purl3agony profile image 98

What is the common understanding or usage of the acronym "R.S.V.P."?

I always thought that R.S.V. P. was a request for a response to an invitation, both whether you could attend or whether you couldn't attend. But lately I've been involved in arranging some events where we requested invitees to RSVP, but have received few or no responses. When we've called to remind people of the invitation, they would often say "I can't make it, so I didn't bother to RSVP." Is this correct? I thought you were expect to respond both if you were planning to attend, or if you were sending your regrets. Is there a new interpretation of RSVP when requested on an invitation?

LoliHey profile image82

Lolita Monroe (LoliHey) says

• purl3agony profile image

Donna Herron (purl3agony) 21 months ago

Yes, it's sad to say, but I think you are right about people not responding. Thanks for your comments and answer.

Marian Designs profile image81

Marian Cates (Marian Designs) says

• purl3agony profile image

Donna Herron (purl3agony) 21 months ago

Hi Marian - Yes we always give a phone number and email to send their responses. It's been very frustrating and creates more work because we have to call all the invitees to remind them to respond. Thanks so much for your answer and comments!

bellaluna53 profile image60

Valerie Trapani (bellaluna53) says

• purl3agony profile image

Donna Herron (purl3agony) 21 months ago

Yes, I agree. Thanks so much for your comments!