Patty Inglish, MS profile image 88

April 9, 1959 is one of my favorite days to celebrate. On this day, NASA announced its first class

of astronauts, the Mercury 7, including John Glenn. He is the lone survivor today, teaching at Ohio State University in the new John Glenn College of Public Affairs at age 94. Who is your favorite astronaut(s) from any country? (image: Glenn in 1998 for STS-95, awarded the Medal of Freedom)

• Patty Inglish, MS profile image

Patty Inglish (Patty Inglish, MS) 2 years ago

Thanks for the YouTube link, because I never saw the actual launch. He really looks like he's strapped inside a tin can. It is rather shocking to think of seeing events over 50 years ago, isn't it?

Rochelle Frank profile image88

Rochelle Frank says

• Patty Inglish, MS profile image

Thank you for reminding us about Alan Bean. It's a long time since I've heard his name. Glenn is the only one I've ever met and I remember writing to him when he was a Senator and he provided helpful information several times.