Cute, Homemade Valentine's Day Ideas
If you have had to tighten your budget you may be thinking of Valentine’s Day gifts to make this year. Homemade gifts are not only inexpensive but they are a unique way to show your love.
Whether you are an experienced crafter or just beginning, there are gifts that will fit your abilities. Here are some tips to help you have the most fun and get the best results with a minimum of stress.
- Start early so you have plenty of time to make the gift before Valentine’s Day.
- Take your time.
- Choose something that is not too far outside your experience level. If you have never knitted before stick with a scarf rather than trying a cable knit sweater.
- Make it personal. Use your mate’s favorite color, or some other way to let them know you created this especially for them.
- Package it beautifully. The big difference between a homemade gift and a designer boutique gift is often the way it is presented. With computers and printers you have the ability to make cool gift tags, labels, and other items to give it a professional finish.
Easy Valentine’s Day Gifts to Make
Homemade coupons are an easy gift to make on your computer. You can use different fonts and different colors of ink, as well as clip art to make them beautiful. You can have the coupons valid for things that are unique to your relationship or your spouse.You can also easily print coupons from the Internet.
Some coupon ideas are:
- Long, slow kisses
- Foot rubs
- Hair brushing (you guys DO know most women love their hair to be brushed, right?)
- Share a fantasy
- Going out to eat
Once you have decided on the coupons that you want to create and you have designed and printed them, you should decide how you want to present them. Will you put them in an envelope? Tie them with a ribbon? There are many ways to make this a very personal and wonderful gift.
The “LOVE” Jar
This is also simple. Get a large jar, a quart Mason jar will do. It should have a top. Make a list on the computer of 365 love things. These can be things you love about your mate, favorite love quotes, and promises. You can use Bible verses, create small coupons, whatever you like, just make sure there is one for every day of the year (so 366 in a leap year). Here are some examples:
- I love the way you look when you are asleep
- I appreciate how hard you work to support our family
- You have the most beautiful face I have ever seen
Print out the lists and cut each phrase into a separate piece of paper. You can make this really pretty by using pink and red or red and white printer papers. Place the strips in the jar and make a label for it that says something like “The Love Jar”. Put a cover on it and tie a ribbon or raffia around it. The instructions should tell them to take ONE slip of paper out of the jar every day.
Life with You Is So Sweet
This is one of the best Valentine’s Day gifts to make, ever. It is a little more expensive but very cool. Get a large apothecary jar and make a label that says, “Life with You Is So Sweet”. Place the label on the jar.
Now, fill the jar with your mate’s favorite candy. Candy bars, bags of M &M’s, Hershey’s Kisses, jelly beans; whatever you can think of. Fill it as full as possible. Tie raffia around the top. Who could resist that?
Crochet or Knit Special Gifts
If you know how to knit or crochet Valentine's Day gives you the opportunity to use your skills to make all kinds of things.
- Heart shaped potholders for your favorite cook
- A red or pink scarf
- Socks with hearts on them
- A lacey crocheted bookmark
- Crocheted stuffed animals in red and pink
- A granny square afghan in red, pink, and white
Conversation Hearts Frame
Use an old photo frame from the thrift shop to create a cute Valentine's Day frame. Buy small, wooden hearts from the craft store. Paint them in pastel colors and print messages on them. Glue the hearts around the outside of the frame and add your favorite picture.
Valentine's Day Basket
You can find baskets at thrift shops, garage sales, and craft stores. Choose one with a shape you like and spray paint it pink, white, red, or whatever color you like. Once it dries scrub it randomly with sandpaper to distress the paint. Hot glue flowers or ribbon to it and then fill it with your Valentine's favorite treats.
Kid's Valentine's Day Crafts
Kids can make cards and other projects for family and friends. Your local craft store has foam shapes of all sorts that you can use to create cute door hangers.
You can cut a heart shape out of cardboard, put a hole in the top for hanging, and cover it with peanut butter. Roll it in birdseed and you have a fun project that the birds will love.
Glue heart shaped pieces of construction paper onto a thin rectangle of poster board to make bookmarks.
There are endless possibilities. Use your favorite search engine and you'll find all sorts of fun projects.
Treats and Baked Goods
Never underestimate the power of food. Baked goods seem to be able to tame the wildest heart.
- Red Velvet cake or cupcakes
- Decorated sugar cookies
- Chocolate covered strawberries
- Cherry pie
Anything that you make is likely to be received with joy - who doesn't like a packages of cookies or a box of fudge?
No matter what you decide, Valentine’s Day gifts to make are a great way to add a personal touch to a very personal holiday. Use these ideas or use them as inspiration for your own ideas. Make every moment count because love is just that special.