The Smell of Gingerbread Is In the Air
They say that smell can help with recall of memory, so what better way to retrieve those days of yore than through cooking!
Gingerbread is so versatile, and you can be very creative with it. We will look into the various ways to use Gingerbread. You will be surprised by some of the easy recipes below. Even though the holidays are over, you can still enjoy the warm smell of Gingerbread in the kitchen. Cuddle up by the fireplace and eat some of these delicious recipes. Your next potluck will be so easy with my gingerbread triffle recipe!
Photo Courtesy of: http://www.flickr.com/photos/brent_nashville/
Gingerbread Houses: The Quintessential Holiday Project
I know you've thought of it at least once. We see those cool gingerbread houses on display and think we can do it to! The White House has an elaborate display each year and makes us gasp in awe. Who knew you could create such wonders with dough right? Luckily, they make kits for those of us who lack the creativity to pull off something like the White House. It took about 250 pounds of gingerbread to make this monstrosity. Check out the kits below, and make your own Gingerbread House. Remember, if you mess it up then all you have to do is eat the evidence!
Gingerbread Houses Can Be Elaborate Or Simple
Find a Gingerbread House Kit
Bake and decorate your own Gingerbread Men
Prep Time: 20
Total Time: 30
Serves: Makes 2 dozen
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- In a large bowl, mix together the butter and sugar until smooth. Stir in molasses and egg yolk.
- Add in flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, and nutmeg and blend until smooth. Cover, and refrigerate for at least one hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut with cookie cutters. Place cookies 2 inches apart on greased cookie sheets.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes until firm. Remove from cookie sheets and cool on wire rack. Decorate cookies when they are cool to the touch.
Did You Know?
The world's biggest gingerbread man weighed 372.13 pounds and made its way into the Guinness Book of World Records.
Kitchen Supplies for Making Ginger Bread Men
Ginger Bread Triffle
This simple recipe is so pretty and fast!
- Ginger Bread Cake Mix
- 1 tub Whipping Cream (beaten until fluffy)
- 1/4 tsp. Cinnamon
- 1 can Pumpkin Pie Filling
- 1 box Vanilla Pudding
- Follow the Directions on Gingerbread Cake Mix and bake. Let cool completely.
- While cake is cooking, mix vanilla pudding as directed and chill.
- After the above have had time to chill, you will crumble up the cake into a bowl. Next, you will put a bottom layer of cake into a triffle bowl. You will then layer some of the pumpkin pie filling on top of the cake with a spatula. The final layer will be the vanilla pudding. Spread a thin layer of pudding on top of the pie filling. Repeat layers until you reach about 1/2 inch from the top of the bowl. Cover the triffle with a layer of Whipping Cream and sprinkle on cinnamon.
- This is both an easy and very pretty dish. I hope you enjoy!
Present Your Gingerbread Triffle In One Of These Bowls
Gingerbread Cream Cheese Bars
An easy, delicious treat for this holiday season.
Prep Time: 20
Total Time: 30
- 1 1/4 cup flour
- 1 TBS ground ginger
- 1 TBS ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup butter softened
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- divide in half
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 3 TBS water
- 1 package cream cheese
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Set oven at 350Â°F. Prepare 13X9" pan by lining it with foil that is greased.
- Mix flour, ginger, cinnamon, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whip butter and 3/4 cup of the sugar in large bowl with electric mixer until fluffy. Add egg and beat until well mixed. Beat in flour slowly until well mixed. Stir in Molasses and Water and spread mix into pan evenly.
- While cooking, beat cream cheese in large bowl with electric mixer until smooth. Mix in 1/2 cup sugar and vanilla extract until smooth. Refrigerate icing.
- Bake 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool for 15 minutes. Lift gingerbread out of pan using foil. Cool completely on wire rack. Turn over and take foil off. Spread refrigerated icing over gingerbread. Cut into bars. Store in refrigerator.