- Holidays and Celebrations
Where to Find a Cheap Bellatrix Lestrange Costume
How to Dress as Bellatrix Lestrange for Halloween
In J.K. Rowlings' Harry Potter series, Bellatrix Lestrange is a colorful female villain character and one of Lord Voldemort's most devoted followers.. Glamorous, eccentric, and a little spooky, Bellatrix makes a great Halloween costume for Harry Potter fans of all ages.
There doesn't seem to be a good affordable ready-made Bellatrix costume available for sale anywhere online. What follows will show you how to make your own Bellatrix costume by mixing together other affordable store-bought costume items.
Portrayed in the Harry Potter movies by Helena Bonham Carter, Bellatrix is distinguished by her wild mop of curly hair, corseted black dress, wand, bird-skull pendant necklace, and overall gothic look.
Bellatrix Lestrange Outfit Ideas
Many costumes available for purchase in stores can serve as a base for a Bellatrix Lestrange costume.
3. Buy a Black Dress Second Hand
Another thing that you can do is to buy a long black dress, either on Ebay or at your local thrift store or consignment shop. The ideal dress will be black, long-sleeved, and cut below the knee but above the ankle. Depending on the dress, you may need to have it tailored or alter it yourself to make it look more like Bellatrix's outfit. While doing it yourself requires a little bit of sewing skill, it won't require as much time or expertise as making one from scratch. Try pairing an affordable costume leather corset (easily available at costume stores or online) with a second-hand black dress for an authentic look.
Turn a Black Dress into a Bellatrix Lestrange Costume
Once you've found the right dress, you can modify it to look like Bellatrix's outfit. If you purchased the Death Eater costume, you may not need to change it, but there are still things you can do for a more authentic Bellatrix look.
Step 1: Distress the Dress.
Use scissors to haphazardly cut at the bottom hem and sleeves to give the dress a more distressed look. Rub a little dirt into it, too. A well-worn look seems key for Bellatrix Lestrange's dress. It needs to seem like the dress has been worn many times and has not been washed at all. See the video below for how to distress a new dress.
Step 2: Modify the Sleeves
In the movies, Beatrix's sleeves seem to have been cut off from the rest of the dress and loosely sewn back on using thick leather strings, leaving a significant gap between the top of the sleeve and the shoulder seam. The sleeves themselves are cut up the middle, and loosely sewn back together, resembling the back of a corset or a tall bootlace.Recreate this look by cutting the sleeves off the dress and sewing them back on like hers. Next, cut the seam going up the sleeve and use the same string to sew it back together, leaving it open enough so you can see the skin underneath. You can see some of this detailing in the video below.
Bellatrix Lestrange Accessories
The beauty of this costume will be in the details, and you can give the dress a much more polished and together look with some accessories. These items are very distinct to Bellatrix's character and will set you apart from being just another witch or Death Eater.
- Corset. A corset or underbust makes a big difference for a Bellatrix costume. As long as it's black or another dark color, anything you have should do just fine. Real corsets can be pricey—think hundreds of dollars—but affordable costume corsets that create a similar effect can be found at costume stores or online.
- Hair. Don't forget Bellatrix's long, curly, scraggly black hair. If you can style your own hair then great, but if not, look for a wig. Like corsets, wigs can be incredibly expensive, but there are inexpensive costume options out there that'll work great for one night.
- Dagger. This may be a no-no for kids who wear their costumes to school, but for adults who dress up as Bellatrix a dagger is another important detail. You can purchase a replica dagger on Ebay or from the Warner Bros. shop, or look for an inexpensive alternative at a costume store.
- Wand. Like most Harry Potter characters, Bellatrix carries a wand. While you can use any costume-shop purchase, a true Harry Potter fan might want to consider buying the one from the Noble Collection. It's a bit expensive but a good collector's item.
- Bird-skull pendant. This is the only item that can't be found at any old costume or second-hand store, but is an important part of the costume. You can probably get away with any metal pendent or another type of skull. If you're really set on getting every detail right, though, you can find a replica Bellatrix necklace for purchase below.
This Noble Collection replica wand may seem like an extravagance, but it's a great collector's item for any Harry Potter fan and just the thing you need for the perfect Bellatrix Lestrange costume!
Dark Mark Tattoo
Like other Death Eaters, Bellatrix has a Dark Mark tattoo on her inner forearm. Using a pattern taken from the Internet, you can make your own temporary tattoo just like hers.
Bellatrix Lestrange Makeup Tutorials
These videos are step-by-step guides for replicating Bellatrix's hair and makeup.