- Holidays and Celebrations
DIY Jon Snow Costume from Game of Thrones
Create Your Own Jon Snow Costume
The HBO series Game of Thrones is a huge hit with viewers. Based on the fantasy novel series A Song of Ice and Fire, by George R. R. Martin, the live-action interpretation is a bold, colorful production. The costumes are incredibly detailed and lend a great deal of realism to the series.
Jon Snow is one of the main characters in the Game of Thrones story. He lives and works at The Wall, a frozen, desolate, and dangerous post for exiles and criminals. His costume includes the black garb of the Night's Watch, the brotherhood of men who guard The Wall.
It's possible to collect all the necessary elements to create your own Jon Snow black garb! Read on for more detail about how to create a convincing Jon Snow look.
Jon Snow and Ghost
Jon Snow Costume Components
Create your own Jon Snow costume with some easy-to-find elements (and some that might take a bit more effort!). The costume could include:
- Black turtleneck or long-sleeved shirt
- Motorcycle-style leather laced vest
- Baggy black pants to tuck into boots
- Black or brown cloak
- Fur wrap
- Leather sword hanger to wear around waist
- Bow, dagger, and sword with sheath
- Albino direwolf (or other fluffy white-gray dog)
There are several Jon Snow costumes available online, but this one is really unique. It's not inexpensive, but the costume is hand-made to your measurements. For the die-hard Game of Thrones fans, this unique costume will make your Halloween (or other parties!) unforgettable.
Facts about Jon Snow (Spoiler Alert!)
If you want to go beyond the costume and actually develop your Jon Snow character, here are some facts to help. You will be more convincing if you know more about the character and his relationships. These tidbits were taken from the books by George R. R. Martin, as well as the HBO series, Game of Thrones.
- Jon Snow is claimed as the bastard son of Eddard Stark, Lord of Winterfell.
- He was raised at Winterfell with the Stark children: Robb, Sansa, Arya, Bran, and Rickon.
- Jon and each of the Stark children had a pet direwolf. The pups were discovered in the woods near their dead mother, and adopted by the family. The Direwolf is the sigil of House Stark.
- Jon goes from being a bastard boy to the Lord Commander of the Night's Watch.
- He spends time with the wildlings north of The Wall, and kills a brother of the Night's Watch to convince the wildlings that he is one of them.
- A man of the Night's Watch is also called a "Crow."
- During his time with the wildlings, Jon Snow has a romantic relationship with a redhead named Ygritte.
- Ygritte frequently says, "You know nothing, Jon Snow."
- As Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, Jon makes several difficult and unpopular decisions to protect the realms of men.
- Jon Snow's direwolf is white with red eyes, and doesn't bark. His name is Ghost.
Jon Snow's Black Cloak
Any Jon Snow costume needs a black cloak, preferably with a furry collar. If you have a black cloak without a fur collar, any kind of fur scarf will add the needed effect. Below are links to some great pieces that will complete the Jon Snow look. If you can't find a furry cloak, a fur scarf around your neck will add the needed effect.
This cloak has a faux fur wrap attached around the neck. It's a little bit expensive, but if you don't already have a black cloak and fur wrap, this piece could really complete your costume. Think about all of the other costumes you could use it for in the future!
Jon Snow with Bran Stark
Do Your Game of Thrones Research
Watch Game of Thrones episode clips and behind-the-scenes interviews to get yourself in the right mood! You might pick up some more good ideas about how to make your Jon Snow costume authentic, clever, and fun to wear.
© 2012 Heather Weaver