- Holidays and Celebrations
Birthday Gifts For A 5 Year Old
The Best Gift Won't Be Found in A Store!
I went shopping for my daughter's birthday present the other day. Being a weekend Dad trying to buy something a little 5 year old girl would enjoy was a bit of a daunting task but I bravely entered the first store. Soon after, the sales girl walked up to me and asked if she could help me find anything. I glibly replied, "I'm looking for something that will put the biggest possible smile on my daughter's face for her birthday next Wednesday." I expected her to show me a Disney toy or something, but instead, a funny look came over her and she became real quiet. I waited for her response and finally she said, "You won't find that in any store." Her voice quivered a bit as she continued, "Spend time with her, sir. I lost my daughter just a year ago....just spend time with her." As she walked off with tears streaming down her face I realized I had just experienced a pivotal moment in my life. And I'm hoping you're about to...
For you weekend Dads and Moms like me, or any parent really: When your daughter or son is with you, it's for a reason. It isn't for you to catch up on work, stick your head in a book, browse websites online or forward funny e-mails to your friends. Consider shutting off the TV and computer and taking your child for a walk. And don't just go through the motions: Hold their hand, notice things and point them out...build a relationship.
Hey, you still have some shopping to do!
If you think any of this let's you off the hook, it doesn't...come on, what kind of parent doesn't buy their kid a present for their birthday? But I've made it so very easy for you, just click on one of the gift links to Amazon or eBay below!
Melissa & Doug
I can personally vouch for the quality of Melissa & Doug toys. They really can't be beat in the quality vs. price department.
Can you get a quality toy for under $6 that's interactive too? This is a real wood toy train that comes with paints and decorations. A TOP SELLER!
Or maybe this wooden race car is more the speed of the child you're buying for. Same deal, paint, paintbrush and decorations ubder six bucks. You can't beat that!
Great Presents On Amazon - you can get involved with too!
They may ask for the latest XBox game but trust me, they'll be thrilled with one of these gifts, especially if you spend twenty minutes enjoying it with them.
Awesome! Buy me one while you're at it, lol!
Truly A Blast! Great Reviews...
One thing for sure: Mellissa and Doug means quality. You can't go wrong choosing this for a little girl.
Are you a Good Weekend Parent?
A lady once told me that every time she dropped off her two teens at her ex husband's home, he pawned them on his sister while he went out bar hopping. If you do that sort of thing, I'm not going to judge you, but think about changing things moving forward. Do you really want to have fun by making someone else sad? Trust me, your kids are very sad about your lack of interest or half-hearted interest in them and this isn't a "trying to scare you into compliance" thing at all, but know this: you'll pay a price for your neglect further down the road that will be exponentially greater than any perceived gain doing anything else. Think about remaking those plans some other time and giving your kids the quality time they deserve. If your response is, "This is how my Dad treated me when I was a boy," or something similar, I'd say, "It's time to let all that go, Brother. Break the cycle now. Grow up and be the Dad you never really had."
Be smart, use the limited time you have here on earth wisely! There's not a man, a woman, a date, a dollar and least of all a "friend" or anything else on this planet more important than your own flesh and blood. As the John Michael Montgomery song says, "Friends, they slowly drift apart, they give away their hearts...maybe call you now & then"...People and things that seem important now will very likely fade away as your life progresses but your kids will be part of your life for good. Invest your time where it will count long term!
Things To Do With Your Child On Their Birthday
And the rest of the year, too!
1. Go through the crayon box together tossing the broken ones.
2. Share a plate of crackers & cheese while taking turns making funny faces
3. This one is my daughter's favorite: Sit on the back porch in the evening talking and sharing a small cup of peaches or pudding.
4. Catch lightning bugs in a jar! Be careful or you might start having fun too!
5. In the winter, rub some moisturizing lotion on your kid's arms, legs or other areas their skin seems dry. They know this means you care about them!
6. Piggy back rides and just plain old goofing around are huge with kids. The sales lady was right, it's the things you can't buy that put the biggest smile on their faces!
In short: spend time with them and interact with them. You'll soon add to this list as you discover your own little traditions.
Some More Adult Things You Can Do With Your Child
I'll admit, a grown man or woman playing with kid's toys has limited appeal...to keep my daughter happy I've even had to play with dolls a few times...geez! But there are things adults enjoy that 5 year olds, or even younger children, can be introduced to.
My 5 year old daughter and I love:
1. Bicycling. At first I pulled her behind in a bike trailer but she's starting to ride her own bike now.
2. Billiards. I started teaching her to shoot pool about a year ago. She still has a little trouble with hand/eye coordination in regards to shooting but she can rack 'em up like a pro. I figure I better enjoy beating her now 'cause in a year or two....LOL
3. Walking & hiking are high on our list.
4. Kayaking. If you've never tried it, WOW, you really REALLY need to! It's just a blast and you can get beginner kayaks and all necessary accessories for both you and your child at a price point well under $500. See my Lens "3 Great Starter Kayaks, there's a link to it at the nottom of this page.
5. Don't forget things like swimming, tennis, badmitton, flying remote control airplanes...even flying kites can be a serious sport for adults when you get into the more expensive, high end ones.
Remember, there's nothing to feel guilty about, it's your duty as a parent to do these things ; )
Hopefully, as you get into this concept more and begin to have real fun with it, you'll start really looking forward to spending time with your child!
- 3 Great Starter Kayaks
Do you live near water? Kayaking is tremendous fun, and yes, your 5 year old is old enough to kayak with you! One of the recommends here is a child's kayak designed for ages 5 and up!