Daenerys Targaryen Costume
You won't find a ready-to-wear Game of Thrones costume for the Daenerys Targaryen character, but you can create something even better. Use the images and ideas below as inspiration to make your own version of the Khaleesi of Dothraki, Daenerys Targaryen.
- As the Mother of Dragons, she's a strong-willed leader determined to regain the Iron Throne once her dragons are grown. She is strong and ready to fight in a halter and long skirt.
- As Khaleesi of Dothraki she is regal, elegant, and even sexy in long flowing gowns.
Whichever style you choose, make sure to incorporate dragon scale stencils. The key to this costume is what you add to it: Belts, jewelry, and footwear, along with a great wig, will transform you into Khaleesi Daenerys. Use your imagination!
Daenerys Targaryen: Hair and Makeup
Her most distinctive features are her white-blond hair and pale complexion—the sources of her nickname "Silver Queen." Find and you have the essentials for your Daenerys costume ensemble. Her long, flowing hair is often held in complicated braiding patterns. Whether you choose to replicate this style or go with something simpler, you will still have the right Khaleesi look. the right wig and hairstyle
- Don't forget a wig cap! It's the secret to making a wig look like your hair.
Make sure you choose the right makeup to reflect her fair, pale complexion. Except her eyebrows, which are always dark and full.
- Keep your lips and eye make up light and subtle.
- The eyebrows must be dark and full.
- For a truly authentic look, a little dirt here and there isn't out of the question!
Glam or Grunge Daenerys?
Costumes for Daenerys Targaryen fall into two distinct categories:
• Soft, flowing gowns for court.
• Leather and metal for the wilderness.
Either way you will want to include dragon scale stencil details.
Glam Daenerys Costume
When the Khaleesi dresses up for court, her look is breathtaking. Her gown style is essentially Greek, made of two strips of fabric sewn up the front to the bust, then down the back from whatever level you're comfortable with.
- The fabrics are light and floaty, often transparent, though sometimes you'll see a heavier natural fabric like cotton or hemp.
- Daenerys' trademark motif, dragon scales, can be duplicated with the printable stencil below and airbrush or paintbrush (assuming you can't find dragon scale print fabric).
- The open-weave girdle and shoulder clasps might be a challenge. One solution is to stencil the dragon scale design on a solid fabric or leather piece and wear include heavy bronze armband with dragon design jewelry.
Grunge Daenerys Costume
Daenerys' wilderness or "barbarian" look features natural fabrics like leather, cotton, and hemp, plus metal accents and accessories.
- Look for a brown cotton, leather, or hemp vest or halter and a matching long skirt.
- Layer scarves and belts with Bronze Age-type pins and buckles.
- Find low-heeled boots in soft leather or suede.
- Age the materials with sandpaper, pound against a rough surface with a mallet, or even airbrush stains and scuffs. Your outfit should look well-worn, not brand-new.
Remember that the Khaleesi is the Mother of Dragons. Her clothing often includes dragon scales or are images of dragons. Use the scales stencil below to paint some dark green, copper, or iridescent scales onto your clothing.
Printable Dragon Scales Stencil
What's your favorite Daenerys look?
Vote for your favorite costume:
Daenerys Costume Accessories
The Khaleesi wears distinctive jewelry. To create an authentic Game of Thrones look, be sure to add a few well-chosen pieces to pull your entire ensemble together.
- Look for dragon-themed jewelry including pins, necklaces, and rings.
- Bronze Age-style ear cuffs or earrings for the grunge look and rough-cut jewel earrings for the glam look.
Mother & Child Costume: Mother of Dragons and her Baby Dragon!
A Little Dragon for Your Khaleesi Costume
If you can't bring a real child dressed as a dragon, find a stuffed or toy dragon and attach it to your shoulder. As the Mother of Dragons, you'll want to show your love for your children!
- There are beautiful, shimmery dragons out there. Find one that suits your look and drape it around your neck like a pet snake.
- Make a ostrich-sized egg and decorate it with scales. Your baby dragon egg! Carry it around in your hands or in a basket.
Unless otherwise noted, all photography credited to HBO, the source of Games of Thrones. (Thanks for the memories!)
Amazon Affiliate Disclosure
This author is enrolled in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Certain content that appears on this site comes from Amazon Services, LLC. This content is provided "as is" and is subject to change or removal at any time.