- Holidays and Celebrations»
- Birthdays & Celebrations
Top 5 Bar Mitzvah and Bat Mitzvah Gift Ideas
The Bar and Bat Mitzvah is a Jewish tradition celebrating the time when a child becomes responsible for his or her actions. The event occurs at the age of 12 for girls and 13 for boys. This traditional and sacred occasion calls for an equally thoughtful and respectful gift. Below you will find my top five Bar and Bat Mitzvah gift suggestions.
1) Traditional Jewelry: Jewelry is a particularly popular Bar and Bat Mitzvah gift. Traditional jewelry items include the signet ring, which is custom-made to feature the honoree’s initials or name. This gift can be customized for both boys and girls. Other popular jewelry items include the Star of David necklace, which can be found in a variety of materials, shapes and colors.
2) Tiffany’s Jewelry: A gift from the popular jewelry company Tiffany’s is always a safe bet for a Bat Mitzvah gift. Classic gift items include the Heart Tag Charm Bracelet, which retails for $225 or the Tiffany Somerset Heart Ring, which also retails for $225. The best part about Tiffany's is that it never goes out of style and goes with everything.
3) Electronics: Many 13 year-olds, both male and female, would love to receive the newest electronic gadget. Whether you opt for a digital camera, iPod or iPad, you will most certainly succeed in choosing a modern and useful gift.
4) Money: If you are unsure of what to purchase, money is always appreciated and completely acceptable. It is best to write a check for an amount that is a multiple of 18. This number is the numerical value of the word Chai, which means life and any donation or monetary gift is traditionally made in a multiple of this amount. The multiple that you decide upon is up to you and should be related to your personal budget and relation to the honoree.
4. 5) The Gift of Giving: The most thoughtful gift is the gift of Tzedakah or donating to a Jewish charity in the name of the Bar or Bat Mitzvah honoree. TheBarMitzvahRegistry.org allows you to easily purchase donation gift cards, which the honoree can then redeem at his or her favorite charity. With more than 120 Jewish non-profits featured on the site, the honoree will be sure to find a charity that he or she believes in. Nothing beats the gift of giving!