Chinese New Year - Year of Dragon
Chinese New Year 2012
The Chinese New Year for 2012 fell on January 23rd and based on the Chinese zodiac, it ushers in the Year of Dragon.
Chinese zodiac consists of twelve animal signs and dragon is the fifth sign in the Chinese zodiac. And, if we use the five elements of the Chinese Astrology, the year 2012 will be the Year of Water Dragon.
So what does all this mean to you?
Ushering in Year of Water Dragon
The heavenly dragon has always been associated with the Chinese as representing an emperor and with that, power. Dragon is also considered unpredictable and untouchable. You cannot see the whole dragon at any one time, but only parts of the body.
To the Chinese, all this translates to an auspicious symbol of success and happiness. There will also be a lot of unexpected events in 2012.
Will these affect you? Depending on your birth elements, you will either has good luck or bad luck in 2012.
Since 2012 is also a water dragon year, and if your birth sign element is also water, then you are a very lucky person and will enjoy the benefits of 2012. Earth and wood element people may have some degree of good fortune. Fire element people may not be so lucky, as fire and water are opposing elements. Metal element people seem to be neutral and will have 'kind of so so' year!
How do I know what Chinese zodiac animal sign and element I belong to?
Chinese Astrology Five Elements and Animal Signs
The five elements in Chinese Astrology are fire, water, earth, wood and metal. Each of the animals in the Chinese zodiac is also related to each of these five elements. In this case, dragon can either has earth, water and wood elements. For these reasons, the lucky people for 2012 are those with either wood, water or earth elements.
To know what animal signs and elements in the Chinese zodiac and astrology, check out the table below. If you are born in January or February, please click on Wikipedia table for the exact animal sign (as the animal month is based on solar month and not the lunar month).
As for elements sign, you may want to get detailed readings based on your actual day and time of birth (and not just based on year). To get this info, you can Google 'Chinese astrology elements' for a website that will give either a free or paid reading.
Otherwise, the information given in the table below, suffice as a general guideline.
Chinese Astrology Five Element and Animal Signs readings based on your year of birth
Metal Dragon 1940,2000 Water Dragon 1952,2012 Wood Dragon 1904,1964 Fire Dragon 1916,1976 Earth Dragon 1928,1988
Metal Horse 1930,1990 Water Horse 1942,2002 Wood Horse 1954,2014 Fire Horse 1906,1966 Earth Horse 1918,1978
Metal Monkey 1920,1980 Water Monkey 1932,1992 Wood Monkey 1944,2004 Fire Monkey 1956,2016 Earth Monkey 1908,1968
Metal Rat 1900,1960 Water Rat 1912,1972 Wood Rat 1924,1984 Fire Rat 1936,1996 Earth Rat 1948,2008
Metal Tiger 1950,2010 Water Tiger 1902,1962 Wood Tiger 1914,1974 Fire Tiger 1926,1986 Earth Tiger 1938,1998
Metal Snake 1941,2001 Water Snake 1953,2013 Wood Snake 1905,1965 Fire Snake 1917,1977 Earth Snake 1929,1989
Metal Goat 1931,1991 Water Goat 1943,2003 Wood Goat 1955,2015 Fire Goat 1907,1967 Earth Goat 1919,1979
Metal Rooster 1921,1981 Water Rooster 1933,1993 Wood Rooster 1945,2005 Fire Rooster 1957,2017 Earth Rooster 1909,1969
Metal Ox 1901,1961 Water Ox 1913,1973 Wood Ox 1925,1985 Fire Ox 1937,1997 Earth Ox 1949,2009
Metal Pig 1911,1971 Water Pig 1923,1983 Wood Pig 1935,1995 Fire Pig 1947,2007 Earth Pig 1959,2019
Metal Rabbit 1951,2011 Water Rabbit 1903,1963 Wood Rabbit 1915,1975 Fire Rabbit 1927,1987 Earth Rabbit 1939,1999
Metal Dog 1910,1970 Water Dog 1922,1982 Wood Dog 1934,1994 Fire Dog 1946,2006 Earth Dog 1958,2018
How to use the table: If you are born in 1988, look out for 1988. You will find it in the top left corner section of the table.
1988 is linked to Earth Dragon, i.e. you are a Dragon for animal sign, and an Earth for the elements. Likewise, those born in 1928 also share the same characteristic as those born in 1988.
2012 General Forecast based on Chinese Horoscope and Astrology
The following general forecast based on Chinese horoscope and astrology, of how you will fare in 2012, serves as a guide only. For detailed readings, which involve calculation based on your actual date and time of your birth; you will need to go to a specialist website (Google Chinese astrology or horoscope). These websites will give you free basic information. However, for detailed readings, some websites may ask for payment.
- Born in Year of Rat: As dragon is an ally of the Rat, 2012 will be a smoother year for you
- Born in Year of Ox: 2012 will not be as good as 2011 but comparatively you fare a lot better than other animal signs.
- Born in Year of Tiger: You will have quite a successful year in 2012 which will bring you love, academic success and fortune.
- Born in Year of Rabbit: You will fare better in 2012 compared to 2011 with many good things coming your way
- Born in Year of Dragon: Even though 2012 is the year of dragon, i.e. your year, it isn't a good year for you but rather a mix of both good and bad.
- Born in Year of Snake: Things don't look too rosy. Your fortune and luck will see a steady decline.
- Born in Year of Horse: You will be facing a lot of challenges and if you manage to overcome them, then 2012 will be a productive year.
- Born in Year of Sheep: Better than 2011. You will have success in your career and financial matters.
- Born in Year of Monkey: Better than previous years especially in your career.
- Born in Year of Rooster: 2012 is your best year yet with many good opportunities and good fortune awaits you.
- Born in Year of Dog: Not so favorable as compared to previous years.
- Born in Year of Pig: Another animal sign that will have great success in 2012.
Ushering in Year of the Dragon
Thanks for swinging over to my hub, Ushering in Year of Dragon - Chinese New Year 2012. For related article on Chinese symbolism, you may want to read my Tangerines and Oranges : Chinese New Year Symbols