- Holidays and Celebrations»
- Common Holidays
New Year's Resolution Ideas for 2016
Pick the Right New Year's Resolution
A resolution is something that you decide or intend to do. New Year's resolutions are very popular because a new year is the perfect time to change. It is a time for a fresh start and great for creating a "new you."
Don't just pick anything for your New Year's Resolution. You want to choose something that really means something to you and that you are dedicated to completing. Too many people fail to follow through with their resolutions. Most of the time, this is because they make general resolutions. You need to make specific goals to be more likely to achieve them. This article includes popular New Year's Resolution ideas and tips to follow through with them.
Health New Year's Resolutions Ideas
- Quit smoking: This is a very big undertaking and you really will have to try and fail multiple times before you figure our which method will be successful. You could try cold turkey, nicotine gum or patches, prescription medication, therapy, and plenty other methods. I finally succeeded using the nicotine patch but not everyone will. The biggest tip for quitting smoking is changing your habits. If you normally smoke in the car, bring gum with you instead. The addiction isn't just with the nicotine, it is with your behaviors that you associate with smoking.
- Quit drinking: You may have to make new non-drinking friends if you don't want to be in drinking situations where you will be tempted to drink.
- Eat healthier: Decide on a specific target like eating 5 servings of vegetables per day or avoiding saturated fats. Create a meal plan that follows your nutritional goals and stick with them.
Fitness New Year's Resolutions Ideas
- Exercise more: Make a goal of how many days per week and how long you want to exercise for. This way, you can mark it as accomplished or not and it will motivate you.
- Lose weight: Decide where you are now and where you want to be. Pick a time frame that is your date to reach your goal weight. Do not aim to lose more that around 2 pounds per week. If you lose too fast, it will come back easier. Set a realistic goal to keep yourself encouraged.
When it comes to any fitness resolutions, GymPact can be an amazing tool to kick start your resolution and keep you on track. GymPact is an application where you put money on the line if you don't work out. If you do work out, you can earn money. RunKeeper is another app that can help you achieve your fitness goals and give you motivation.
Social New Year's Resolutions Ideas
- Spend more time with friends and family
- Make new friends
You can do all three of these and sick with them all at once. Decide on a volunteer organization and commit to doing it a certain amount of times or hours per month or week. Tell your friends and family about it an get them in on the volunteering as well. This way you will have regularly scheduled time to volunteer and sped time with friends an family. To top it all off, you will be meeting new people and have the opportunity to make new friends.
Financial New Year's Resolutions Ideas
- Save money: Create a goal, a plan to reach your goal and put it into action.
- Get out of debt: Get knowledgeable by learning what you debt balances are, your interest rates, your minimum payments and follow the debt snowball method.
- Make more money: Try out some new hobbies or ventures than could be profitable. This is why I initially started writing for HubPages- a desire to make more money and a love for writing.
- Get a better job: Create a good resume, cover letter and brush up on your interviewing skills. Make some calls and get out there!
The best method for saving money and getting out of debt is Dave Ramsey's 7 Baby Steps. It is simple and easy to follow. Once you get started, it's hard not to want to keep going.
Educational New Year's Resolutions Ideas
- Go back to school
- Learn something new
- Get better grades
Self Improvement New Year's Resolution Ideas
- Become more organized
- Reduce Stress: Take up yoga or meditation.
- Manage time better: Map out your day and figure out where you are spending your time. Find the biggest time wasters and cut them out.