- Holidays and Celebrations»
- United States Holidays
The Turkey That Could
Every Thanksgiving for the past five years my sister and I leave Los Angeles for Las Vegas to see our parents and my grandmother. This year my sister and her family left a few days earlier before me as we both drove our cars. Sometimes we fly. It depends on what’s going on. I was hoping to get any possible job interviews as I’ve been unemployed like many this horrible year.
My Grandma Tillie who’s 96 years old entered the hospital a few days before Thanksgiving. She’s been in and out of the hospital many times in the last few years.
Now, the turkey we were to later feast on was thawing out in a cooler full of water inside my parents’ living room. At some point my little two and a half year old nephew, Ethan, discovered that water was leaking from the cooler. The water was flooding all over the living room. We had to move the couch and coffee table out of the way in order to soak up the water with towels. My brother-in-law, Yosef, and I put our feet to work, moving towels to the left and to the right. We discussed the fact that it was possible that little Ethan may not only have spotted the water leak, but may have been the one to uncork the cooler and let the cooler flood. He’s a very clever little guy and very mischievous, but we prefer to think he was a hero.
After all, later in our stay Ethan climbed a rock and stated, “I am Superman!”
We were able to fit the turkey into the additional refrigerator in the golf garage. To our surprise the next day, instead of thawing out like the turkey should have in the fridge, the fridge froze the turkey. Frozen turkey? We’re back to square one!
Well, we received good news that my grandmother was coming home just in time for Thanksgiving. This was the important thing.
Now back to saving the turkey. One could almost hear the voice of the headless turkey mocking our family, “Gobble, gobble.”
The turkey was then NUKED a bit in the microwave. Take that turkey!
The turkey finally found it’s way to the oven surrounded by juice in an aluminum foil pan. While my Dad and I were watching the Dallas Cowboys burn up the field with the Oakland Raiders, my Mom shouted, “FIRE!” My Dad and I saw smoke and flames coming from the oven. We opened the oven door, put out the flames, opened the sliding glass door and turned on the fans. Apparently the juice overflowed outside of the pan.
My Mom and Maria cleaned out the oven before trying to continue cooking the turkey, but the oven smoked up again. So my Dad with his barbecuing expertise throws the turkey onto the barbecue grill.
This turkey storm began with flooding. It moved onto freezing temperatures. And now we have fires. Is this cooking or the bad weather channel?
Well, not only did the Thanksgiving dinner come together, but I’ll be damned if that wasn’t the best tasting turkey. Seriously delicious. I was very thankful that my grandmother was there and that we were all together.
Not even the horrendous loss of the NY Giants could ruin this Thanksgiving.