Billrrrr profile image 90

How old is Santa Claus?

In the 1800s, Artist Thomas Nash drew the illustrations that are used to this day to depict Santa. He's a jolly, chubby old man, but what age did Nash envision for his creation? Since we are living longer lives than people in the Victorian era, I suspect we will judge Santa as much older than Nash intended. I suspect Nash thought his cartoon man to be in his late forties or fifties. Today, I imagine people will say that he is in his 70s or 80s. What do you think? Is he forever 49 or 73 or what?

Samith Jhon profile image81

Samith Jhon says

• Billrrrr profile image

Bill Russo (Billrrrr) 3 years ago

I know that he never ages, I'm just measuring our perception of how old he seems to be in the common illustrations of him. It is part of a study on what year constitutes the start of old age.

Lisa HW profile image81

Lisa HW says

• Billrrrr profile image

Bill Russo (Billrrrr) 3 years ago

I like your answer. He is absolutely not 49, but when he was first depicted, I believe the artist thought him to be 50. That was quite old, a few centuries ago. Today, 49 is barely middle aged. Nice comment kid!

Justsilvie says

• Billrrrr profile image

Bill Russo (Billrrrr) 3 years ago

Yes he looks like a grandfather, but that's my point. My grandfather was ready for a rocking chair at 55, while I was still running in road races and doing five miles in under an hour at the same age. Now, at 70 I still work 3 - 5 days per week.

• Billrrrr profile image

Bill Russo (Billrrrr) 3 years ago

I think that Nast saw him as 50. I see him as 85 and the next generation will think he's 100. Our perception of aging is changing and soon in the U.S., retirement age will be about 75. I am all for it (speaking as a 70 year old)