My Favorite Holiday Recipes
Vote on Holiday Favorites
What do you like most about the Holidays?
Christmas Smell Recipe
As a child I remember smelling all the great cinnamon and clove smells.
My sister gave me this recipe which I have used every Christmastime, many now will use already made Christmas smelling candles and popourri to make their house smell good but I still like this old fashioned recipe you boil then simmer on the stove.
2 Sticks of Cinnamon
1 Tablespoon of ground cinnamon
1 Orange rind
4 Tsp. powdered orange drink (Tang)
1 Tea bag
1 Tablespoon cloves
3 Cups of water
Boil for 15 minutes, then turn on simmer. Add water as needed. Enjoy!!
Peanut Blossom Cookies
1 Bag(8oz) Hershey's Kisses Chocolates
1/2 cup shortening
3/4 cup of Peanut Butter
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
2 tablespoons of milk
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
Granulated sugar on the side.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees. Remove wrappers from the Hershey kisses.
- Beat shortening and peanut butter in a large bowl until blended.
- Add 1/3 cup granulated sugar and brown sugar; beat until fluffy.
- Add egg, milk, vanilla; beat well.
- Stir together flour, baking soda, and salt; gradually beat into peanut mixture.
- Shape dough into 1 inch balls. Roll into granulated sugar, place on increased cookie sheet.
- Bake 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Immediately press the kiss in the middle or center of the cookie; cookie will crack around the edges.
- Remove from cookie sheet and place to cool on wire cookie wrack. Cool completely. Makes about 4 dozen cookies.
This is one tradition that we have always had to have in our home for the Holidays. I will have to admit however that with this tradition, I have no recipe but do always make it the fast way. I love the instant box kind made by Jello. I cheat and buy the Jello box cheesecake kind. Some has the cherry topping with it and some not. I also make up the cheesecake recipe and buy blueberry topping in a can. So we have cherry and blueberry cheesecake. Yummy!
Meaning of Christmastime
While many may enjoy this time, please remember the true meaning of Christmas. Some of you Christmas is about the birth of Christ and others may feel it is a time for gifts and family gatherings.
I enjoy baking up all my family favorites which they know I usually always have and the smell of all the baking and cooking that makes the Holidays even more special, and nothing beats the smell of all the food aroma it makes. the feeling of good home cooking is what I grew up with and what I will always want for my family.
For me I like to remember it as a holiday to celebrate our Lord Jesus Christ's birth and to me when it comes to celebrating, I love the feeling it gives me to be able to come together as a family and enjoy their love and company. I don't feel it should be about getting presents but rather giving. Whatever you do to celebrate or not, and however you feel about this time of the year, let us all remember that we all think, feel, and believe in our own ways, it is our right.