- Holidays and Celebrations
Daryl Dixon Costumes
Daryl Dixon: The Most Popular Guy on The Walking Dead
It's interesting to see how our favorite redneck Daryl Dixon has really come to the forefront of AMC's The Walking Dead. Daryl Dixon costumes are HOT this year, but you can't find them in any store! Instead, you'll have to improvise, but no worries, I can help with that.
On this page, you will find out exactly how to copy Daryl Dixon's style. Chances are, you already have most of the stuff you need in your closet or at the nearest Goodwill. Cheap is the way to go with most of this costume. Except possibly the crossbow, but we'll get to that in a minute.
Apparently, Daryl Dixon costumes aren't just for Halloween! Visitors to this page keep pouring in! Way to show some Dixon love!
Ready to get going? Read on for the best ways to create your own Daryl Dixon costume.
Daryl Dixon is a zombie hunter. He adapted pretty darn fast to the new world order and you can usually find the dude popping zombies in the head with assorted weapons. His favorite, though, is his crossbow.
For all that stealthy zombie killing and running away from the undead, Dixon requires comfy clothing that lets him move easily and quietly. He's also a redneck, which may account for some of his taste. This guy wears cargo pants most of the time and shirts with the sleeves torn off. That's pretty easy to replicate, but just a pair of tan cargo pants and a checked, sleeveless shirt, won't turn you into the Zombie Killing King. You need a few extra touches. First, though, we'll figure out the easy part: the clothing.
- Pants: You're going to want a pair of cargo pants with lots of pockets, ideally in khaki, brown, or olive green. If you don't have any cargo pants already, I recommend asking a friend.
- Shirt: Hit the thrift store or your closet to find some shirts. You're looking for plaid or checked button down shirts that you can tear the sleeves out of or t-shirts in grey and dull green. Blending is key here. When you get a shirt, tear that sucker up.
- Vest: You might also want to look for a vest with pockets. He wears those quite often, as well. Basically, Daryl Dixon can carry everything he needs to survive in just his clothes, so go for that kind of a look.
- Jacket: Bare arms are a signature Daryl look, but if it's cold where you live and you need a jacket, go for a battered black leather jacket.
- Boots: You'll need sturdy hiking boots to complete the look.
- Dirt: Fighting zombies and living in a post-apocalyptic world makes for dirty folks. Going out in a Daryl Dixon costume while clean is just wrong. If you don't want to rub dirt or mud on your face, you can buy fake dirt at a drugstore or costume shop. Personally, I like to make a puddle of mud in my backyard, smear it all over myself, and then add some ketchup to the mix.
Daryl Dixon's Crossbow
Daryl couldn't live long without his pretty awesome crossbow, so it makes sense that you'll need one for your Daryl Dixon costume. You have two options here:
- Make a fake crossbow out of household items. Do this if you only want the crossbow as part of a costume and you don't need it to actually function. It isn't very hard to make a fake crossbow: just take a long, thin piece of wood, glue a curved piece of wood or cardboard to the end, add a handle and paint the whole thing black. The video above uses an old windshield wiper, which is pretty awesome, but you can make it look pretty good with any curved piece.
- Buy a toy crossbow. Toy crossbows are actually pretty awesome. Amazon sells so-called "toy" crossbows that are completely functional weapons. If you buy one of these, you can have a lot of fun with it long after Halloween, killing all the squirrels in your neighborhood. You can even kill some in advance and use real squirrel skins and blood for your Daryl costume. Gross! (Seriously, don't do that unless you actually know about hunting.)
This toy crossbow has a 50 pound draw and can kill small animals from 25 feet away. Be very careful where you point it!
- Knife: Daryl Dixon always has several weapons on him. The actual knife that he carries is a Busse TG, but for the purposes of a Daryl Dixon costume, you might want to stick to a rubber knife or make a fake one out of cardboard. That's a bit safer, anyway!
- Gun: Again, Dixon uses several different weapons. If you have a toy gun lying around, stick it in your waistband and add it to your arsenal. With these three weapons, you will be ready for the zombie apocalypse.
The three accessories Daryl always has on him are his red handkerchief, his ear necklace, and his collection of squirrel skins.
- Red handkerchief: One of the things you will notice about Daryl in the show is that he always has a red handkerchief tucked into his back pocket. To make your costume true to the show, you will need one, too. Use a square of red fabric, a red bandanna, or cut up an old t-shirt. Then use it to mop the zombie blood off your face.
- Ear necklace: In the Chupacabra episode, Daryl gets lost in the woods and comes back with a necklace made out of zombie ears. This necklace has become an icon of Daryl's particular brand of badass. The cheapest, easiest way to make your own is just print out a few pictures of ears and put them on some string. If you want your necklace done right, you'll need to find or make fake ears.
Squirrel skins: If you want to be authentic, you're going to need some dead squirrels hanging off your belt. If you don't want to kill your own like Daryl did, I suggest going to a pet store and getting a couple of dog toys. It's a lot easier to find dog toys that look like squirrels than it is to find plush squirrels.
Dixon in Action
Why do you like Daryl Dixon? Will you be wearing this costume for Halloween?