Gifts for Premature Babies
Gifts for Preemies
The birth of a child is always so exciting, but picking gifts for premature babies can be a little more complicated than normal. Not only are many premature births unexpected, but there are possible complications. The best thing you can do is remember that even if the circumstances are different, you are still celebrating the life of a new baby!
When my little sister Natasha arrived, she was about three months early, coming in at a tiny two pounds and two ounces. My mom and Tasha were already at the hospital when we all piled into the care. We stopped to buy a gift on the way and that is when I realized things were a little more complicated. I can't just get a regular onesie, it won't fit her! What about toys? What will she actually be allowed to have it she may be staying in the hospital for a little while?
Here are some great ideas for gifts for preemies that both the new baby and the parents will appreciate.
Choosing Onesies and Body Wraps
All Babies Need Clothes
The average preemie will need to grow quite a bit before they can wear newborn sized clothes, but they still need cute outfits! Luckily plenty of companies have stepped up to make adorable preemie sized onsies and body wraps. Here are a few things to look for in clothes for premature babies.
- 100% cotton fabric. Babies naturally have sensitive skin and preemies tend to have skin that is even more sensitive.
- Easy access to diaper area for changings.
- Size. Preemie clothes normally come in two sizes. Preemie generally fits babies three to five pounds while micro preemie is for babies under three pounds.
- Outfits with sleeves or footie pajamas may not be able to be used if the baby is on an IV or undergoing other treatments. Generally any baby in the micro preemie size will be on an IV.
- Have fun and pick something cute! Every baby deserves to be dressed in adorable outfits.
Baby Clothes for Preemies on Amazon
Check out these cute outfits!
Little Me Layette Footie, Giraffe, Ivory
Cute giraffe outfit.
Gender neutral colors.
Includes matching hat.
Luvable Friends Preemie 3-Pack of Bodysuits
Embroidered teddy bear.
Comes in blue or pink.
Pack of three.
Luvable Friends Preemie Gown, Receiving Blanket and Cap Set
Comes in pink or blue.
Matching blanket and hat.
Little Me Frog Footie
Adorable frog design.
Frogs on the feet.
Great for boys or girls.
Nice and warm.
Owls Baggette; 2 Preemie Sizes
Lots of owls!
Available in micro preemie.
Little Me Footie, Geo Floral
Beautiful floral design.
Diapers for Preemies
Another thing every baby needs.
While the gift of diapers may not be quite as exciting for the baby, it is the type of thing new parents of a preemie will appreciate. There is a chance they weren't expecting their baby as early the baby decided to come so they likely don't have preemie sized diapers already purchased. This is the type of gift that can help take some of the extra worry off of a new parent's shoulders.
The only real difference between preemie diapers and regular diapers is size. Diapers for premature babies are so tiny, just like the babies! I remember when Tasha outgrew them, we saved the extras and she eventually started putting them on her dolls.
Pampers Swaddlers Preemie New Baby Diapers 20 ea
#1 Choice of hospitals.
Umbilical cord notch.
Huggies Supreme Preemies Diapers 30ct
Winnie the Pooh print.
Preemies up to six pounds.
Huggies Gentle Care Preemies Diapers, Size P, 30-count
Softest Huggies design.
Blankets, Booties, and Bears. Oh My!
More great gift ideas.
Clothes and diapers aren't the only options when shopping for a preemie. I mentioned at the start that we stopped to get a gift for my sister Tasha on the way to see her after she was born premature. In the end, we went with this adorable stuffed dog we named Barkley. Of course she couldn't sleep with it, but she loved being able to touch his soft fur. She still has it to this day! Want more great ideas for gifts for premature babies? Keep reading.
- Blankets make great gifts for all babies, preemies included. Try to pick cotton blankets if you want them to be able to use them right away. They come in so many cute colors and designs!
- Preemies have tiny feet, so they need tiny booties to keep their feet warm! These make a great gift as well.
- Find a cute hat or a set of hats. Babies can never have enough hats.
- How about a new friend like a stuffed animal? Make sure there are no small pieces that could pop off easily and if the stuffed animal has fur, make sure it won't get pulled out easily. High quality stuffed animals made especially for babies are your best choice.
- If you know the babies name, a personalized gift is a great option.
- There are a ton of options when it comes to baby room decor. Get them something adorable for when they go home!
More of My Recommendations
More gifts for premature babies.
Carters Keep Me Close Blanket
Embroidered bear face.
30" x 40" size.
American Baby Company Organic Cotton Thermal Blanket, Natural
100% organic cotton.
Gerber Preemie Accessory 4 Piece Set 100% Cotton
Cap, booties, mittens, and bib.
Jacqui's Preemie Pride Heather Gray Baby Booties
Several preemie sizes.
100% soft cotton.
Gerber Baby-Girls Newborn 5 Pack Flowers Caps
Five hats, one low price.
Gerber Baby-Boys Newborn 5 Pack Cars And Trucks Caps
Cute hats for boys.
Baby Aspen Monkey Magoo and Blankie Too Gift Set
Cute toy and blanket.
Aurora Plush 12" Baby Slushy Aurora Babies Polar Bear
Fine, plush fabric.
Beanie Boo's Safari the Giraffe
Official beanie baby.
Need More Options?
What kind of gifts do you think are best when going to visit a premature baby? Clothes? Toys? Useables like diapers? Honestly, premature or not, babies are babies and more than anything they want love and attention!