- Holidays and Celebrations»
Top 10 Easy and Cheap Fancy Dress Costume ideas for Young Women and Teenage Girls
There are lots of different reasons and occasions when a Fancy Dress Costume might be needed. Obviously Halloween is just around the corner and that is probably the number one halloween season for most of us. These outfits would all be perfect for halloween, but they would also work for any number of parties.
Now buying a costume can be super expensive, and even making a proper one sometime can be difficult and time consuming. Plus for some reason halloween seems to make girls think they have to dress as something 'sexy' - sexy nurse, sexy witch, sexy schoolgirl zombie, sexy cat - you get the idea! Well I just sometime think its more fun just to dress up for the fun, not to be sexy!
So below I have compiled some costume ideas which are all super easy to achieve, will need little creative input, or financial input! Most of the items you may already have and if not you will be able to buy most from charity shops, keeping the costs to a minimum. They are all strong iconic characters from films and TV so will be recognisable to most people. Some are a little scary so perfect for the upcoming halloween, but as I said most costumes would be great for a fancy dress party any time of the year.
The most important thing of all is to remember to have fun!!
1. Katniss Everydeen from The Hunger Games
Possibly one of the most popular heroines of recent times. Her style is effortless and easy (especially if you have long dark hair already) most people will have the items needed for her simple style in their wardrobe already or you will at least be able to find them in a thrift or charity shop.
The look we are going for is her games outfit!
- So first dig out those old khaki cargo pants - popular in the late 90's you know the ones (tan ones would be ok too).
- Grab a simple black t-shirt - v-neck if possible.
- A pair of combat style boots - any flatish black lace up's will do - wear them loose with your trousers tucked in.
- Top outfit with a dark parka or rain roat.
That's the clothes more or less sorted. Most importantly you need to give yourself a single side braid. Now optional items you can grab a small black hiking style rucksack. Or go one step futher and buy a bow and arrow set or a Mocking Jay pin. Voila - One Katniss Everdeen costume!
2. Alex Delarge from A Clockwork Orange
This 1970s cult classic might not be everyones cup of tea, but it will sure make a statement outfit for a halloween (or other season) party. It is pretty simply on the clothes front too. Again you should have a lot of this or be able to pick it up second hand.
All you will need for the clothes is:
- A white shirt - mens long sleeve, leave the top button open.
- A pair of white trousers - white jeans would work fine, tuck the shirt in.
- A pair of black boots - combat style if possible, tuck the trousers in.
- White susupenders.
- Black Bowler Hat
- A Cane (optional)
Now the important part is the make up, leave your whole face completely minimal except one eye - your right. Heavily line your one eye, add lots of mascara and false lashes to top and bottom if you can, you want to really emphasis it. That's it! Your all done. Lots of people will know who you are even if they haven't seen the film!
3. Gogo from Kill Bill
OK so this one can look a little bit sexy if you want, but Gogo is a mean assassin school girl! Yep! Kill Bill is a great film but the actual costume Uma Therma wears is expensive to buy and not that easy to find pieces to make it (yellow shiny tracksuit anyone?) Gogo is much cooler and I have actually done this one myself for a Tarentino party! What you will need:
- One dark tartan school skirt - pleated skirt
- A white shirt or blouse
- Navy blue or dark blazer
- A red piece of silk you can tie in a bow like a tie - or a red bow tie possibly.
- Kneehigh white socks
- White plimsoles or daps
- Now most important is Gogo's weapon, her Mace on a long chain. Now you can ither buy one from a fancy dress shop or try making one. Depends how creative you are feeling.
All that's left is to straighten that hair and add some simple make up.
If you want a slightly scarier version, you could do Gogo when she dies. She has blood running out of her eyes?! easily done with some red fake blood.
4. Catwomen from The Dark Knight Rises
Anna Hathaways portrayal of Catwomen is probably the easiest to recreate. Now you could just buy the whole catsuit (or use a dance catsuit) but it isn't really needed. Instead you will need:
- Black skinny jeans - leather or coated, preferably with some sort of shine to them
- A fitted longsleeve black top
- High heeled black boots
- A black mask (you could make one if you're feeling creative)
- Ears - now for some of the film Selina has actual little ears on a hair band, but when she is in full catwomen outfit she has googles that flip onto her head to look like ears. You can do either or try using sunglasses.
Add a nice bright red lipstick, straighten your air and pull the top layer back either pin or tie with little hair tie and you are sorted. You could add a black utility belt (or think black belt) and some black fingerless or leather gloves too. Purrfect!
5. Mia Wallace from Pulp Fiction
This has to be the easiest of all the costumes. Pulp Fiction was another cult classic film, and the role of Uma Thurman as Mia Wallace is iconic. So what you will need:
- Long sleeve white shirt
- Black suit trousers
- Black Heels
The difficult part is the hair. If you have a bob great, if not you can faux bob by putting your hair in a loose pony and turning it under - or just buy a wig. Use temporary hair spray to make it black if you want to go all out.
Add some red lippy and a fake cigarette and you have the perfect simple Mia Wallace outfit.
6. Wednesday Adams from The Adams Family
The iconic role played by a very young Christina Ricci is a great fun character to dress up as. Again it's a nice simple outfit that will require minimal effort and will be instantly recognisable by most people. All you will need is:
- White shirt with a collar
- Black dress, tunic style with long sleeves
- Stripped B&W tights or long socks
- Black pumps or brogues
- Put your hair in two plaits
Adding pale makeup to make you seem a little whiter will be good too. But for extra brownie points don't forget a little headless doll - preferably in a black dress. No smiling ladies Wednesday just didn't do it!
7. Angelica Pickles from Rugrats
This is the perfect outfit if you want a fun retro flash from the past outfit. Angelica was the precocious little child from the Rugrats that always picked on the babies. This will work better if your a blonde. Get her look by wearing:
- A long-sleeve orange top (worn under dress)
- A purple dress, pinifor, tunic, or thin strap style works best
- Bright blue tights
- Orange socks
- Simple purple flats
- Finally, put your hair in pigtails and add some little bows or ribbons
Now all you have to do is put on a pout and strop around with your arms crossed, bossing everyone else about!
8. Joanna Eberhart from The Stepford Wives
The original film is from the 1970s but it was re-made in 2004 starring Nicole Kidman. This outfit is super cute - although I worry if you wear it now people may think your from mad men? Anyway hopefully they won't not that it would be a bad thing. The film is based around the idea that rich men turn their wives into robots to create the perfect women. So the main thing is that you have to look all perfect and prim and proper. You will need:
- 50's style dress, or a pretty fit and flare dress to around your knee.
- A pretty apron
- Strappy court shoes - not to high and white if possible
- Any pearl jewellery
Now all you have to do is tame your hair so its smooth and glossy and apply simple make-up. To add to the effect tilt your head slightly to the side when ever someone asks you something, keep smiling constantly and ask if you can help everyone.
9. Abby Sciuto from NCIS
If you have ever watched NCIS you will know who Abby is. Most well known for her signature big tails, spider web tattoo, goth clothes and super sharp mind, sh eis part of the NCIS forensics team. Her outfit is easily achievable with just a few key element and a few goth like clothes. Below are just a few suggestion of items you could wear:
- Red tartan skirt
- Black skinny jeans
- heavy metal band t-shirt
- Tops with skulls
More or less anything resembling her punk goth roots. What is more important is the accessories you have as these will show that your channeling Abby in specific
- A White lab coat
- Draw a spider web tattoo on the left of your neck
- High pigtails
- Some spiky jewellery
- Dark eyeliner and a bright red lippy
And your set to go. Acting all hyper and intelligent is down to you!
10. Alice from Resident Evil
Ahh Alice, not the pretty one who fell down the rabbit hole that may be your first thought, the gun wealding, zombie killing one played by Milla Jovovich in Resident Evil. She is probably one of the toughest, kickass ladies on the big screen. And as such she is a great person to dress up as. Again it would help if you have a dirty blonde or light brown bob or short hair you can wax and mess up, but her outfit is obvious enough that people will know who you are even with different hair. We are going for the outfit from the very first film, the one she is wearing as a clone in the later films too. So you will need:
- Black shorts or mini skirt
- long red vest top or short dress you can split up the side.
- Black boots, combot or biker style would be good, knee high ones even better
- grab some plastic guns and possibly a holster for your theigh!
Go minimal on the make up and hair and you're done. Perfect for any zombie apocolypse you might encounter.