- Holidays and Celebrations
Christmas Table Decoration | Topiary Christmas Balls Tree
Topiary Style - Christmas Balls Tree
In the on-going series of articles about Christmas table decorations, we are adding a new tutorial. The original Christmas Balls Tree article made in the traditional cone shape has been well received. I have had requests for a "how to" make a Topiary Christmas Balls Tree -- so, here it is.
This design for a Christmas table decoration is as easy as the first but with a twist: using a foam topiary form and a container instead of the cone and pillar candle holder. A list of Christmas craft Supplies, photos and step-by-step directions follow.
Now, get ready to make your own unique Christmas table decoration -- A Topiary Christmas Balls Tree.
Topiary Form for your Topiary Christmas Balls Tree
You can't start the project without the necessities! This topiary form is 10.5" tall and sports a 3" diameter ball on top. This is a nice size for a centerpiece. You could also get a tall form or one that features 2 balls instead of one.
Here is the list of supplies you will need for the Topiary Christmas Balls Tree:
- Topiary Form - you can make your own, but I have found through experience, the weight of the glass balls can cause a homemade form to slide down the dowel rod. Your best bet is to purchase a factory-made topiary form.
- Assorted sizes glass ball ornaments in your chosen color scheme.
- Filler beads/balls on wire Also referred to as floral picks or stamens.
- 2 yards of ribbon
- Container of your choice -- this should be a tight fit for your topiary form.
- Flat Floral Marbles for weight
- Hot Glue gun and sticks
- Wire Cutters
- Optional - Floral Clay adhesive
Stake out the kitchen or dining room table so you will have room to spread out and work.
DIY Christmas Decor
- Remove the caps and hangers from the glass ball ornaments. Remember, they are glass so do this carefully so they don't break.
- Tightly wrap the dowel rod in your ribbon, securing it at the top and bottom with hot glue (or tape if you prefer). Set aside remainder of ribbon.
- Starting at the base of the ball, right next to the dowel, apply hot glue to the neck of the glass ball ornament and immediately push into the foam ball. Continue working your way around the foam ball placing ornaments in a random manner. Turn the topiary form as you work so you can decide what size and color ball ornament to use with each placement.
- After you have covered the entire foam ball, go back with the filler and stick in holes where the foam ball shows through.
- Place a layer of flat floral marbles in the bottom of your container.
- Set the topiary form on top of the marbles. If the fit is not tight enough, use the floral clay to secure the form to the container.
- Cover the form with fabric, moss or colored flat floral marbles so the green base of the form is not showing.
- Tie a bow made of the left over ribbon on the dowel where the foam ball and dowel meet. Dove tail the ends if desired.
Cute Christmas Themed Pail for a Container - Christmas Balls Tree - Topiary
Very Christmas-y tin pail you can use for your container. Remember to weight the bottom with glass pebble filler or rock. you'll need something heavy so it won't topple!
Use Any Color Scheme You Want
Steps and Finished Product GalleryClick thumbnail to view full-size
All Above Images: DecoratingforEvents/Mandee
Which design do you like better?
Container Ideas for Your Topiary Tree
Happy Holidays and
a Very Merry New Year!
Christmas Table Decoration | Gift Boxes Centerpiece
Looking for handmade Christmas table decorations to make this holiday season? Making a Christmas table decoration is fun, simple and gives you a unique Chris...
Christmas Table Decoration | Gift Container
I love a Christmas table decoration that has a multitude of uses. This is exactly what the Santa Belt design bucket can do for you. It's a Christmas centerpi...
Christmas Table Decoration | Gumdrop Tree
Coming up with new, creative, yet inexpensive Christmas centerpieces or a Christmas Table Decoration for the holidays is sometimes a challenge. Here, we wil...
Christmas Table Decoration | Holiday Centerpiece
Coming up with new centerpiece idea or a Christmas table decoration of some kind for the holiday season can be a challenge. Answer? Open the kitchen cabinets...