5 Easy Mother's Day Breakfast Recipes
Mother's Day is mom's off day. Since it is mom's special day, there is no better way to say "I LOVE YOU" than with a homemade Mother's Day Breakfast In Bed to brighten up the day.
You could either make a surprise breakfast in bed on the same day itself or prepare the food a day before if the dish requires more time to prepare.
However, make sure that it is a secret between you and your siblings or dad.
Forget about the usual French Toast, poach eggs or peanut butter sandwiches.
Treat your mom a delicious Mother's Day breakfast with these mouthwatering breakfast recipes which are quick and easy.
You won't turn her beautiful kitchen upside down either !
By the way, majority of these recipes yield 3 persons, one for your mom and the others are for the rest of family members. Hence, you don't have to cook another dish, all at one go.
Wishing all mother hubbers a "Happy Mother's Day Breakfast" and enjoy !!
No.1 - Easy Pancakes
Rate Me Please !
No mom would turn away a couple of healthy pancakes packed with grated carrots and potato with chopped chives. These Potato and Carrot Pancakes are healthy, nutritious and not forgetting tasty for a mom who doesn't eat much. These pancakes are unique and different compare to the normal plain pancakes. The crisp edges and crunchy grated vegetables with egg result to a sweet mixture.
You can serve these Potato and Carrot Pancakes with sour cream or sliced red chillies or chillie sauce, depending on the preferences of your mother's taste bud.
- 1/2 cup carrot, peeled and grated
- 1 1/2 cup raw potatoes, peeled and grated
- 1 small onion, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup grated cheese, use your favorite cheese, any type
- 2 tbsp chives, chopped
- 1 1/2 tbsp plain flour, sieved
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 tsp salt
- black pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp oil, or olive oil or butter
How to make Carrot and Potato Pancakes
- Put grated carrots and potatoes in a large sieve.
- Press both carrots and potatoes with your hands to remove moisture.
- Mix in the pressed potatoes and carrots with chopped onions, grated cheese, chopped chives and plain flour in a bowl.
- Pour in beaten eggs, a little at a time and stir well at each adding.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Stir again.
- Heat oil in a flat pan over a medium fire.
- Spoon in 1 tbsp of batter into the pan and spread into a circle of not more than 10cm across.
- Cook for 3 minutes on one side or brownish. Then, turn over and cook for another 2 minutes.
- If the pancake brown too quickly, turn down the fire to the lowest.
- Serve hot.
My Favorite Cheese !
Perfect Grater for all purpose
Why You Need A Grater To Quicken Your Work
Because it is easier to slice small thin slices of potatoes and carrots rather than using the kitchen knife!
Trust me, I tried using the kitchen knife but no matter how skillful you can be, nothing can beat the Potato grater that makes my job easier and quickly done.
Just peel off the potato skins, briefly wash it, pat it dry and place the grater over a big bowl, scrub the potato against the grater and in jiffy, I got finely slices strips of white potato flesh.
It is the most useful and convenient kitchen tool I had. Should had bought it earlier!
Breakfast Recipe No.2: Soup Rice with Minced Pork and Laver
Rate Me Now!
How to reuse overnight rice?
Do you have some overnight rice in the rice cooker? Don't throw it into the bin! Instead of boiling porridge from scratch, reuse overnight rice by mixing with water and turn it into Soup Rice with Minced Pork and Laver for a change.
Laver has been known to reduce blood pressure especially those people who often feel dizzy and short of breath. A great combination or minced pork and laver produces sweet taste which blends well with white rice. This rice soup would definitely revitalizes your tired mom into a springy mood after a good meal in bed.
Tear laver into small pieces and cook with dried shrimps in soup. Sprinkle soy sauce and sesame oil on top. This makes a great and simple soup for the whole family.
Prepare time: 10min
Cook time: 20 min
Ready time: 30 min
Yield: 1 person
- 1 sheet nori / seaweed / laver sheet- cut into thin strips
- 70g pork - minced
- 1 stalk spring onion- chopped
- Overnight rice - 1 bowl
- If you don't have Bonito seasoning in hand, you could substitute it with Knorr/Maggi Chicken Stock Powder / Granules.
- If your mom doesn't like pork, you can substitute it with minced chicken / mutton / lamb or Vegetarian meat depending on her preferences.
- 1 tsp light soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp corn flour
- a few dash of pepper
- 1/2 tsp Bonito seasoning powder
- 1/3 tsp salt
- Add marinade to the minced pork. Mix well and set aside.
- Soak rice in boiling water for 1 minute and drain.
- Boil 2 cups of water. Put in minced pork and cook for 3 minutes.
- Put in seasoning and bring to boil.
- Pour hot soup with pork onto rice. Sprinkle laver , spring onion on top. Serve hot.
What IS Bonito?
Bonito is actually a FISH, a seafood that looks similar to Mackerel or Tuna Fish, popularly known to the Japanese.
This fish flesh has been dried and turned into powdered form for Miso soup purposes.
You can use this Bonito seasoning as garnish to enhance taste for rice, any soups and noodles.
If you can't find Bonito, try using Knorr Chicken granules instead.
Breakfast recipe No. 3: Mini Lychee Cupcakes
Do you like this cupcakes?
This is the first time I used lychee as the key ingredient in cupcakes and it came out really well. Seriously, they were delicious, spongy and sweet. You could either use canned lychees or fresh lychee fruits that are sold in wet market according to the season.
Just drain the lychee juice into a bowl, cut the lychee flesh into small pieces and mix them into the cupcake batter. Retain the juice as you need it later for the batter.
Since baking cupcakes may take 1 hour, bake these lychee cupcakes one day before hand and keep them in airtight container. Besides that, you could prepare the batter, freeze it in the muffin pans and take out how many units you need and bake it for your mom. This way, mummy will have fresh spongy cupcakes in the morning with a glass of fruit juice or her favorite hot beverage.
Prepare Time: 10 min
Bake Time: 30-45 min
Ready Time: 55 min
Yield: 12 mini cupcakes
- 200g flour- sifted
- 2 tsp baking powder- sifted
- 1 1/2 tbsp milk powder ( baby or adult will do )
- 1 cup corn flakes or cereals- finely blend or grounded
- 150g butter
- 100g castor sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 2tsp vanilla essence
- 100gm lychee, drained juice, cut into small pieces
- 1 tbsp lychee juice
- Sift together flour, baking powder, milk powder in a big mixing bowl.
- Stir in grounded cornflakes and mix well.
- Run in butter into flour mixture until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Stir in sugar and egg yolks, vanilla essence. Mix well.
- Add in pieces of lychees and lychee juice. Combine well again until it becomes a soft dough.
- Spoon the mixture into muffin tin, ready with mini paper cupcakes. Lightly grease a little butter in the paper cupcakes so that it is easily remove later to consume.
- Bake in preheated oven at 190C for 15-20 min or until golden brown.
- Sprinkle a little icing sugar on top after remove the cupcakes from the oven.
Breakfast Recipe No 4: Rice Vermicelli Soup aka Bihun Soup
This is a traditional soup that any Chinese or Asian people loves to eat in the morning to warm up the empty tummy. My mother-in-law used to prepare this Rice Vermicelli Soup in the morning because she claimed it is quick and easy, no need to fry anything that may mess up her spotless clean kitchen. Anyway, she used the cheat chicken soup stock rather than the homemade stock. Too lazy sit in the kitchen watching over the soup.
If the weather is cloudy, winter is coming and feeling lazy in bed, cook this Rice Vermicelli for your mom as the soup helps to warm up her body and sprinkle some sesame oil before serving. I am sure it will perk up her nose with the nice aroma to the soup.
Prepare time: 10 min
Cook time: 20 min
Ready Time: 30 min
Yield: 4 persons
- 500gm rice vermicelli ( bihun )-soaked to soften
- 100gm lean pork or chicken breast- sliced thinly
- 60gm shrimps- peeled, deveined
- 125gm mustard greens or any vegetables
- 2 cloves garlic
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 cup thin soy sauce
- 3 tbsp oil
- salt and pepper to taste
How to prepare chicken stock?
There are 2 versions of chicken stock. Homemade chicken stock which uses real chicken bones or chicken ribs and the cheat chicken soup with ready made chicken stock cube.
Both serves delicious stock but the homemade takes at least an hour to prepare while the latter is fast and easy, approximately 10-15minutes?
In order to see the differences and how to prepare the chicken stock CLICK HERE
Alternatively, you could substitute with canned chicken stock or anchovies stock cube.
Unable to find mustard greens in your refrigerator? Substitute it with other green leafy vegetables such as:
- White Cabbage
- kangkung ( Water Spinach)
- Baby pak choy
- Boil a pot of water. When the water starts to form bubbles, add in the rice vermicelli and turn off fire. Allow the rice vermicelli to soak in the hot water to soften them.
- Strain the rice vermicelli and transfer to individual serving bowl.
- Heat oil and fry chopped garlic until fragrant for 1 minute.
- Add in lean pork and fry for 5 minutes.
- Add in shrimps and soy sauce.
- Season to taste.
- Pour in the chicken or anchovies stock and bring to boil.
- Add in mustard greens and simmer for 3 minutes.
- To serve, pour in boiling soup over the rice vermicelli.
- Garnish with chopped spring onion, fried shallots, sesame oil.
Breakfast recipe No 5: Pasta with Mushroom Soup
Anyone craving for a pasta and warm mushroom soup ? Pasta is well known from Italy to around the world as a low cholesterol Italian noodle. The best thing about pasta is it is non-oily, fill up your stomach easily as it is made from dough and flour, versatile in cooking methods and healthy.
This Pasta and Mushroom Soup recipe requires less ingredients and easy to cook, anytime of the day. If you are cooking for a person, reduce all the quantity ingredients into 1/2. Use 1 sachet of Campbell Mushroom Soup , 1/2 bowl of pasta and some sliced chicken, cubes of potato and carrots. This is similar to the mushroom soup that you dine in Pizza Hut or Domino Pizza, creamy white sauce and simply herb smelling oregano to spice up your mom's taste bud.
Prepare time: 10 min
Cook Time: 20 min
Ready time: 30 min
Yield : 3 persons
How to cook pasta the right way
- a packet of pasta or spaghetti
- 3 sachets of Campbell Mushroom Soup or any type or 1 can of Campbell Mushroom Soup
- 1/2 carrot- cut into small cubes
- 1 medium potato- cut into small cubes
- 1-2 piece of Chicken keel / chicken breast- slice thinly
- 1 clove garlic-chopped
- 1 small onion or 3 shallots- chopped
- Dried oregano- chopped
- some Water
- some salt
How to cook step-by-step photos
- Grab an adequate amount of raw pasta. For me, 1 small rice bowl is sufficient for 2 person.
- Cook pasta as per packet instructions.
- What I did was bring to boil a pot of water. When the water starts to form bubbles, pour int all the pasta and add 1/4 tsp of salt. Stir well so that the pasta do not stick to the base of the pot or each other.
- And then.... wait......wait...
- Use a fork to poke the pasta. If is is soft , try to chew one piece. Edible?
- Strain the pasta in a strainer under running tap water so that these pasta do not stick to each other.
- Transfer them into a big bowl and add a little olive oil. Toss them well.Set aside.
- Bring to boil a pot of water, pour in all the cubes potato,carrots and slices of chicken meat.
- Use a fork to test the tendency of the chicken meat, test the potato and carrots whether they had turn soft.
- When they are cooked, removed them but retain the soup.
- In a pan, pot or wok, heat up 1 tbsp oil.
- Stir fry chopped garlic and onion to fragrant.
- Add in cooked chicken, carrots and potato. Stir well for 1 minute.
- Pour in the retained soup and add in 3 sachets of Campbell Mushroom Soup Powder.
- Stir well again. Let is simmer under low fire.
- When the soup has thicken by looking at the side of the pan/pot/wok, turn off heat. You can see a circle of brownish stain around the pan/pot/wok. Obviously, it is cooked.
- When you are ready to eat, scoop some pasta into a bowl and pour 2-3 ladle of mushroom soup over it. Sprinkle some dried oregano. Serve hot.
There are a wide range on branded mushroom soups around the market. The most commonly found mushroom soups are Campbell, Knorr, Maggi and Vono. Talking about pioneer brands, my mom always choose Maggi and Campbell for sure. Old folks tend to stick to their beliefs for ages. I did try out each brand to mix with pasta and spaghetti.
I would strongly recommend to buy CAMPBELL if you love thick , creamy mushroom soup. Each small box packing comes with 3 sachets which means yield for 3 persons. Sometimes, you may have a FREE sachet when there is a promotion. I used 2 sachets for 3 persons mushroom soup as the powder mixture are thick and packed with lots of small dried ingredients.
Maggi taste a little bland if you use 2 sachets. At least 3 sachets could reach the required creamy taste. Otherwise, it is watery and lack of mushroom taste. Alternatively, you could buy a can of mushroom soup for 3-4 persons. However, canned mushroom cost an extra $1 and you need to constantly stirring the thick soup in order to disperse the clotted soup.
Knorr brand has a wide variety of mushroom soup. From wild mushroom, cream mushroom, vegetarian mushroom, herb and garlic, mushroom with onions / cheese / croutons and many more. I tried Knorr once, 1 packet is adequate for 3-4 person. They don't sell in small sachets like Vono and Campbell. Hence, if you are cooking for individual, now
Which recipes would you likely cook for your mom?
© 2013 peachy