- Holidays and Celebrations»
- Gifts & Gift-Giving
Gift-Wrapping Alternative: Easy Steps in Using Newspaper as Your Gift Wrapper
That's a Wrap!
Who gives a damn about gift wrappers? Let's admit it, we only care for what's inside that box or bag of surprise. Once it's torn, it'll end up in trash which is quite unfortunate. So why waste money for something that will end up in a trash bin after? Instead of the common colorful gift wrapper, why not use a sheet of old newspaper to cover your presents? It's cheap, it's everywhere and it makes such a powerful statement!
If you're on a tight budget and you're and advocate of a go green campaign at the same time, this is a brilliant idea for you. Shun those pricey Santa-designed wrappers and follow this step by step guide in using old newspaper to creatively cover your Christmas presents. Oh, Santa and his elves brigade must be so proud!
- Christmas Gifts (anything that can be placed inside a rectangular or square boxes)
- Rectangular/ Square Gift Box
- Old Newspaper/Magazine/Comics
- Scotch Tape
- Pine Cone
- Other embellishment
Step One. Place your gift in a box. If your gift is fragile make sure that it you put bubble wrap or shredded paper to avoid breakage when shaken.
Step Two. Get a broadsheet preferably the editorial page (this section of the newspaper contains less graphics).
Step Three. Wrap your box with the newspaper the way you wrap gifts using the traditional gift wrappers.
Step Four. Seal the gift using the tape. Once you have completely wrapped your gift, decorate it with ribbons preferably red and green. Place the pine cone and other decorative items related to the holidays over the crossing ribbons.
Step Five. Get your card and write your message. Make it heartfelt so your recipient would really feel special. Then attach it onto your gift.
- If you don’t want to use ribbons, you can twist it until you create a thin rope. Make sure to use a bigger page to create a long twisted paper ropes.
- If you want your ropes with color, place it on your water diluted with food color and let it dry. Then do the latter instruction.
- Aside from pine cones, you can use other decorative products that you can find at home or in your garden.
- If you want a glossy wrapper, use magazine pages. Just make sure that there will be no images of nudity and other offensive content that might be harmful to kids.
- You can also use these old newspapers in wrapping wine bottles, and other irregularly shaped gifts. Just Google it and you’ll know how.