- Holidays and Celebrations
Cheshire Cat Costume
Cheshire Cat Costume
The Grinning Cheshire Cat
Lewis Carroll's story Alice's Adventures in Wonderland introduced the world to the Cheshire Cat. Disney took Carroll's character and visualized it to film audiences. The pink and purple cat from Disney's animated filmed Alice in Wonderland is how most people would describe how the philosophizing cat appeared.
In 2010 Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland came out and challenged this depiction of the Cheshire Cat Costume. No more was he a delightfully purple and pink striped feline; instead, he had grey fur with blue highlights that seemed to match his eyes. His grin became more menacing that mysterious with the sharp individual teeth shown when the cat smile. Costumes inspired by Tim Burton's film standout against the cute animated inspired ones.
So when it comes to choosing a Cheshire Cat costume you need to decide whether you want you costume to be menacing or cute. Will you choose to where bright stripes or a greyish hue? Afterwards you will need to decide what costume tools to use to get the look you want. Will you utilize face paint, your sewing machine or find a costume at your local costume shop.
Photo Credit: Paul van de Velde reproduced under a CC BY.2.0 license.
Animated Costume Checklist
- Purple and Pink Stripes - Cats fur from head to toe.
- Cat ears and tail - The Cheshire Cat has a big bushy tail.
- Mischievous grin - A huge grin is a signature trademark of the talking cat.
- Cats Have Paws - You will want to be sure to cover you hands to give your costume more authenticity.
How to Make Your Own Cheshire Cat Costume
1. Decide on which version of the Cheshire Cat you would prefer to dress up as.
2. Find a pink and purple striped shirt pants or dress. Check out second hand shops to see if they have anything you could use in your costume.
3. Grab some make up and a face paint tutorial to try to create the look you want.
4. Make sure to add cat ears to your costume. You can add ears on to your make-up mask or create ears by gluing some foam ear shaped pieces with your hot glue gun to a headband. You could embellish the ears to give you costume a unique look.
Wonderland Cat Costume Tutorials
- Cheshire Cat Costume
Find full instructions to make the Tim Burton Cheshire Cat costume version.
- Sugar Tart Crafts: DIY Cheshire Cat Costume
Create a warm fleece Cheshire costume for your little one.
- DIY Cheshire Cat Makeup - Deviant DIY - Deviant DIY
Step by step instruction on how to paint you entire face to look like the Cheshire Cat.
- Cosplay Tutorial: Cheshire Cat Makeup Tutorial
Step by step photo instructions to show you how to get the Cheshire's grin.
Cheshire Cat Make-Up Tutorial - Create a fabulous Alice in Wonderland Inspired Look
The Grinning Cat
Cheshire Makeup Tricks
The above video showcases an inspired Wonderland cat makeover which focuses on fake eye lashes and colorful eye make up that gives a whimsical look.
If you go the makeup route with your Cheshire Cat costume you take on a more realistic look of the animated cat. Face paint works great to carve out the cats huge grin. You need to exaggerate your smile by outlining a huge smile. Your lips will be blended into to your drawn mouth. You will add vertical lines on the face to create the appearance of a huge toothy grin.
For a tutorial on how to get a cartoon Cheshire face paint look check out this youtube video.
If you do not want to wear a full face of make up you can draw out a mini mask that just surrounds the nose and eyes. There is a beautiful Cheshire Cat makeup mask on pinterest. For more face paint looks you can do an image search on google.
Cheshire Cat Costume Accessories - Alice in Wonderland Costume Suggestions
Remaking the Cheshire Cat
One of the costume choices for the Cheshire Cat includes a costume head. This head reflects the 2010 version of the cat. It features a huge grin. The fur is grey and blue. You will also notice that the costume head also showcases two bright blue eyes along with white triangular teeth.