- Holidays and Celebrations
Halloween Jello Shots
What Are Jello Shots?
Jello shots are made with gelatin, water, and liquor. The liquor (vodka, rum or tequila) replaces some of the water or fruit juice that would usually be used to make the gelatin. Here in the United States, they are called Jello Shots. In the UK or Australia, they are called Vodka Jelly or Jelly Shots. The Shots are usually placed in a small cup, syringe or some such holder.
Ready to hear more about the Shots?
Photo Credit: Wikipedia, Public Domain
Jello Shot History
Don't You Wonder Where Jello Shots Came From?
A gentleman named Tom Lehrer, an American satirist and mathematician, was rumored to have invented the jello shots in 1950. The rumor says that he invented vodka gelatin to get around the restriction for alcohol on base. This is not true though. Recipes for gelatin with alcohol were found in a book, "How to Mix Drinks, or The Bon Vivant's Companion" by Jerry Thomas, published back in 1862. His recipe called for gelatin, cognac, rum, and lemon juice. It is hard to think that they had this concoction all the way back then, isn't it?
Photo Credit: Gabriela Pinto, Creative Commons Commercial.
This recipe is a basic recipe. Just make this then the special effects to add to it if you want some. You will find that it is very easy to create a bunch for your party guests.
Photo Source: Justin Grimes, Creative Commons Commercial
- 1 pkg Jello of Choice
- 1 Cup Boiling Water
- 1 Cup Liquor of Choice
- 1. Mix the hot water and jello powder.
- 2. Add liquor of choice and stir.
- 3. Pour into your 2 oz cups.
- 4. Chill until set or ready to use, whichever comes first.
- Now serve them to your guests who will slurp them out of the cup.
How To Make - Purple Tornado Jello Shots
This sounds like a very interesting recipe for a plain jello shot.
Jello Shot Books - To Help You Make Up Your Shot Creations
Brain Hemorrhage JellO Shot - Very Disgusting
Photo Credit: Gary Wood, Creative Commons Commercial
- 2 Envelopes Knox Unflavored Gelatin
- 2 Cups Water
- 1 Cup Peach Schnapps
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- Bailey's or a similar Irish Cream liqueur
- Cherry Jello
- 1. Sprinkle the Knox Gelatin over the 2 Cups Cold Water. Let this sit for a few minutes
- 2. Heat this mixture over low heat until the gelatin starts to melt.
- 3. Add your sugar and stir until both the sugar and gelatin are dissolved.
- 4. Cool this mixture until it is no longer hot and stir in your Peach Schnapps
- 5. Pour this mixture into your cups and let this sit until it reaches the consistency of egg whites.
- 6. Use an eye dropper and drops some Bailey's or whatever liqueur you chose into each shot. You may want to submerge the dropper so that when you release the liqueur that it is shot into the center of the Jello shot to get the right effect. Do this 2 or 3 times until a goopy, ugly mess.
- 7. To get a bloody look, mix up your cherry jello with or without alcochol. You can do just a small amount if you want to. Inject this with your eye dropper on top of the liqueur you added before.
- 8. Chill these and they are ready to gross out your guests.
Glow In Dark Special Effects
For Jello Shots
Want to make your Jello shots glow in the dark? How do you go about doing this? You use tonic water to make the jello item. It won't taste good by itself so use something like Malibu Rum to take the bitter edge off the tonic water in the jello. Once you make this concoction, put it in your glasses, a brain jello mold, a syringe or a petri dish. Use a black light and your jello will put off an eerie glow.
Photo Credit: Anathea Utley
Check Out The Halloween Jello Mold - You Can Purchase
Even though the molds say they are for jigglers, you can still use them to make Jello shots by making them with alcohol instead of the water.
To Your Halloween Jello Shots
There are many different ways to make these eyeballs. You just make them, place them in your cups and add the jello.
1. Make them with canned lychee nuts. Place a Dot Candy or Maraschino Cherry in the middle of the nut and add a bit of one of the Licorice Dots or a chocolate chip on the top of the Dot Candy or Cherry to make a pupil. To make these really have alcohol content, soak the lechee nuts in your alcohol of choice overnight before you make the eyeballs.
2. As in the photo, use the canned lychee nuts and add raisins to the centers. Drizzle with red food coloring tor the bloody effect. Make sure you pat the lychee nuts dry before you use them as they won't look right if the red food coloring gets diluted.
Photo Credit: Food Network, Public Domain
To Your Halloween Jello Shots
A good way to do this is to add gummi critters to your jello shots. This could be spiders or worms or any other type of insect you might want. They can be submerged in the shot or be sticking out of the top as in worms.
Photo Credit: A mixture of various photos to get my own creation.
How to Make Creepy Crawler Jello Shots - For a Scary Jello Shot
This video will show you how to make your Jello shots with worms crawling out of them.
Intensive Ward Jello Shots - A Creepy Way To Get Your Jello
Use a syringe without a needle to suck up your red jello. This will look like your syringe is filled with blood.
Use an IV or Feeding bag to add your jello shot to. The guest just uses the tubing to suck the jello.
Use a plastic petri dish to place your jello shot in. Add candy sprinkles, other jello powder or cotton candy mix to the dishes to make them look like they have germs on them. Serve the petri dishes with tongue depressors so that the guests can scrape out the jello.
Photo Credit: Paul Irish, Creative Commons Commercial