- Holidays and Celebrations
The Best Halloween Pranks
Halloween is all about fun and having a good time. This year, focus on the tricks instead of just the treats - get a kick out of surprising your friends!
Focus on the 'tricking' this year
Halloween is one of the most anticipated events of the year. People get dressed up, throw parties and take their kids trick-or-treating.
This Halloween, why not spend some time doing the 'tricking' instead of just the 'treating'? You're never too old to inject some extra fun into the event. And because people are expecting to be scared, it's the best time to play a few pranks and get away with it.
Ideas for Halloween pranks
Here are some ideas to help you get into the spirit of things.
- Get dressed up in your best Halloween outfit and go trick-or-treating around your neighbourhood. Knock on doors, and when the person answers, give them candy instead.
- Wear an outfit that makes you unrecognisable, and join some people you know for trick-or-treating, but don't tell them who you are, and don't talk. Watch as they try to figure out who you are, or freak out at the 'stranger' in their midst.
- If you're throwing a party, serve toffee onions instead of toffee apples. Decorate them to look as appetising as possible. Try to get everyone to bite into one at the same time - organise a "toffee apple" eating contest to facilitate this.
- Organise an apple bobbing contest - but use a mixture of vinegar and water instead of just water.
- Get together with a few friends and dress up as zombies. Find a cemetery close to a main road and hide until people approach, then walk out as if you've just risen from your grave.
- Dress up as a scarecrow and lay in wait in your front yard. Stay as still as possible until someone is passing by, then yell 'Boo!'
- If you can get up to your roof, lay there in darkness till your friends arrive, then drop fake spiders on them. Note - do not do this on young trick-or-treaters or you may end up with some very upset parents on your doorstep.
- Smear your doorknob with vaseline and watch as your friends try to open the door to come in.
- If your neighbours have jack-o-lanterns laid out on their porch or yard, swap them around.
Avoid destructive Halloween pranks
You're bound to get a few screams and surprised reactions from these pranks. While you're having fun, make sure you don't harm anyone or destroy property.
Originality is the key to creating memorable pranks. Avoid destructive, tasteless pranks like throwing eggs at people's houses or cars. Also avoid the tired prank of toilet papering someone's home - it's a monumental waste of toilet paper and just creates a mess for the owner to clean up.
And please use good judgment - no scaring young children or old people! You don't want your prank ending in tears or heart attacks.