EASY Candied Pecan Recipe
Hot Out of the Oven Pecans with a Sweet Ginger Crust
So good you may have to hide them from yourself or give them away as soon as possible. No kidding, these candied pecans are like eating popcorn or some other hand-to-mouth treat.
Make them for a holiday party, as a dessert choice for a holiday meal or bag them up and give them as a gift...they are that good.
Ginger mixed with sugar is an idea that could be used on grilled meats and other dishes. Ohhh, maybe with meat that goes with an Asian cole slaw recipe. Oh, wait, I am getting off topic...the candied, ginger pecan recipe is below.
These ingredients make roughly five cups of candied pecans.
- 4 to 5 cups of pecans (halves without the shells)
- half cup of sugar (brown sugar works very well)
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground ginger (you can crush and grind your own but use a crysallized ginger instead of fresh ginger to crush)
- 2 tbsp. honey
- 2 tbsp. of oil (canola works best)
Consider buying in quantity if you are going to serve this recipe at more than one meal or event. If you are making gifts, a bulk purchase of pecans is the way to go.
- 2 rimmed baking sheets
- 1 small mixing bowl
- 1 large mixing bowl (must be able to hold at least 5 cups of pecans)
- 1 medium sized saucepan (must hold at least 5 cups of pecans)
- Parchment paper
- measuring spoons
- measuring cups
- Spoons for stovetop stirring and to mix the pecans in the sugar
Look for local pecan growers to get the best price on bulk pecans.
You'll need some ground ginger to make this recipe
- Preheat oven 325 degrees
- Place pecans on baking sheets in a single layer.
- Brown the pecans about 10 to 15 minutes. They should be fragrant but not overly brown or burnt. Rotate baking sheets 5 to 7 minutes into the browning process.
- Remove pecans from oven and set aside.
- Mix the sugar, ginger and salt in a small mixing bowl.
- In a saucepan, mix together the honey, oil and 2 tbsp of water. Bring the mixture to boil.
- Reduce to medium heat and add roasted pecans.
- Cook the pecan and honey mixture for about 3 to 5 minutes or until all the liquid has disappeared into the pecans.
- Move the pecans out of the saucepan and into a mixing bowl and add the sugar, salt and ginger mixture. Toss to coat the pecans.
- Place a piece of parchment paper on the counter and spread the pecans across the paper in a single layer and allow to cool.