A Father's Day Tribute - To My Dad
My Dad and Me
This is my favorite picture of my father and me. I found it a few months ago while going through the family pictures. I don't even remember the picture being taken since I was so young. Isn't he handsome? And he seems happy to have me on his lap.
What makes him wonderful to me? Well, it helps that I'm just like him. I agree with almost everything he says and does. My values match his. And what are those values?
My Father's Values - The Top Five Qualities
My father was hard to get to know because he was so quiet. But when you got to know him, you understood that he was a great guy with some wonderful qualities.
- Family man - His family came first. He called his parents every day. if they needed anything, he was there for them. He called my mother at least once a day from work to check in and to let her know when he was coming home (which was almost the same time every day). We went on outings every weekend. One day to the zoo or amusement park and the other to visit family.
- Consistent - You always knew what his expectations were. If he said that's the way something should be, he wasn't going to waiver, unless you could convince him that he should change his mind - which I did often.
- Great friend - My father had lifetime friends from childhood. He and his friends from the neighborhood they grew up in stayed friends until the end. I think that is remarkable.
- Generous - If someone needed help, my father felt it was very important to be generous with time and/or money as long as you had it to give.
- Great listener - It's not always easy to be a good listener. But my father did his best to hear and understand what other people were saying. He took his time in responding because he would think about the conversation before responding.
I hear so many people complaining about their parents. I would love to hear you talk about your father or father-figure.