- Holidays and Celebrations»
- Hindu & Indian Holidays
15 Unknown Facts About Mahatma Gandhi
Here ask your questions to the writer.
Courage, sacrifice, determination, commitment, toughness, heart, talent, guts... that's what i am made up of. TO HELL with the sugar and spice!
Did almost everything for the freedom of our nation.
Yes.I am talking about that great historic leader who risked his life for India's liberty and still pretended as if everything happened because of God.
Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi,popularly known as Mahatma Gandhi.
His life was totally devoted to his country and its citizens.I myself consider him the most main character in the war of Independence.He was not only brave or outspoken but also he was kind and concerned about every living person around him.Many of us have chosen him as our ideals and we proudly call him as Bapu.He not only respected his motherland but he was very caring for his family members too.A person who is very well balanced and maintained in his social as well as in his personal live is very difficult to find in this earth now.Not only the Indians respect and love him but also people from other countries are very big fan of this historic leader.His ways of fighting are still appreciated and accepted worldwide.
Mahatma Gandhi Rare Footage Film Exclusive Videos
He went England to study law at the age of Gandhi’s policy of Satyagraha, based largely on Hinduism, was influenced by many diverse sources, including Christ, Leo Tolstoy, and Henry David ThoreauIn.In 1930 Mahatma Gandhi led hundreds of followers on a 240-mile march to the sea, where they made salt from seawater in protest against the British salt law, which made it illegal to possess salt not bought from the government. Mahatma literally translates to ‘great soul’ in Sanskrit.
On 30 January 1948, Mahatma Gandhi was shot and killed on the grounds of the Birla Bhavan (Birla House) in New Delhi.
1) In Gandhiji's autobiography he has mentioned that he was not a courageous or outspoken leader.In fact,he was so shy that he could not talk to anybody in his school and often ran from there.
2) Once he was boarding a train during which one of his shoes slipped and fell on the tracks.He then removed his another shoe and threw it near the first one just to help the person who would find the pair.This shows that how kind and helping he was.
3)Time Magazine, the famous U.S. publication, named Mahatma Gandhi the Man of the Year in 1930.
4)Gandhiji was regularly corresponding with Russian Novelist Leo Tolstoy.
5) Because one of his first teacher was an Irishman,Gandhi ji spoke english with an Irish accent.
6) During his days in South Africa,Gandhi ji's income touched fifteen thousand dollars a year.Still a dream for most Indians.
7) To see how cheaply he could live and remain healthy,he used to do experiment on diets.As a result,he started to live principally on fruits and goat's milk.
8) Being very fond of his mother tongue,Gujarati,Gandhi ji wrote his autobiography in this language and later his assistant translated it in english.
9) Gandhi ji hated taking photographs.but the fact is,at that time he was the only person who was hugely photographed.
10) As Christ was crucified on friday,Gandhi ji was born on friday,India got its freedom on friday and Gandhi ji was assassinated on friday.
11) Even having so much of power,Gandhi ji never travelled in plane.He was a simple person and liked simplicity.
12) Gandhi ji was having a very bad hand writing for which he was always worried.
13) He had a habit of getting body massaged by the other person which he always took as a very embarrassing thing.
14) October 2 was announced as the day of international day of "Ahimsa" by The United Nations.
15) He had a set of false teeth, which he carried in a fold of his loincloth. He put them in his mouth only when he wanted to eat. After his meal, he took them out, washed them and put them back in his loin cloth again.