Freddy Krueger DIY Costume Ideas
Dressing Up As Freddy Krueger For Halloween
So you want to wear a scary costume for Halloween this year? Well, Freddy Krueger is one of the most frightening characters I can think of. He attacks you when you are most vulnerable ... while you are sleep. He slips in, silently, and ruins your sweet dreams with his maniacal and cruel actions.
Freddy Krueger Costume Needs
Freddy Krueger Is On The List Of The Greatest Villains
Freddy is not only a creepy Halloween costume, it's an easy DIY outfit to put together. It doesn't cost a lot of money and doesn't take a lot of time. There are some features his costume has that you must get right, but other parts you can take a lot of license with.
Did you know that Freddy is on the AFI's (American Film Institute) list of 50 greatest villains? He is in really creepy company on that list because there are bad guys on it like The Joker, Count Dracula, Alex De Large, Dr. Hannibal Lecter, Darth Vader, The Wicked Witch...this list of movie villains reads like a great list of scary Halloween costume ideas. These characters are among the worst of the worst, and that is certainly where Freddy Krueger belongs.
DIY Freddy Krueger Halloween Costume Ideas
The most prominent part of the clothing in your Freddy Krueger is the sweater. It has red and green stripes...it is the most recognizable feature Freddy has except for his creepy knife handed glove. So pay attention to your choice for this piece of your costume wardrobe.
So to make your own Freddy Krueger costume here is a list of things you will need:
- Dark Pants or Jeans
- Red and Green Striped Sweater
- Green or Brown Fedora Style Hat
- Boots/Shoes in Brown or black
- Freddy's Bladed Glove - see the how to make Freddy's glove video
- FX Makeup or a Freddy Mask
- A Dark Trench Coat
Freddy Krueger Costume For Women
Here's What You Need To Make A Freddy Krueger Costume
Clothes & Accessories
Red & Green Rugby Sweater
Dark Fedora Hat
Glove With Blades
FX Makeup or Burn Mask
Who Do You Think Is The Worst Of The Worst Costume Theme Villain?
Which of these villains do you think is the scariest?
Pick Your Favorite Freddy Look From His Movies
Pick your favorite Freddy movie and copy his looks from it. There are some changes throughout the films so you don't have to be too picky with your costume wardrobe - except for the sweater and the bladed glove. Freddy also looks dirty and sooty...after all, he was burned to death. Rub your clothes with dirt to make them look gross and frightening, like Freddy Krueger.
I've put some pictures of this kid killer on this page so you can see what your homemade costume should look like. If you don't own, or cannot find, a striped sweater you can make one using colored duct tape. You just have to make green stripes on a red sweater or red stripes on a green sweater. This striped style shirt and sweater is called Rugby.
The Different Costume Looks Of Freddy Krueger
Where To Look For Clothes To Make Your Own Freddy Costume
Now you know what you need to create your own Freddy costume, so where do you find this stuff? Most of it will be stuff you already own so look in your bedroom drawers and closet. If you don't find it all in there go up to the attic and see if you can find some accessories you need.
Didn't find what you needed in your home? Well then, it's time to hit the local thrift stores or consignment shops in your neighborhood. There are always great costume accessories to be found in these used clothing stores. They are the best source of DIY costume clothing pieces I know of. These stores might be the best places to find that Fedora style hat Freddy always wears!
Freddy Kruger Trivia Questions
I love trivia so I decided to post some trivia questions here to see how much you know about Freddy Krueger and A Nightmare on Elm Street. The answers are posted below, so if you don't know some of these facts you can find the answers!
- How many minutes of screen time does Freddy Krueger have in A Nightmare on Elm Street.
- How many minutes into the film does the first person die?
- What was Freddy Krueger and how did he die?
- Where did Freddy die?
- What is Freddy's real name?
- Freddy's glove was brown leather and had 4 fishing knives on it. Krueger made it himself. What hand did he wear it on?
- What is the address of the Elm Street House?
- How old was Freddy Krueger when he died?
- What was Freddy's mothers name?
- What else was Freddy called?
- Who was the first person killed in A Nightmare on Elm Street?
- Who was arrested for Tina's murder?
- How did Rod Lane die?
Freddy Krueger Special FX Halloween Costume Makeup Tutorial
Freddy Krueger Trivia Answers
- Freddy Krueger is only on screen for 7 minutes in A Nightmare on Elm Street. It seemed much longer, don't you agree?
- The movie's first killing occurs at 18 minutes.
- Freddy Krueger was a child murderer and parents killed him by burning him.
- Freddy Krueger died in the boiler room, the very same place he killed his victims.
- Frederick Charles "Freddy" Krueger is his real name.
- Freddy wore his glove on his right hand.
- 1428 Elm Street is the house address.
- Freddy Krueger was 32 years old when he died.
- Freddy's mothers name was Amanda Krueger.
- Freddy Krueger was called the The Springwood Slasher.
- The first person killed in A Nightmare on Elm Street was Tina Gray.
- Rod Lane was arrested for Tina's murder.
- Rod Lane died in his jail cell, it looked like he hung himself but in truth, Freddy killed him.