Cinco de Mayo Recipes
Celebrate Cinco de Mayo with Delicious Food
It's so much fun to celebrate Cinco de Mayo and I love to make fun party food for the celebration. I've chosen the best Mexican recipes for Cinco de Mayo that are simply fresh and delicious. Enjoy these mouth-watering south-of-the-border recipe ideas for your own fabulous party menu.
Get your fiesta started with appetizer treats and the best margaritas. Then celebrate with classic recipes such as Spicy Guacamole and Cheesy Mexican Lasagna. With these easy Cinco de Mayo recipes, you'll be able to relax and enjoy the fun and celebration.
Cinco de Mayo (the fifth of May) commemorates Mexico's victory over France during the Battle of Puebla in 1862. Though it is observed in Puebla, Cinco de Mayo is celebrated mainly in the United States with Mexican food, beverages and music.
Guacamole is one of my favorite Mexican dishes and for chips and dip. This is a fun recipe to "play with" to add you own twist!
Make guacamole the authentic way - with a mortar and pestle.
Perfect for making guacamole and salsas. Made of volcanic stone. Easy clean-up with salt and water.
- 4 large ripe avocados
- 1 jalapeno, seeds removed
- 2 limes
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tbls snipped cilantro
- 1 small tomato
- Slice avocados and remove pits.
- Scoop out flesh and mash in a large bowl.
- Mince jalapeno.
- Mix in jalapeno, juice of limes, garlic and cilantro.
- Cut tomato in half and remove seeds.
- Chop fine and add to avocado mix.
- Add salt to taste.
- Serve with tortilla chips.
Cheesy Mexican Lasagna - * Make up to a day ahead and bake before serving.
I love the curved shape of this lasagna pan which can go from the oven and then to looking so pretty on the dinner table. Safe for oven, freezer and dishwasher. The red is so colorful and vibrant, but there are many other colors to choose from.
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 pkg. taco seasoning
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 cups sour cream
- 2 cups salsa
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 4 cups shredded Mexican blend cheese
- 12 tortillas
- sour cream optional
- green onions optional
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Grease a 13 x 9 in casserole dish.
- In a large skillet brown ground beef, breaking it up as it cooks.
- Add water, taco seasoning and garlic powder.
- Arrange 4 tortillas in the bottom of baking dish.
- Top with 1/2 ground beef.
- Mix sour cream, salsa and chili powder.
- Spread 1/2 over beef.
- Sprinkle with 1 1/2 cup shredded cheese.
- Repeat layer and top with remaining tortillas and 1 cup cheese.
- Bake 45-50 minutes or until cheese is bubbly.
- Let sit for about 15 minutes before slicing.
- Garnish with sour cream and sliced green onions, if desired.
Dessert: Learn How To Make Churros for Cinco de Mayo
Cinco de Mayo is all about having fun.
Use brightly colored serveware and linens.
Place vibrant flowers in small vases.
Ask your guests to dress for the occasion.
Play festive music!
Traditional Lime Margaritas
- 4 oz tequila
- 2 oz triple sec or orange liqueur
- 4 oz fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp sugar
- lime wedge
- coarse salt
- Rub the rim of each glass with lime wedge, dip in salt.
- Combine remaining ingredients in shaker or blender.
- Pour into glasses.