- Holidays and Celebrations
The Best Adult Costumes Ever
Why Have A Costume Event?
Dressing up in costumes is as popular with adults today as it is with children.
Props n Frocks is a bit different from a lot of internet companies as we actually do have a retail/hire shop as well. The trend is to purchase a costume rather than hire (although we still have many customers who would rather hire than buy a costume).
Where Props n Frocks can offer a far superior service, than most of our competitiors online, is that we actually see the costumes and accessories out of the packaging (and being worn) and therefore, we can give you completely honest advice.
The two most popular reasons for an adult to dress up in a costume are:
* Costume party
* Charity event
Fancy dress parties are normally a huge success and provide happy memories for many weeks after the event. What you will find is that your guests will lose their inhibitions while dressed as an alta ego and the party will get going straight away without the need to wait for alcohol to take effect.
Dressing up in a costume helps to raise more money but please be careful which type of costume you choose.
You Can Contact Us 7 Days a Week By email, Or Calling 01245 327156
Fancy Dress Parties
Fancy dress parties have many plus points:
* Your party will get going straight away as your guests will lose their inhibitions while dressed as their alta ego rather than waiting for the effects of alcohol.
* You will have fantastic pictures
* Your guests will spend the evening crying (with laughter)
* It is cheaper to purchase, or hire a costume rather a complete new outfit (all the ladies are now nodding!)
Direct them to our website (and our blog - see below) where you will get a fantastic range of fancy dress costumes for every fancy dress theme you can think of
We have been told time and time again that if you dress up while trying to raise money for a charity, you will generally get more donations. Now there are many various ways of raising money nowadays and it is important that you really think about what you are actually going to be doing before you decide on which costume to wear. For example, I would not wear a full mascot type costume with an overhead mask if I was running a marathon. Yes, I know that people do run marathons in this type of costume, but they must be truly mad! But this type of costume would be great to hand out leaflets out outside a supermarket. However, do check that you are able to use your hands with the character's hands/gloves on as some of them are quite thick.
One other point when wearing a mascot style of costume is that you do not have full vision and it is easy to trip over small children who may be standing quite close to you! I would always advise you to have a helper with you at all times, preferably dressed in a complementary costume..
You must also be very careful that the costume is very comfortable as you may be in in for a few hours. Also remember that it is not so easy to deal with itches when in a mascot costume - it is vitally important that you stay 'in character' and therefore reaching inside or, even worse, taking off the head in public is a major no-no. No matter how popular the character, schedule regular rest breaks in a private area to cater for your comfort.
Licensed Character Costumes
- Licensed Character Costumes
This company makes licensed costumes such as Noddy and Big Ears and the Tweenies.
Yes, you may be surprised but we supply costumes for many weddings every single year.
The most popular theme is generally Tudor or Medieval, but we have had everything from a disney themed wedding to a 1920s Gangster theme.
Having a themed wedding has quite a few plus points as it does help for both sides of the family to mingle and creates a great atmosphere. The pictures are fantastic and all your guests will have a brilliant time - who said weddings are boring?
What This Hub Will Help You With?
This hub will give you examples of the different type of theme you could chose for your costume party. It will give you some ideas as to the amount of costumes that are available to purchase and how easy it is to get accessories for the theme.
It is only intended to give basic ideas. Every theme that is mentioned will eventually have its own dedicated lens which will look at the theme inmuch more detail.
What you'll see here is only a very small selection of what we actually stock. Please do not hesitiate to contact us if you need any advice on any theme.
Contact us 7 days a week on 01245 327156
The Top Five Reasons Http://props-n-frocks.co.uk is the Best for Adult Costumes
- Great Costumes to Suit All Sizes & Budgets
- Fantastic Selection of Accessories
- FULL MONEY BACK GUARANTEE
- FREE Shipping (over £60.00 ExVAT)
- You Can Contact Us via Telephone or Email
Mascot Style Costumes
These type of costumes are great for getting childrens attention, and are great for a promotion that involves children. As previously mentioned, this type of costume is also great to raise money.
You must remember that you are not allowed to use the image of a licensed character such as Winnie The Pooh. If you do, you are open to be sued by the company who own the license. If you are having a shop opening ceremony, for example, and you do want to be visited by Noddy and Big Ears, you will need to find an official licensed costume. I have included a link at the bottom of this lens that should help you. Please be warned - THEY ARE NOT CHEAP!
Non specific costumes are what we would recommend you to wear and avoid any trouble.
Some companies like to have a mascot made for their promotions. We have a selection of mascot costumes available to purchase, or we can make a bespoke mascot costume for you.
Adult Pirate Costumes
Pirates continues to be a very popular theme, probably due to the Pirates of The Caribbean films, starring Johnny Depp & Keira Knightley.
One of the benefits of this theme is that there are just loads of pirate accessories that are available to be purchased. This means that you may be able to put your own costume together without having to purchase an actual costume.
A pirate costume can be used for a book character theme (Captain Hook) or film theme (Pirates of The Caribbean or Peter Pan), or a beach / sea theme.
There is a large selection of sexy pirate costumes available for those who dare to bare!
The costume on the right is the official licensed version for Captain Jack Sparrow, although there are many other costumes on the market that could be used for this character.
Pirate Accessories Available To Purchase
- Pirate Wigs - for both men and women
- Pirate Telescope
- Gold Coins
- Coin Pouches
- Treasure Maps
- Shoe Buckles
- Hooks and much much more
The western theme is an old favourite and gives a lot of scope for a variety of costumes. It is also a theme where there are lots of accessories available, so you can easily put a costume together at home.
Think about where you are going to hold your party - an old barn would be fantastic. It is now possible to purchase 'scene setters' that make it very easy to re-create a western look in your front room but they do need to be fixed to the walls.
If you've got the room, what about getting in a rodeo bull? I did this once and it was very popular - I will not say how long I stayed on the thing for though (it was a total embarrassment!).
So, in this theme, you can have the following costumes:
* Saloon Girls
* Native American Indians
* Indian Chiefs
This theme is suitable for all ages and sizes.
A few examples of the accessories that are available for the western theme.
- Cowboy Bandanas - available in red, blue and pink
- Stetson Hats - available in a variety of colours and finishes for both men and ladies
- Spurs - available in pink and black. They are easy to fit over your standard shoes or boots
- Guns & Holsters - Various types and styles available. Please note- if the gun looks too modern it will be a blue colour now due to the new gun laws in the UK. Older style Victorian guns are still available in a more realistic silver colour. A pink and white gun and holster set is available for the ladies
- Western Rifles - Ideal for your sheriff costume!
- Western Ties
- Indian Headdresses - available for men and women
- Indian Wigs - Available for men and ladies
- Authentic Indian Weapons - this range includes spears and tomahawks
- Authentic Looking Indian Jewellery - the ideal accessory to complete your indian outfit
Superhero parties have been a popular party choice for a long time. There is a lot of different choice when it comes down to costumes - as long as you are male. For various reasons, until recently, female superheroes (and outfits for them) were not so numerous, but the situation is improving.. Accessory wise there unfortunately isn't a great selection, however you can still get the odd couple of accessories depending on what superhero costume you decide to wear. For example, we sell Wonder Woman boots.
With this costume theme, you can also evolve on it slightly and included Super villains as well. This is also a good idea as you can also see which of the other partygoers are secretly villains at heart instead (or just prefer the side of evil!).
Again with this type you can use the costumes for a number of other themes such as comic books , films, books and videogames.
Luckily there are a number of different companies that offer these costumes you can usually find the one best suited for you be it dependant on price, size or just the overall quality of the outfit.
Below is a list of examples of Superhero's (or Super Villains) you can use for parties.
- Batman / Batgirl / Robin
- Iron Man
- Captain America
- The Incredibles
- Teenage Mutant Ninja/Hero Turtles
- Wonder Woman
- Poison Ivy
- Harley Quinn
- Silken Spider (from Watchmen)
Wonder Woman Costume
Themes based on Disney characters is proving to be a very popular however it can be quite hard to find costumes on some of the characters depending on whether you are looking to buy them or just hire them.
This idea can also be made harder, or easier, depending on whether you are willing to allow Disney Pixar costumes or just Classic Disney costumes. However, regardless it is possible to get a number of costumes based on Disney films such as Snow White, Cinderella and 101 Dalmations. The bigger problem is finding costumes for men to wear as unfortunately there is a distinct lack of main male roles in traditional Disney films (lots of Disney Princess - no Disney Princes) and finding costumes for them is even harder!
Disney does not just do the traditional character films though,' Pirates Of The Caribbean', 'Toy Story' and 'The Incredibles' are all part of the Disney umbrella and these will give men far more opportunity and choice.
Below is a list of Disney (and Disney Pixar) characters you can use for parties.
- Snow White, The Seven Dwarfs, Prince, Evil Queen
- Cinderella, Prince Charming, Step-Mother and Step-Sisters
- Peter Pan, Captain Hook, Tinkerbell, Wendy, John & Michael, Smee, Tiger Lily
- Captain Jack Sparrow, Will Turner, Elizabeth Swan
- Aladdin, Jaffar, Blue Genie
- Alice in Wonderland, Mad Hatter, King & Queen of Hearts,White Rabbit,
- Buzz Lightyear, Woody, Mr Potato Head
- Mickey Mouse, Minnie Mouse, Donald and Daisy Duck Pluto, Goofy
- Cruella de Vil, Dalmatian
- Robin Hood, Little John, Maid Marion, Friar Tuck, Sheriff of Nottingham
- Mr Incredible, Mrs Incredible, Dash, Violet, Syndrome
- Ariel the Little Mermaid, Ursula the Sea Witch, Sebastian the Lobster
- Belle, the Beauty, The Beast
- Sleeping Beauty, Prince Charming, Maleficent
- Merida (from 'Brave')
Disney Costume SuggestionsClick thumbnail to view full-size
Film Based costumes
For a theme idea for a party, this is a really open idea, there are a huge number of icostumes to choose from, in fact you could probably choose any costume and be able to place it in a film of some description.
Some film characters will have a great choice of accessories, others may be more limited. You may also be able to go as couples and groups for this film theme. a good idea would be Scooby Doo, or the Flintstones. The more people that you need to like (and fit) the costumes, the harder it is. If you are trying to go as a group, be aware of al lthe varied sizes before you choose what you are going to go as.
Lots of cartoons, books and even video games have been featured in films, so your problem may be choosing what to actually go as.
These costumes can also range across a large range of prices, sizes and qualities, because of this, you can always find a costume that will match your needs.
Here is a small selection of potential films and film characters to give you inspiration.
- Blues Brothers
- Austin Powers, Vanessa Kensington, Felicity Shagwell, Foxy Cleopatra, Fembots, Dr. Evil
- Darth Vader, Obi wan, Darth Maul, Luke Skywalker, Qui Con Jinn, Yoda, Princess Leia, Darth Maul, Queen & Padme Amidala
- Ghost Face from 'Scream'
- Shrek, Princess Fiona, Snow White, Donkey, Prince Charming, Pinocchio, Puss-in-Boots...
- James Bond, Miss Moneypenny, numerous Bond Girls, Dr. No & numerous villains...
- Toy Story - Woody, Buzz Lightyear, Mr. Potato Head, Jessie
- Gone With The Wind - Scarlett O'Hara, Rhett Butler
- Harry Potter, Hermoine Granger, Professor Dumbledore
- Scooby Doo, Fred, Wilma, Daphne, Shaggy
- The Flintstones - Fred, Wilma, Barney & Betty Rubble
Some More Film CostumesClick thumbnail to view full-size
You can either specify a country that each person needs to attend the party, or have it as a free for all. Some countries have such a great selection that they could warrant having the party based just on that country. for example, America. This would give you loads of costume suggestions including Western, Hollywood, Disney, NASA to give a few suggestions.
We had someone in the shop the other day who had to go to the party as a country, as well as dressing up, they had to take some food that their country specialised in. This was quite interesting and gave it a bit of a twist.
- Scotland - Kilt, Tam O'shanter
- England - St. George Knight, Beefeater, Morris Dancer
- Ireland - Leprechaun, River Dancer
- Italy - Gangster, Nun, Pope, Priest, Gondolier
- France - Napoleon, Marie Antoinette, French Maid, Can can/Moulin Rouge, Berets
- Egypt - Belly Dancer, Cleopatra, Pharaoh, Mummy
- Turkey - Belly Dancer, Arab Man
- Mexico - Poncho, Latino Dancer
- Australia - Hat With corks, Kangaroo, Dame Edna Everidge,
- Brazil - Carnival Girl, Salsa/Samba Dancer, Footballer
- Canada - Mountie
- Spain - Matador, Flamenco Dancer
- Germany - Lederhosen, Dirndl skirt
- Japan - Geisha, Samurai
- China - Mandarin, Coolle, Chinese Opera Performer
- America - American Footballer, Cheerleader, Statue of Liberty, Uncle Sam, Cowboy/girl
Country Costume SuggestionsClick thumbnail to view full-size
We Offer a MONEY BACK GUARANTEE
This is a lovely theme to choose for your fancy dress party. There is a great choice of costumes and all the ladies just love dressing up in the beautiful dresses. Admittedly people can get a little confused (or cavalier) with their historical eras - a 'Medieval banquet' may attract costumes to include the Tudors - but this is a great opportunity for a colourful theme. Also be aware that some eras are more difficult to find a good selection of costumes for - going for 'Regency' or 'Georgian' can cause problems.
It would be fair to say that with the ever-changing historical fashions, ladies have a better chance of a good choice
Some men can get a little worried if they think they'll need to wear tights, so this might restrict choice in some eras.
Some Historical Costume SuggestionsClick thumbnail to view full-size
1960 & 1970s Costumes
This is a fantastic fancy dress theme, we all love the music (we even know the words!), the costumes are fantastic and there is a huge range of costumes and accessories to suit every size and every budget.
A lot of people get confused as to what is 60s and what is 70s. To be honest there was a huge overlap, so unless you have a very strict costume code, you should be okay.
To keep it simple, the 60s is all about mini skirts and hippy costumes,it was also the time of the mods and rockers. The 70s is all about glitz and glamour (don't forget your platform shoes and boots!). Punk also raised it's head in the 70s, so this is a theme you could use on its own or as part of a 70s party.
So you can see that the two decades together gives you so much costume choice.
Hippy Man Costume
Accessories for the 60s & 70s
- Eyelashes - Thick black for the 60s, anything goes for the 70s
- Boots - small heel for the 60s', as high as you dare for the 70's
- Wigs - a huge range to choose from from a beehive (60s) to a punk mohican (70s)
- Jewellery - from peace medallions (60s) to pimp rings and bling (70s)
60s & 70s Costume SuggestionsClick thumbnail to view full-size
Have you ever attended a fancy dress party?
Did you enjoy it?
Would you have your own fancy dress party?
Would you buy your costume online?
Runaround Emu - one of our hire costumes
Childrens Fancy Dress
Childrens costumes are regulated by European guidelines to make sure that they comply with certain safety criteria. Because of this, you will never find the extensive that you expect with adult costumes. The range of childrens costumes is increasing all the time as manufacturers realise that there is a gap that needs to be filled. We are also pleased to say that sizing has also been improved upon as the costumes used to come up very small.
Dressing up helps with a childs development, and because of this, many schools encourage their pupils to wear costumes on special days.This is particularly encouraged on World Book day. This is celebrated worldwide in early March. Children (and teachers) are asked to dress up as their favourite book characters. To be honest, we offer a large range of costumes that are great to use for books, but some kids will just dress up in anything, and the poor parents have to try to work out what book it could go in. We have even had Superman attend school, as the little boy quite rightly said, he was in a comic book, so therefore he was allowed (not sure what the teacher thought!).
I have uploaded a very small selection of our rangeof childrens fancy dress costumes, checkout the website, or give us a call, if you can't see what you want, we really do have hundreds of different costumes.
In the (UK) school curriculum, children now have to cover Tudors, Victorians Greeks & Romans, Saxons & Vikings and the 1940s. Many schools willhold days in which children are encouraged to dress up in correct costume. Many schools also tie this in with a trip out, or they may get a story teller in. Props n Frocks stocks all the curriculum costumes that your children may need.
Childrens Fancy Dress SuggestionsClick thumbnail to view full-size
Alice In Wonderland Costume
You May Find What You Want On eBay...
It can be nice to go as a couple (ah sweet!) to a fancy dress party? We stock so many couple suggestions, we can't put them all here, but we will list a few to give you some ideas...
List of Couple Suggestions
- Batman & Robin (we do ladies versions of both), or The Joker
- Scarlett O'Hara & Rhett Butler
- Bacon & Egg Costume
- Princess Leia & Darth Vader or one of the other star Wars characters
- Fred & Wilma Flintstone
- Morticia & Gomez Addams
- Captain Hook & Peter Pan or Tinkerbelle
- Dorothy & The Scarecrow, Cowardly Lion, Tin Man, Wicked Witch, Good Witch
- Anthony & Cleopatra
- Bill & Ben - Flowerpot Men
- Hansel & Gretal
- Superman & Supergirl
- Arwen & Gandalf
- Snow White & Prince Charming
- Cinderella & Ugly Sister, or Prince Charming
- Woody & Buzz Lightyear or Mr Potato Head or Jessie
- Mr & Mrs Incredible
- Mickey & Minnie Mouse
- Scooby Doo & Daphne, Fred, Velma, Shaggy
- Sylvestor & Tweety Pie
- Angel & Devil
Some More Great Adult Couple Costumes...Click thumbnail to view full-size
Halloween grows in popularity every year in the UK. There are so many Halloween costumes that we stock it is impossible to list them all here. the most important thing is to think about what you are going to be doing.
Are you going out Trick or Treating?
You will need to dress up warmly, but also you will not want to wear something that is too long. Masks can make the darkness hard to negotiate, so we would not recommend wearing a mask, especially if you are looking after children.
Are you going to a party?
If the party is indoors, you may get hot in a mask, you also cannot drink with it. If your costume involves a mask, it is probable that you will remove it once you have had your photo taken.
Check out our extensive range of Halloween costume on our website.