is the month to break out all those stale "a priest and a rabbi" jokes. Not that anyone really wants to hear them, but if you have to use them, you now have a whole month in which to do it. Don't do it at any time other than that, please!!!
- International Twit Award Month- I am sure we all know someone very deserving of this award. Be sure to make an official award certificate (framed nicely, of course), and present it to your favorite, or least favorite, twit! I already have someone in mind...off to work I go!
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome Month- I really don't know why we need an entire month devoted to stomach upset and diarrhea, but hey, whatever. Could you please pass the toilet paper? There should be a sale on stomach medications this month, or at least a coupon...I have IBS, I can make fun of it if I want to.
- National Kite Month- I thought March was supposed to be windy, and it rains in April...ya know, April showers bring May flowers, and all that. Who the heck wants to fly a kite in the rain? OK, so aside from Ben Franklin.
- Straw Hat Month- Time to break out the straw hats and overalls, it's Straw Hat Month again!!! I can hardly contain my excitement!! All those straw hats and only one month to wear them in!?
- Southern Belles Month- Rent Gone With the Wind, go around talking in your best Scarlet O'Hara imitation, and even wear a hoop skirt. Why not? If you know some real southern belles, it might even be funny. Follow them around everywhere, learn their speech patterns, mannerisms, everything you can, so that you, too can be a southern belle. Or rent Steal Magnolias. I do love that movie!!
What Are We Doing This Week?
If you need a little more fun this month than just those few monthly observances can give you, try some of these amusing, and fun weekly celebrations. Maybe you can find the perfect week-long celebration that is uniquely suited to you!
- International Pooper-Scooper Week (1-7)- I just hate it when I am walking down the sidewalk, and then, all of a sudden, 'it' happens...I step in dog poop that some unthoughtful dog owner has decided to just leave there. This is the week to remind them that they need to clean up after their pet if they are going to walk it down the street. Give them a brand new pooper-scooper as a present, just to show them how important it really is.
- Laugh At Work Week (1-7)- It may just be a coincidence that Laugh at Work Week happens to include April Fool's Day, but somehow, I doubt it. Work can be fun, so play a few pranks, have a little fun, and laugh yourself silly at work!
- Alcohol-Free Weekend (3-5)- This is a great weekend to do something besides going shot for shot on tequila with your friends. Do something while sober, and remember your weekend, for once. I know it might not seem like fun, but it might be nice to have one weekend where you don't end up dancing on your coffee table, and blacking out.
- Hate Week (4-10)- We all hate something. Admit it. Even the kindest hearted person hates something. Tell us about it! I hate mosquitoes. I also hate liars. I could go on and on.
- Explore Your Career Options Week (5-11)- Time to beef up that resume, scan the classifieds, and see if the grass is greener somewhere else. Don't be too hasty, though. This week is about exploring your career options, not quitting your job and moving to a monastery in Tibet.
- National Personal Training Week (12-18)- So, you still have six months left on that two-year gym membership, and you have only gone twice? Seriously, get out of the house, head down there, and spend a little time with your favorite sadist! It will do your body good! It won't seem that way at first, but give it a few weeks...if you can handle it.
- Egg Salad Week (13-19)- Yummm!! Who doesn't like egg salad? Aside from me, that is. Make sure to keep your egg salad refrigerated, otherwise, after the week is over, you may have an interesting science experiment instead of lunch.
- Coin Week (19-25)- Pick up every piece of loose change you see. It doesn't matter if it's a single penny, and it's stuck to a used piece of chewing gum! It still has value!! Throw all that found loot into a jar, and count it up, save it for emergency tooth fairy money, or cash it in! You would be surprised how quickly all that change adds up to real cash.
- National Karaoke Week (19-25)- I am sure everyone wants to hear your "beautiful" rendition of Sweet Child O' Mine. I know I do!! Come on, you know you want to!!! So many bars these days have a Karaoke night, so head on down to your favorite watering hole, and belt out a few tunes.
- National Inspirational News Week (19-25)- What inspirational news do you have to share? Did you overcome writer's block? Get that first Adsense check? Share it!!! Hey, maybe you just found some change on the street, or won a karaoke contest! It doesn't matter! Share your inspirational news with the world this week!
- Sky Awareness Week (19-25)- As if this week wasn't busy enough, now we have to be aware of the sky! Look up, yep, it's there. Crisis averted. Thank goodness it's still there.
- Cowboy Poetry Week (20-26)- Are you a cowboy? Are you a poet? Are you a cowboy poet??? Great news!!! You now have your own week!! So, slap on those spurs, break out that notepad, and get writing!
Louie Louie by The Kingsmen
A Daily Dose of Strange
I don't know what it is about odd-ball holidays that just makes me giggle. I just love what some people have come up with as an excuse to celebrate. Here are some of the funniest holidays for the month of April. Enjoy!!!
- 1st: Boomer Bonus Day: I am not sure what this is all about. Who, or what, is boomer, and why do they need a bonus day? Maybe it's a day for my aunt. Boomer is her nickname.
- 1st: National Fun at Work Day: Again, no coincidence that this is also April Fool's Day. Play a prank on your boss!! Don't worry, it won't get you fired...at least, I don't think it will. If you get fired, I do not claim any liability for your actions.
- 1st: Charlie Day: Strangely enough, this is a day dedicated to Charlie the Tuna, on the cans of Starkist Tuna. I guess we should all eat some tuna fish today, and remember Charlie.
- 1st: Stupid Day: Yep, today is the day to be stupid. Stupid and Fool seem to go naturally together. Anyone surprised?
- 1st: Check Your Batteries Day: We all have stuff lying around that probably has dead batteries, or really old, crusty batteries in them. Check it out!!! Boy, this sounds like fun...don't forget the smoke detectors.
- 1st: Sliced Bread's Birthday (1954): Ha ha...my mom is older than sliced bread!! And, what is the best thing since sliced bread, anyway?? What did they say before that?
- 2nd: Reconciliation Day: Today is the day to right some wrongs, make amends, and that sort of thing. Again, this sounds like fun, though it may be good for the soul!
- 2nd: Sweet Potato Day: I would have thought this day would fall closer to Thanksgiving, but I guess not. Make some sweet potato pie and enjoy!!
- 2nd: Yo-yo Day: We all had one growing up, but when was the last time you played with a yo-yo?? Break that thing out, borrow your kid's yo-yo, or go buy one, and see if you can still walk the dog.
- 2nd: National Ferret Day: It's true. Those stinky, creepy little rodents have their own day! Go buy a ferret or buy one for someone else. Just don't buy one for me.
- 3rd: Pony Express Day: Is snail mail too fast for you? Try sending all your mail by pony express!! Tell those debt collectors that you are sending them their money, but it's gonna take a while.
- 3rd: Tweed Day: While it may be cool enough outside to wear tweed where you live, I don't think 80 or 90 degree weather is exactly appropriate. Wear it if you want to, look stylish in your tweed blazer!!
- 3rd: Find a Rainbow Day: This is much easier to do if it actually happens to rain on this day. Best of luck, and maybe, there will be a pot of gold at the end of that rainbow. You never know...
- 3rd: National Workplace Napping Day: One of the best holidays ever invented. Of course, not all bosses will think so. Depending on your job, be sure to ask for permission first.
- 4th: World Rat Day: Not a great holiday. I hate rats. Reminds me of something I used to say to drive everyone nuts. "Rats? I hate rats! They drive me crazy! Crazy? I was crazy once. They put me in a little, rubber room. I died in that room. They buried me in the cold, dark ground, with rats. Rats? I hate rats..." and it goes on and on.
- 4th: Tangible Karma Day: Is this that day? Is this the day that Karma finally catches up with everyone on the planet? We have all said, or heard someone say, "He will get what's coming to him, someday." I guess this is the day.
- 4th: Walk Around Things Day: Why step over things when you can walk around them?? Walk around everything today, even rugs or different colored floor tiles. Walk around your house, and go in the back door.
- 4th: Chocolate Milk Powder Day: Most of us grew up with some form of powdered chocolate milk product. I know I did. Pour yourself a BIG glass of milk and add some heaping spoonfuls of that chocolaty, powdered goodness!!
- 5th: Bell Bottoms Day: A day for all the flower children, and those that wish they had been, to revisit a great and trippy time in history. You still have that pair of homemade elephant bells, don't you? Of course you do.
- 5th: Read a Road Map Day: For someone like me, who has no sense of direction and can get lost in her own backyard, this is every day. I don't need a holiday. I need a GPS!!!
- 6th: Drowsy Driver Awareness Day: While this one has some merit, it's still kinda funny. If you are going to drive, make sure that you are well rested, and if you get tired, pull over and take a nap.
- 6th: Tartan Day: This is a day for all you Scots to show your true colors. And by that, I mean, show your heritage. Wear your family tartan. Wear a kilt, but please, unless you are really sexy, wear something underneath!! No one wants to see that!
- 6th: Teflon Day: A whole day devoted to that wonder of wonders, Teflon! How would people cook today without it? And, how do they get it to stick to the pans??
- 6th: Jump Over Things Day: OK, so the other day, we walked around everything. Today we have to jump over everything. This may get tricky, and result in injury. Please, use caution when jumping.
- 6th: TV Dinner Birthday (1954): It seems as if sliced bread is only a few days older than the TV dinner. Happy Birthday to the modern convenience meal of the super lazy!
- 7th: Metric System Day: No sane person uses the metric system in the U.S., despite our teachers telling us for years that we were going to switch to it, and everything would change and we HAD to learn it. I guess you could go around using it today, just to confuse everyone.
- 7th: NO Housework Day: Another brilliant holiday!!! Got a sink full of dishes and a pile of laundry to do? Not today, you don't!! It can wait until tomorrow.
- 7th: Public Television Day: We all know that you still secretly watch Sesame Street, even though your kids are grown up. So what? Enjoy! Donate some cash to their never-ending donation drives, and get that neat tote bag that you will never actually use.
- 8th: Buddha Day: No matter which Buddha you like (the fat Buddha or the skinny Buddha) today is the day to honor him, and maybe rub his belly for good luck.
- 8th: Zoo Lovers Day: Who doesn't love the zoo? All that walking around in the fresh air, cages filled with monkeys flinging poo, over-priced food and beverages...eh...well, so maybe it's not all that great! The kids love it, though!
- 8th: Draw a Picture of a Bird Day: Why? Don't ask why, just do it. No one said it had to be a good picture of a bird. Not like I am expecting a masterpiece or anything. You are no Audubon, I am sure.
- 8th: Trading Cards for Grown-Ups Day: Either this is a day for those grown-ups that will never, ever in their life be with a woman, or maybe there are some freaky, adult trading cards out there. I don't know.
- 9th: National Cherish an Antique Day: This could be anything; a treasured family heirloom, something you found at a flea market, or maybe just your Aunt Millie.
- 9th: Name Yourself Day: What would you name yourself if you could? Give yourself a new name, announce it to everyone you know, and refuse to answer to any other name. Pick something very strange, just to see if you can get people to use it.
- 9th: Listening Day: For the men of the world, this may be the most feared day aside from Valentine's Day. You actually have to listen!!! Scary, I know!
- 10th: National Sibling Day: We have Mother's Day, Father's Day and even Grandparent's Day, so it was inevitable that we would end up with Sibling Day. I feel it discriminates against the only children of the world, so I choose to boycott this day. I do have siblings, and they think it's just because I don't want to get them a gift.
- 10th: Golfer's Day: I do not see why we need this day. Any sunny day where a golfer can ditch work to play golf is golfer's day. Do they really need another excuse to ditch work to play golf?
- 11th: Barbershop Quartet Day: Gone are the days of the barbershop quartet, yet those days can be relived thanks to this day. Start your own barbershop quartet with your buddies at work.
- 11th: International "Louie Louie" Day: This is the first I have ever heard of a song getting it's own day. What about "Free Bird" Day, or "Hey Jude" Day? Those were much better songs, and far more deserving of their own day.
- 11th: 8-track Tape Day: That "great invention" that was going to "revolutionize" the music industry has it's own day. Does anyone even own a working 8-track player???
- 12th: Licorice Day: Hopefully I can get away with eating red licorice instead of the black licorice. I really hate black licorice!
- 12th: Walk On Your Wild Side Day: I am not really sure which side is my wild side, but I guess I can try. Go wild today! Try something new, act crazy, and be wild!!
- 12th: Reach As High as You Can Day: Do they mean literally or figuratively? I'm kinda short, so I can't reach very high.
- 13th: Blame Someone Else Day: That's right! It's not my fault...it's your fault. Of course, that means you have to blame someone else, but don't blame me, it's not my fault.
- 13th: Scrabble Day: Try to beat your friends and family in this familiar word game where triple word scores with the letter 'Z' will get you big points! My daughter loves to play Scrabble with me. She is getting pretty good.
- 13th: Dyngus Day: Apparently, this is some sort of Polish celebration...and no, I am not making that up!!! Check for yourself!
- 14th: National Be Kind to Lawyers Day: This is going to be difficult. Please, refrain from making lawyer jokes, despite the fact that they are funny. Lawyers are people, too, or so I'm told.
- 14th: National Pecan Day: Another day to go nuts!! Sorry, I couldn't resist. I am not a fan of pecans, but I know a lot of people are. Pecan pie for everyone...except me.
- 15th: Rubber Eraser Day: Think back to childhood...those few weeks before the start of the new school year, when your parents took you shopping for school supplies and new clothes...can't you just smell those Pink Pearl erasers? Oh, the horror!!
- 15th: McDonald's Day: Celebrate the fast food giant today! Get a Happy Meal for the kiddies, or maybe dress up like Ronald and run around town. Oh, and while you are out, can you bring me back a Big Mac??
- 15th: Take a Wild Guess Day: Today, whenever anyone asks you a question, no matter what it is, answer, "Take a wild guess!" Also, follow any question you ask someone with the same statement.
- 15th: That Sucks Day: A whole day to reflect on how much things suck, either that, or the celebration of the vacuum. Either way, it's going to suck!
- 16th: High Five Day: Yes, even that long celebrated sign of male bonding has it's own day! High five everyone you know, and even those you don't know. Walk down the street and see how many random strangers you can get to give you a high five. Make sure to wash your hands often, though. Who knows where their hands have been.
- 16th: Wear Your Pajamas to Work Day: Another holiday that I love, and plan on celebrating! Of course, no pajama day is complete without the fuzzy bunny slippers!!!
- 16th: National Eggs Benedict Day:In celebration of this holiday, I recommend a nice brunch. Make sure to check to see if the hollandaise sauce is make to order. No one wants to get sick!!
- 16th: National Stress Awareness Day: I don't think we need a special day to be made aware of stress. I am pretty well aware of it, no matter what day it is. There should be a National No Stress Day.
- 17th: Blah! Blah! Blah! Day: Is that what you hear every time your boss starts talking to you? Interrupt anyone who talks to you with, "Blah! Blah!, Blah!" This will go over wonderfully with spouses, in-laws and your bosses.
- 17th: Ford Mustang Day: Get yourself a Pony today, take one for a test drive, or if you have one, take that muscle car out for a drive!
- 17th: National Cheese Ball Day: A day for that special, strange concoction of cheese and who knows what else. Enjoy this day along with some crackers.
- 18th: Record Store Day: Remember the days where you would do nothing all day, except browse through the rows and rows of records, as you listened to the great music pouring out of the speakers? Remember the smell of vinyl and incense?
- 18th: Respect Your Mother Day: No back-talking today, mister!! Why? Because she's your mother, that's why! Your mother is deserving of respect, after all, she had to put up with you.
- 18th: Husband Appreciation Day: As long as hubby makes sure the children respect you today, then why not appreciate them. Appreciate them for all that they do for you, like leaving their socks on the floor, leaving the toilet paper roll empty, and all sorts of things. After all, they only do it because they care. They secretly worry that you will be bored, and want you to have something to do.
- 18th: National Animal Cracker Day: Buy a box of those sweet treats that are more like cookies than crackers. They even still sell them in those great boxes with the handle and the circus train on the box.
- 19th: Garlic Day: That pungent little bulb that frequents Italian dishes has a day all it's own. Bake up some cheesy garlic bread and chow down!
- 19th: Humorous Day: What is so humorous about today? I really don't know, but I am sure you can find ways to add humor to your day. Maybe sneak some garlic into your friend's food, no, not just a little...how about a lot of garlic...raw garlic!!! Watch their faces...now that's humorous!
- 19th: National Hanging Out Day:So, what do you want to do today? Ummm...I don't know...let's just hang out. Sounds good to me.
- 20th: Make a Quilt Day: Personally, I don't see how anyone can make an entire quilt in one day! Best of luck with that. At least you could get a start on one...
- 20th: Cuckoo Day: Maybe it's a day for those annoying clocks, or just a day to act crazy. I will let all of you decide for yourselves how you want to celebrate.
- 20th: Look Alike Day: Look like whoever you want to today. Get together with your friends, and all dress, and look alike. If you have always wondered what it would be like to look like someone else, go for it!
- 21st: Tuna Rights Day: I wasn't aware that tuna had rights, other than the right to be delicious!! Support the rights of tuna today!! Eat some sushi!
- 21st: Red Baron Day: Eat some Red Baron pizza, and watch some old Peanuts cartoons. Maybe fly a plane (be sure you are licensed to do this, first!)
- 21st: Big Word Day: Astound friends and family with your enormous vocabulary today. Look up big words in the dictionary and use them whenever possible today. It does not matter if you use them correctly, or not. Most people won't know what you are talking about anyway, and now, you look really smart!
- 21st: Kindergarten Day: I loved kindergarten!! All that fun!! Coloring, playing outside, no cares, no responsibilities, and the hardest thing you had to learn was to read.
- 22nd: Chemists Celebrate the Earth Day: I guess since I am not a chemist, I don't get to celebrate. If you are, indeed, a chemist, celebrate the earth! Make something nice!
- 22nd: National Jelly Bean Day: Eat all the jelly beans you want today. Head to the candy store and stock up on your favorite flavors! Avoid those strange flavors that have been showing up recently. I am not a fan of buttered popcorn flavored jelly beans...yuck!
- 23rd: Read Me Day: I wasn't aware that I was a book, but read me anyway. Read everything I have ever written, because it's read me day, not read you day. This could really work out well for me.
- 23rd: International Sing Out Day: Have you ever had those moments where someone says something and it reminds you of a song? You just have this urge to sing out?! Do it!! Sing out loud and proud! Sing at the top of your lungs for the whole world to hear. Of course, my mother does this every day.
- 23rd: Picnic Day: Pack a lunch, grab a blanket and your sweetie, and head to the park or the beach for a nice picnic. Doesn't that sound nice? Let's hope it doesn't rain!
- 23rd: World Book and Copyright Day: Grab a book and check out the copyright page. Publish your own book. Buy a book. Rent a book from the library.
- 24th: National Hairball Awareness Day: Kind of a gross holiday, I must admit. If you have a cat, you are already well aware of hairballs, and if you don't have a cat, you really have no need to be.
- 24th: Pigs-in-a Blanket Day: Eat some of the tasty little snacks. Make up a tray of them and share with your friends. Or for a more literal adventure, head to a farm and wrap actual blankets around actual pigs. The farmer won't know what to do.
- 24th: National Puppetry Day:Enjoy this day by watching some old episodes of The Muppet Show, or maybe some Jeff Dunham. Or buy a puppet or two and put on a show for your kids.
- 25th: Bulldogs Are Beautiful: I don't know about beautiful, but they sure are cute!!! I totally want one!!
- 25th: DNA Day: Celebrate today by watching some "Who's your baby's daddy" episodes of Maury Povich or watching one of the several versions of CSI. It's all about the DNA!
- 25th: National Crayola Day: I miss the days when all I had to do was color and be a kid! I plan to relive those days on this day. Hand me a coloring book and a big box of crayons and leave me alone!
- 25th: License Plate Day: Let's play the License plate game. You all remember that game. Long family road trips, the monotony of the endless miles, "collecting" license plates from different states. Whoever had the most, won the game.
- 26th: Hug A Friend Day: Find a friend, give them a hug. Make someone feel special today. Here's a great big hug for you, from me!
- 26th: National Static Cling Day: Skip the fabric softener and dryer sheets today. Never mind that your skirt will stick to your leg, or that you may end up with a sock Velcro-ed to your shirt when you leave the house. It's all part of the fun!
- 26th: Hug An Australian Day:A special day to not only hug your friends, but to hug Aussies, as well. Why not kill two birds with one stone? Hug an Aussie friend!! To all my Aussie friends on HubPages, here's and extra special hug, just for you!!!
- 26th: Richter Scale Day: Hopefully, this day isn't marked by an earthquake, but thanks to the Richter Scale, at least you will know how bad it is.
- 27th: Tell a Story Day: Whether you tell your kids a bedtime story, or you make up a story about where you were when you should have been at work, tell someone a story today.
- 27th: Morse Code Day: So few of us actually know Morse Code anymore. But, if you do, send out a message to someone. The dots and dashes may seem like nonsense to most people, but who cares?
- 28th: Kiss Your Mate Day: Kiss your mate, whatever that means to you. Kiss you wife, hubby, girl/boyfriend, or your best friends.
- 29th: Sense of Smell Day: Breathe deep! What do you smell? Celebrate this often disregarded sense. Enjoy all the smells around you. Get your friends to smell that nasty expired milk in your refrigerator. Take a walk through the garden and smell some flowers. Sight and hearing are important senses, but what would the world be like if you couldn't smell?
- 29th: National Dance Day: Get up on your feet today and dance! Dance on your way to work, dance at work, dance with your sweetie. Find any excuse to dance! Dance until your feet feel like they are going to fall off!
- 29th: National Shrimp Scampi Day: What can you say about shrimp scampi? It's delicious!!! Eat this yummy food for breakfast, lunch and dinner!
- 30th: Mr. Potato Head Day: Mr. Potato Head has been around for what seems like forever! He has changed some, gotten some neat new accessories, and body parts, but he is still the same little spud we have all grown to love. Buy a Mr. Potato Head for your kids, and share with them a beloved toy from your childhood.
- 30th: National Oatmeal Cookie Day: However you make them, either with raisins or without, oatmeal cookies taste like home. No other cookie has that homey goodness that we all miss a little, as we get older.
- 30th: National Honesty Day: We all lie. It's a fact. So, for one day, try being honest, no matter what! "Does this dress make me look fat?" "No, but it does make you look like a sausage." OK, so maybe that's a bit too honest.
- Strange Holidays In May
Part of a series on the strange holidays throughout the year. The strange and silly holidays in the month of May.