- Holidays and Celebrations»
- Common Holidays
ABC's of Valentine's Day Ideas
Valentine's Day Gift Ideas
Permit me to begin by admitting that this site is as much for myself as it is for anyone else.
When it comes to coming up with ideas for what I want to give someone or do for them for special occasions, I am about the least creative person I know. It hurts so much for me to think up an idea that I end up procrastinating until I've missed the occasion. This gives my loved ones the impression that I am stingy, unthoughtful, and insensitive. Nothing could be further than the truth.
I would love more than anything else, to be able to think of cool, creative, imaginative, and useful things to do for those that I care about.
This website is the product of my research into finding those creative ideas for Valentine's Day giving.
Activities - A is for Valentine's Day Activities
Let's take care of the kids first. We all know that they consume most of our family life.....and we love every minute of it.
Kid's don't need "stuff". You don't need to buy them all kinds of toys and junk. They need your time. They want to do fun things with you, so let's come up with some activities for the children. They will cherish that more than anything you could buy them.
take a look through the links below to find some websites that provide tons of great ideas for things to do with the kids.
Then when you're done, you can get a babysitter and enjoy a couples night out.
- DLTK's Holiday Activities for Kids - Valentine's Day Section
This website is packed full of cards, coloring pages, crafts, puzzles, games, and more for your children to enjoy for hours. They have sorted everything into easily navigable links.
- BigActivities.com - Valentine's Day Themed Activities
Choose from a variety of Valentine's Day themed activity pages to get your kids thinking about Valentine's Day.
- A Kids Heart - A play and learn site with resources for children
Here's a bunch of links to games and activities for children. Be careful, though. Some of these games are addictive. Be sure to get of the computer and let your kids play.
- Enchanted Learning - Activities, Crafts and Cards for Valentine's Day
Crafts projects are for preschool, kindergarten and elementary school children.
Books - B is for Valentine's Day Books
Here are some books that might help you develop your love with your mate and to come up with more ideas to make the next Valentine Day very special.
C is for Valentine Cards
Cards, cards. and more cards. Valentine's Day is the first holiday that I remember giving cards to anyone. It all starts at an age when you preserve the coolest cards for your best friends - none of whom were the opposite sex. That would have been gross. Then you get to that age where you have a special card for a special someone.
Now you can send Valentine Ecards to all your friends and loved ones. This is a great way to brighten someones day.
Decorations - D is for Decorations for a Valentine's Day Party
Set up a room or party hall with a variety of lights, candles, and other decorations to set the mood for a lively children't Valentine's day Party. See how this group uses their Valentine's Day decorations.
Buy Your Valentine Some Heart Shaped Earrings for Valentine's Day
The heart is the symbol of love. Show your love for that special someone by giving attractive heart shaped earrings for Valentine's day.
Sterling Silver Cubic Zirconia Pave Heart Earrings
Sterling Silver Pink Crystal Heart Earrings Made with Swarovski Elements
Celtic Knot Heart Sterling Silver Hook Earrings
Facts - F - Here's a List of Valentine's Day Facts
- Every year around 1 billion Valentine cards are sent across. After Christmas it's a single largest seasonal card-sending occasion.
- Teachers receive the most Valentine's Day cards, followed by children, mothers, wives, and then, sweethearts.
- Children between ages 6 to 10 exchange more than 650 million Valentine's cards with teachers, classmates, and fagmily members.
- Of the 73% of people who buy Valentine's Day flowers are men, while only 27 percent are women.
- Amongst the earliest Valentine's Day gifts were candies. The most common were chocolates in heart shaped boxes.
- Verona, the Italian city where Shakespeare's play lovers Romeo and Juliet lived, receives about 1,000 letters every year sent to Juliet on Valentine's Day.
- Casanova, well known as "The World's Greatest Lover," ate chocolate to make him virile.
- Over $1 billion worth of chocolate is purchased for Valentine's Day in the U.S.
- 15% of U.S. women send themselves flowers on Valentine's Day.
- The most fantastic gift of love is the Taj Mahal in India. It was built by Mughal Emperor Shahjahan as a memorial to his wife.
- About 3% of pet owners will give Valentine's Day gifts to their pets.
- In the US, 64 percent of men do not make plans in advance for a romantic Valentine's Day with their sweethearts.
- In addition to the United States, Valentine's Day is celebrated in Canada, Mexico, United Kingdom, France, Australia, Denmark, and Italy.
A Valentine's Day Game
I ran across this game while researching ideas for this website. The Valentine's Gift Game is an incredible gift idea for your spouse (husbands would be particularly appreciative of receiving this as their gift). Click Here for the setup and rules for this game. It can cost as much or as little as you like, but it does take some planning and preparation to set it up.
Jewelry - J is for "Why Don't You Get Her Some Valentine's Day Jewelry?"
What woman wouldn't want to receive some beautiful jewelry from her sweetheart on Valentine's Day? Give her a gift that lasts for years to come.
I love my wife every waking moment, not just on Valentine's Day or on our wedding anniversary. For Valentine's day, though, it is a great day to commemorate and celebrate the love that I have for her.
When I chose to marry my wife, I had to give up some comforts, such as independence, freedom, and more. Now that I've been married for 3 decades, I realize that for what I had to give to have my wife, I got the bargain of my life. Marrying her has been the most incredible deal I've ever made.
Celebrate "Love" on Valentine's day for that special someone in your life.
A Picture Book as a Valentine's Day Gift
Somebody Loves You, Mr. Hatch is a picture book about a man who receives an anonymous note that says "Somebody Loves You." It's interesting to see the change in Mr. Hatch, just from knowing that he is loved.
Here is a recipe that you can easily prepare for your sweetie this Valentine's Day. Why go out to a restaurant when you can easily prepare an elegant meal at home for a romantic evening together.
- Prep time: 20 min
- Cook time: 30 min
- Ready in: 50 min
- Yields: 3
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/3 cup minced onion
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup fine dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 3 (5 ounce) skinless
- boneless chicken breast halves
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in garlic and onion, and cook until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 2 minutes. Pour in diced tomatoes and sugar. Increase heat to medium-high, and bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to medium-low, and continue simmering for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Once the sauce has simmered, stir in the cream and season to taste with salt and pepper. Simmer for an additional 3 minutes. Lower heat and keep sauce warm.
- Stir together bread crumbs, 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, and dried oregano; set aside. In a small bowl, whisk together egg and 2 tablespoons milk until blended. Dip chicken breasts into the egg, then press into breadcrumb mixture to coat both sides, shaking off excess.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add chicken breasts and cook on both sides until they reach an internal temperature of 160 degrees F (70 degrees C), and the bread crumb crust is golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- To serve, spoon sauce over chicken and top with Mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses. Let stand a few minutes until the cheese has melted from the heat of the sauce
Vacation - V is for Romantic Valentine's Day Vacation
Maybe the best idea for this Valentine's Day is to get away for a romantic vacation. There are so many places that are considered to inspire romance.