Is it ok to engrave a year date on a blank sterling Christmas bell or best to leave them blank?

I am buying my son one sterling silver bell a year for Christmas in the hopes that he will have a nice collection when he is older. Some of the bells are dated Christmas bells from the manufacturer such as Reed and Barton, but some are older bells or dinner bells and not engraved at all. As far as a collecting standpoint goes...is it better to leave them blank or could I have the missing dates engraved on those that are blank? Am I better off to stick to manufacturers collections that are dated or is it okay to have variety in the collection? Thank you!

henrydixon says

garyyoungberg profile image59

garyyoungberg says

pakpub profile image20

pakpub says