purl3agony profile image 98

What is trick or treat etiquette nowadays?

My husband and I don't have children, but happily hand out candy to the neighborhood children. Last year, I was a bit surprised at the behavior of children in our neighborhood while trick or treating. We handed out fun-sized Snickers (which was considered the Cadillac of candy when I was a kid). Most of the children stared at me and seemed to be expecting more. Should we have been giving out more or larger candy bars? And very few of the children said "thank you". Is this too much to ask nowadays? Are we out of the loop on what to expect from trick or treaters? Or is this common?

Aime F profile image83

Best Answer Aime (Aime F) says

• purl3agony profile image

Donna Herron (purl3agony) 2 years ago

Hi Aime! I like your advice on how much candy to give per child. I'll definitely keep this in mind next year. Thanks so much for your response!!

easylearningweb profile image90

Amelia Griggs (easylearningweb) says

• purl3agony profile image

Donna Herron (purl3agony) 2 years ago

Your ghosts are so cute! Thanks for sharing!!

DzyMsLizzy profile image93

Liz Elias (DzyMsLizzy) says

• purl3agony profile image

Donna Herron (purl3agony) 2 years ago

Hi DzyMwLizzy! I agree I'm a bit disappointed by the behavior of some of the children in our neighborhood. Glad to hear you had some wonderful (and generous) neighbors growing up! Thanks for your response!!

Glimmer Twin Fan profile image97

Glimmer Twin Fan says

• purl3agony profile image

Donna Herron (purl3agony) 2 years ago

Hi Glimmer Twin! Sounds like things have changed a bit since I was a kid and I need to hand out more candy : ) Thanks for your response! Always great to hear from you :)

• purl3agony profile image

Donna Herron (purl3agony) 2 years ago

Thanks, peeples! Sounds like I'm out of the loop on this. Thanks for your answer!